Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Should repeatedly AFKing in LFR get you temp "banned" from them?

One thing we see a worrying amount of on this forum are people who are absolutely certain they're "too good for LFR" and make claims that they go AFK and just receive their loot (including Legendary quest items). The worst part about this is how it's used to show that "the legendary quests in mop are just too easy."

If LFR wipes happen because of low DPS and good players not taking active roles in preventing wipe mechanics, shouldn't the obvious solution be to have AFK detection start keeping track of how many times someone is AFK in an LFR, say a minimum of 10 minutes, then on the third strike they're automatically locked out of every boss in LFR for the next week.

You don't contribute, you don't get your reward. Simple as that.

Should be a temp ban from the game, not just LFR.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't make a difference. It would go from AFK and get loot, to Die in the first mechanic and get loot. You're not going to stop people from taking the easy/lazy way out.
    Failbuff made it even easier, because more lfrs I've been in have been able to overcome afk'ers with only 1 stack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Wouldn't make a difference. It would go from AFK and get loot, to Die in the first mechanic and get loot. You're not going to stop people from taking the easy/lazy way out.
    Failbuff made it even easier, because more lfrs I've been in have been able to overcome afk'ers with only 1 stack.
    This, basically. I agree there should be a ban from LFR to hinder people from AFKing, but even then the "craftier" of them will just die on purpose or autoattack the boss.

If anything it will at least make them do stuff during long trash pulls in raids like SoO or ToT.

Simply if someone gets vote-kicked so many times than it is assumed that they are either AFKing or being a total douche. With so many marks on your account, a GM could go in and go "oh hey, this guy got votekicked 20 times in the past few months, I should check why!" and than ban the guy for a few weeks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

10+ Year Old Account
    Should be a perma lfr ban account wide imo

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think there's a fair, reliable way to automatically detect AFK players in LFR. There might be and if so I would be in favor of using it to discourage the behavior, but I don't know offhand how you could detect the people who are deliberately trying not to participate but hit a key every 30 or 90 seconds, versus the people whose baby is crying, dinner is boiling over, et cetera.

Also, there is probably too much work involved for not much return to have GMs review reports of inactive/nonparticipating players.

If there's a reliable way to do it though I am all for banning people from all random queuing systems (or even the game) if it is determined that they are systematically exploiting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vongimi View Post
    Should be a temp ban from the game, not just LFR.
    It should be a perm ban for inciting for bans.

Answer to ops question; no it should not. Lower the hp amount of lfr bosses and trash and 80% will stop afking. (inb4 omg lfr is alread too eeeeezzzzz)

Just add BG-like anti-afk report system, with autokick on /afk.
    Still it may solve the symptoms but won't cure the main problem, which is the reason people go afk in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by NSrm View Post
    Answer to ops question; no it should not. Lower the hp amount of lfr bosses and trash and 80% will stop afking. (inb4 omg lfr is alread too eeeeezzzzz)
    This is actually true, I think. I personally AFK a lot in LFR because it's insanely boring and fights last forever. People actually trying pull 40-60k DPS in 500+ ilvl. It's just stupid. I realize that it goes slower if I AFK, and that's true, but I can at least go do something productive in the meantime somewhere else (and I usually heal anyway, and honestly LFR can be done with 2 healers, nevermind 6). There's no reason a LFR boss should take 10 minutes to kill. I'd be far more apt to actually sit and do a rotation other than auto attacking if I knew it'd be done in 5 minutes, but knowing I'll have to sit for there 10 minutes because 15 out of the 17 DPS only pull 40-50k is just discouraging and sad. I'd rather go make dinner or watch TV or something during boss fights instead.

Deleted
    Yes, I agree with this, there's too many afk idiots in lfr to make it viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    This is actually true, I think. I personally AFK a lot in LFR because it's insanely boring and fights last forever. People actually trying pull 40-60k DPS in 500+ ilvl. It's just stupid. I realize that it goes slower if I AFK, and that's true, but I can at least go do something productive in the meantime somewhere else (and I usually heal anyway, and honestly LFR can be done with 2 healers, nevermind 6). There's no reason a LFR boss should take 10 minutes to kill. I'd be far more apt to actually sit and do a rotation other than auto attacking if I knew it'd be done in 5 minutes, but knowing I'll have to sit for there 10 minutes because 15 out of the 17 DPS only pull 40-50k is just discouraging and sad. I'd rather go make dinner or watch TV or something during boss fights instead.
    I agree The fights are stupidly long. But they are stuipdly easy
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

Deleted
    Use a system like the fail buff, % activity within a set amount time to qualify for loot, if you afk or fail abysmally at the start you don't deserve loot.

I'd love to see some kind of banning for AFK leechers, or at the very least, a removal of any gear/rewards "earned" that way like happened with pvp gear when they first implemented AFK detection. A shortening of the combat cd before kick would help no end, the number of times the whole raid knows someone's afk but can't actually kick them thanks to "gogogo" chainpulling tanks drives me crazy. Or just make it so the combat cd only applies to anyone who's done something useful in that time; ie, those of us actually fighting are safe, those afk'ing are kickable (with obvious safeguards for the dead on bossfights, provided they seemed to be making an effort when they were alive).

Oh sure, we can carry the slackers, but I don't really see why we should. As a healer, to the guy above who says LFR only needs 2 healers... well, yes, from experience I know that one to be true, but it's actually bloody stressful for the poor sod who's left trying to cover all of the healing in LFR level gear (that'd be me), while the well-geared raider types who could do so much more if they wanted to just sit around doing nothing. As someone who gives my all in every raid I join, whatever the level, it really irritates me when people can't be bothered doing anything - don't join if you don't want to do it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by NSrm View Post
    Lower the hp amount of lfr bosses and trash and 80% will stop afking. (inb4 omg lfr is alread too eeeeezzzzz)
    Eh. Maybe not boss fights. Trash, yes...ToT has a ton of trash that takes up a lot of time for the average group.

10+ Year Old Account
    Almost in every LFR-group i've been in the players not pulling their weight are usually immediately kicked right after a wipe and then the problem's sorted.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    It should be banned by account for 24 hours too many people get a timer thats it they keep doing it. It promotes the players quitting wow less afkers less stress

There should be no auto detection in LFR as with any system you can get around it. The players in LFR should be the ones to monitor it. As long as the boss dies and it was smooth most people dont mind and an AFKer can probably get away with it if not spotted. Last night on durumu on my shaman we had 3 wipes and we kicked a healer who was afking. Same thing the other day when someone was AFKing funnily enough this "healer" was moaning about low heals from the rest of the healers. I checked his over healing and he was 90% and was just healing the tank and nothing else thus inflating his "healing done". I was on my newly dinged shaman who admittedly ive had no idea how to play as resto since the last time I was a healer was in Vanilla.

I did fairly well was aoe healing the raid and did not have much over healing. We kicked this healer who went afk on trash (he moaned a lot so people noticed him and saw the fucker afked on trash with out saying anything and was kicked fast!)

It really is down to the group to action it. The only thing blizzard could do would be a temp ban for 2 days for x amount of kicks in LFR/LFD as anything longer would probably mean a lost sub.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree. People who routinely afk in LFR should receive temporary suspensions from the game. I would personally send them a message as follows:

"Dear Omgpallyopness,

It has come to our attention that while participating in several LFR runs recently, you appear to have fallen asleep at your keyboard. While we love that you are very devoted to our game, we take the health of our customers very seriously and have therefore decided that you need a short break from the game to catch up on some much needed sleep. 24 hours should suffice. If your symptoms persist we may decide to reward you with an even longer break.

Luckily, a further benefit of this intervention is that you will not be running the risk of having everyone else thinking you're a lazy little douche either. So it really is win-win.

We hope you have a fabulous vacation and come back to us fully revitalised and full of vigour, ready to face the challenges of LFR raiding with your full attention!

Best Regards
    The Blizzard Team"

In order to implement this, I reckon the "kick" function should require people to elaborate on why - giving people a few options to select when kicking someone: Eg:

Inadequate performance,
    AFK,
    Being rude to other players.

The system can then build up a record on each player, and Blizzard can investige the worst X% of offenders and take appropriate measures.

For example, if someone receives 500 AFK reports in a week, that would create a huge red flag that would warrant investigation. Or even better yet:

People who land up in the top X% of LFR afkers get put into a special LFR queue - with all the other LFR afkers! They would probably have longer queues, and get a taste of their own medicine when they finally get an instance.

The funniest would be a group where you have a guy joining, typing /follow on some other random, and then going afk for half an hour, then he comes back to find the whole raid still waiting at the entrance. It would be classic!

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Still it may solve the symptoms but won't cure the main problem, which is the reason people go afk in the first place.
    The real problem is that some people are just dicks. At best Blizzard can discourage dickish behaviour, but you cannot expect them to solve the problem.

I personally AFK a lot in LFR because it's insanely boring and fights last forever.
    Sorry, but I am going to call you on this. You are simply rationalising being a douche to assuage your own self image. ie you are lying to yourself to make you feel better about yourself. If you find LFR "insanely boring" then please, stay away. It's that simple.

but I can at least go do something productive in the meantime somewhere else
    then stay away from LFR.

honestly LFR can be done with 2 healers
    then stay away from LFR.

I'd rather go make dinner or watch TV or something
    then stay away from LFR.

See? All your problems really aren't that hard to solve. You just need to think out of the box a little!

10+ Year Old Account
    Banning people is the wrong way of doing it.
    The problem is the system/players with something like 90/10. Meaning 9 out of 10 'afker' wouldn't do it if the system was different.
    I raid LFR as I can't get any other kind of raids due to my play time being early in the morning and I notice the 9 out of 10 times the DPS is so low I question if there are more than 5 people trying to kill things. I do not use any DPS meters so I can't base it on facts. It just the feel you get when you use your 5min cd's twice on a trash fight (I kid you not).
    First we should look why LFR was created:
    1) Show people the content they couldn't see otherwise (my personal favorite)
    2) Give non-raiders a chance to get 'raid' gear, including tier tokens.
    3) Give players a chance to 'learn' how to raid to some extent.

The most annoying thing is not the lack of healing or bad tank positions, but the lack of DPS. I can get a good group and boss dies before 5mins mark (based on my cooldown usage) or get a bad group and use double bloodlust in one fight (sigh).
    The DPS can be addressed very easily:

-> For x amount of time spent in combat, receive a dmg % buff. Buff resets after boss dies, if you wipe you get to keep the buff.
    Also tenacity shouldn't reset after a boss kill.
    The good raids will see no effect as they kill stuff easy anyway, the awefully horrible baddies will be carried like they are now, but with less effort from the ones carrying.

- - - Updated - - -

Asking for bans in LFR is like asking for bans for guild drama.
    2c
    PM me weird stuff :3