Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Scarab Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Back in TBC. One did not just downed Illidan. Back in the day world first kills happened few months after patch release.
    Also it wasnt just "giving" a legendary item, it was group effort where the legendary recipent contributed as well.
    I'm happy it's over, as a class that didn't get a legendary it fucking sucked, it didn't feel epic and it didn't feel like you were working towards something, you just knew somebody who was sucking the GM's dick and might not even be as good as you and other raiders is going to walk away with a legendary and the rest of you aren't

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    I'm happy it's over, as a class that didn't get a legendary it fucking sucked, it didn't feel epic and it didn't feel like you were working towards something, you just knew somebody who was sucking the GM's dick and might not even be as good as you and other raiders is going to walk away with a legendary and the rest of you aren't
    I never was eligible for a Legendary but I didn't complain. I'm not whining and coveting what others had. I don't have to have everything.
    And I don't know what awful guild you came from but the Legendaries usually went to dedicated players.

I appreciate the RP aspect of Legendaries, it adds a little spice to things.
    Whether I see them in Orgrimmar or fight them in a Battleground. It's quite nice to see rare things but I'm not a child and demand I have one.

The old Legendary acquisition method wasn't perfect but it was better than this welfare chit.

Scarab Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by HeedmySpeed View Post
    I never was eligible for a Legendary but I didn't complain. I'm not whining and coveting what others had. I don't have to have everything.
    And I don't know what awful guild you came from but the Legendaries usually went to dedicated players.

I appreciate the RP aspect of Legendaries, it adds a little spice to things.
    Whether I see them in Orgrimmar or fight them in a Battleground. It's quite nice to see rare things but I'm not a child and demand I have one.

The old Legendary acquisition method wasn't perfect but it was better than this welfare chit.
    Don't get me wrong I didn't complain I just didn't like it, I just don't like the idea of only getting a legendary if Blizzard flips a coin and decides it's your classes' turn for one this expansion and you're the highest ranked player of that class in your guild.

Hey guys, you all begged for this, remmember?

Remmember how you cried at end of WotLK? Remmember how you cried during Cata?

Blizzard just did what their faithful audience wanted, and welfare legendaries are just that. No need to be sad now, you didnt want others to be special little snowflakes, and now there really arent any special little snowflakes.

Enjoy it everyone, because this is exactly what you've all been crying for XD

i
    cast blessin' of the hood upon you...dem dat some heavy shit 4 sho

The Lightbringer judgementofantonidas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Very imperfectly filled.. I'm missing several
    from the peanut gallery. "caugh, yeah me too".

lol

There is no bad RNG only bad L2P

Quote Originally Posted by jsz View Post
    It's referred to as that by the people that quit the game every 3 weeks and won't be getting one.
    It's a welfare legendary.

I quit for 7 months. I'm now at 3/12 runestones. And that is exactly why it's called welfare.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    This legendary was soo easy they may as well have handed it out in 5.0. I mean, look at the REAL legendarys that took such great effort like the Warglaives and Thori'Dal and actually needed a raid group to get unlike this one that could be solo'd by a blind midget with ADD.

See what I did there? Next person to call it Welfare gets a shovel upside the head. After you dig your own hole

So, what did you do there? Not read all the other replies?

*Oprah Winfrey voice* YOU get a legendary, YOU get a legendary, YOU get a legendary, YOU get a legendary, YOU get a legendary. EVERYBODY GETS A LEGENDARY!

Quote Originally Posted by wordup View Post
    Honestly, I disagree on it being any different. Every legendary for people doing heroic or even normal raiding has just been either a bottleneck to inhibit raiding due to RNG drops, or been a free added bonus to killing a boss you're farming. They're just there. People seem to attribute a magical quality to them that they're super hard, mostly because they never put in the modicum of effort it takes (or more likely because it's not for their class) even despite how much easier they have become for years now.

The only reason people are hating them so much now is because they've put them on such a huge pedestal that actually acquiring one has ruined the magic they've built up in their minds of the legendaries they've never received, despite how well designed it has been and how good they are, and even moreso, how for ONCE the legendaries are spread out, balanced and fair; let alone based on consistent playtime instead of RNG.

- - - Updated - - -

NO.

You had to be attuned (which could be skipped with a vial from KT that existed at the time), alongside the Kara/Mag/SSC/TK attunements. 50 quests? Not even close. Time invested for attunements outside of raids in TBC pales in comparison to time spent farming sigils/secrets/runestones even in LFR, and they weren't any more difficult than LFR, because guess what? It's just as easy to get idiots in LFR as it was to get idiots doing heroic dungeon attunement quests in TBC.

Take off the glasses please.
    Go look up every attunement and the pre req quests like cipher of damnation. There was a total of close to 50 quests involved stretching from ciper of damnation and all the pre reqs to kara to ssc to tk to bt.

Sounds like someone didn't get into BT before the attunement was removed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    And now lay out the extra work you needed to do for the Warglaives?
    Aah yeah, nothing! You just had to raid and you were doing that anyway.
    Shadowmourne hardly challenged anyone, the quests are so freaking easy.
    Cipher of Damnation quest line. Attunement to Kara. Nightbane Quest line. Attunement to SSC. Attunement to TK. Attunement to BT because all of those were pre reqs to get into BT. Those quest lines all outshined the supposed work involved in getting the current legendary.

If that long quest chain item is not "legendary", then those previous legendaries would not be legendary either. Random drops are not more legendary.

Also, 24 people working for 1 player to get the item, is not legendary either.

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    It's hilarious how people are such hypocrites when you have people saying

"Oh you're just mad people aren't a special snowflake now"

vs

"I'm glad I get to be a special snowflake now unlike when I saw person X get it and I didn't"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    If that long quest chain item is not "legendary", then those previous legendaries would not be legendary either. Random drops are not more legendary.

Also, 24 people working for 1 player to get the item, is not legendary either.
    It wasn't a long quest chain. It was about 4-5 extra quests beyond what you normally were doing. Stop claiming you put in so much work compared to past legendaries.

People who got their warglaives would have raided BT, ssc, kara etc anyway. So stop claiming you put so much work on your warglaives.

I almost wonder if people are really just upset it's a cloak instead of a weapon.

Scarab Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    It's hilarious how people are such hypocrites when you have people saying

"Oh you're just mad people aren't a special snowflake now"

vs

"I'm glad I get to be a special snowflake now unlike when I saw person X get it and I didn't"

- - - Updated - - -

It wasn't a long quest chain. It was about 4-5 extra quests beyond what you normally were doing. Stop claiming you put in so much work compared to past legendaries.
    That's an awesome strawman you've built yourself there bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Txiv View Post
    I almost wonder if people are really just upset it's a cloak instead of a weapon.
    perhaps there is a certain element of truth to that. I for one find it a little weird to even think of a cloak as legendary. . .

but then again, i suppose Harry potter's father's cloak of invisibility was just as legendary in the Potter-verse as Dumbledore's wand. So i'll just have to deal with the cognitive dissonance.

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

A bit of a response to those talking about viewpoints of what a legendary is supposed to be it is interesting how GC bashes the accessibility of the legendary back in Cata and yet we have this. It could have been a factor to why it was not a weapon. We know the main goal of this legendary was to keep players subscribe and for such a thing the developers was willing to budge their beliefs of what a legendary is in order to stick a shiny enough carrot to make it work. I think had this been done in BC or WotLK for the mass populous that it would not have been a legendary and players would have still done it.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/4519250
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Speaking of raids, we also weren’t particularly happy with how accessible legendary items became in Cataclysm. Multiple characters in a single raiding guild were getting, and worse, expecting a legendary weapon. Legendaries are supposed to be rare and exciting, not a bar you fill up like some reputation grind, and certainly not something you feel entitled to get because it’s “your turn.” Dragonwrath in particular was usable by a large variety of class specs, which coupled with the guarantee to completion, just made them too ubiquitous. In the future, legendaries will be more legendary, perhaps so much so that not every raiding guild will have one. In that model, there might be those who almost, but not quite, complete one, but there will also be those who finish one and feel truly honored.

Quote Originally Posted by nekobaka View Post
    A bit of a response to those talking about viewpoints of what a legendary is supposed to be it is interesting how GC bashes the accessibility of the legendary back in Cata and yet we have this. It could have been a factor to why it was not a weapon. We know the main goal of this legendary was to keep players subscribe and for such a thing the developers was willing to budge their beliefs of what a legendary is in order to stick a shiny enough carrot to make it work. I think had this been done in BC or WotLK for the mass populous that it would not have been a legendary and players would have still done it.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/4519250
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Speaking of raids, we also weren’t particularly happy with how accessible legendary items became in Cataclysm. Multiple characters in a single raiding guild were getting, and worse, expecting a legendary weapon. Legendaries are supposed to be rare and exciting, not a bar you fill up like some reputation grind, and certainly not something you feel entitled to get because it’s “your turn.” Dragonwrath in particular was usable by a large variety of class specs, which coupled with the guarantee to completion, just made them too ubiquitous. In the future, legendaries will be more legendary, perhaps so much so that not every raiding guild will have one. In that model, there might be those who almost, but not quite, complete one, but there will also be those who finish one and feel truly honored.
    interesting quote. his definition is pretty much what I have read in prior years also from blue posters. as you suggest, the most obvious reason the cloak was made done this way was to encourage continuous subscription.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, John Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Agatha Christie, Steven Erikson & Ian Esslemont, Stephen R Donaldon, and recently Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Are there people who work hard and contribute in LFR, definitely. I'm not quite sure they should be awarded with a legendary tho, don't get me wrong, not saying they shouldn't get *any* gear - but a legendary seems pretty overboard when you consider how many past legendaries were obtained.
    I see what you're saying. I remember obtaining a legendary by tagging along for a BT run just for the achievement and then being lucky enough to win the roll. Two hours of my time and favorable RNG definitely merited that legendary far more than grinding away at LFR and persevering through all the wipes and trolls for weeks on end.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    interesting quote. his definition is pretty much what I have read in prior years also from blue posters. as you suggest, the most obvious reason the cloak was made done this way was to encourage continuous subscription.
    So, we see that the goal of subscription retention can cause them to do a 180 on some stated element of their design philosophy.

Sub retention has been bad this expansion, and is likely to get even worse. I wonder what they're going to reverse course on next?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler
    I hate these casual Fridays ruining it for real Fridays.

Quote Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
    The cloak is by far the most time consuming legendary to date, not to mention that a few of the scenario encounters were challenging and on par to those in cataclysm. Heck, week to week, you weren't even guaranteed a drop for quest items needed to complete the cloak. (Thankfully, bliz implemented for Lei Shen.) To call it a "welfare" legendary is to say you just got a hand out for showing up to raid-- something which is 10 times more true for other legendaries to date. Just because you don't have exclusivity anymore does not therefore take away in any form the sense of achievement.
    In all fairness I'd have to say that the FL staff was worse to get. In order to get that one you pretty much had to get your raid leader to funnel all the drops to you. There were three(?) stages of drops so only three raid members could effectively work on it at a time. On top of that there were extra bosses you had to get your raid to fight on the way. I'm still on the cinders portion of the quest myself. I have no inclination to finish. Maybe someday the area will be soloable and then I might knock it out over the course of a few weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    After 7 to 8 years playing this game, I can confidently say that Blizzard is full of shit and incompetent when it comes to game design and balance.
    And yet you've stuck with the game for 7 to 8 years. That tells me you have way too much time on your hands.

well it's a welfare legendary, even calling it legendary is an insult for the people who actually spent their time to make a proper legendary.
    the back have only the color of a legendary but it's time to realize the term legendary died with cata.