Poll: What class did you roll?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Glad/Paladin, the way their class armor looks totally appealed to my vanity.

Glad/Paladin cause I enjoy tanking over anything else. Leveling a Scholar with a friend atm mostly for faster dungeon ques (he's doing the story). I'll be leveling a Monk afterwards when another friend joins as I enjoyed the Monk gameplay in the beta. When I finish the end game content eventually I'll probably end up leveling all the classes to 50.
    Last edited by Aruhen; 2013-09-29 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    All of them.

Because you can do that in this game.
    He speaks the truth!

Also because the class/job I really want isn't available in the game yet.

I'm having something of an Indecisive Job Disorder. I started playing the game as a Lancer mostly because I have a Scholar, Warrior, and Bard friends who have a head start on me and I typically enjoy melee DPS the most(been a WoW Rogue since Vanilla). Lately though I've been really rethinking it. My friends are now 50 and I'm now 35 and have access to Dragoon and so far I'm really underwhelmed.

Initially I was thinking Monk would be closer to my Rogue but after playing PUG for about 10 levels it just felt really boring and Dragoons looked like alot of fun with their Jumps and they had fiendish looking armor. Since getting the Dragoon to 35 I've noticed that there are a ton of mechanics that really hurt melee and I feel like I don't bring much to the group. I was debating trying Monk again because atleast they have some buffs but I'm not really sure about sticking with melee at end game. There are two big things discouraging me. The main thing is that there's no benefit being melee, in fact so far me and my friends see it as a detriment(other than the limit break anyway) and it just doesn't seem to have an up side. The second thing that dawned on me recently was that even though the GCD is the same for all classes melee feels like it's much slower because I'll hit an ability and then have to wait for the next one while the casters abilities trigger the GCD as soon as you start casting, so it never feels like you're just sitting there not doing something.

Since I've come to this dilemma I've been leveling a bunch of classes to 15. I started leveling Gladiator and Conjurer thinking I'll become a Paladin and tank, they feel pretty good. It's hard for me to explain but the "feel" of both the Lancer and Pugilist just just slow and boring, both the Marauder and Gladiator feel much better as melee but they have to be tanks. I've also been messing with Archer, being able to cast and move is liberating but since we already have a Bard I may only get it to 15 to check out Black Mage... At the moment my story quest is on hold.

Anyone else this crazy or is it just me?
    Last edited by Griffon23; 2013-09-30 at 06:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I forced myself to push forward with ACN, but now that I hit 50 I find myself running into the same indecisiveness. These are my current class levels:

50 Arcanist
    21 Lancer
    26 Thaumaturge
    23 Pugilist
    30 Conjurer
    15 Archer
    16 Gladiator
    25 Marauder

I'm going to be dropping healing in this game, both due to my own decision and the needs of my Free Company, and can't for the life of me decide what I want to do in its place.
    Last edited by -aiko-; 2013-09-30 at 10:16 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Normally play rogue/thief type classes so I initially considered Pugilist simply because it was fast melee, but decided to go different with an Archer. Think I'm going to level Therm next. Not sure.

My toon started out as an Arcanist so I could quest with my bro who wanted to be a Pugilist, then switched to dragoon as I thought they looked awesome but at lvl 23 switched over to Conjurer/White Mage for faster dungeon queues

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

Not that they ended up being much faster, lol
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

So I am I correct in thinking that although I have rolled a Lancer as my initial class (eventually wanting to take Dragoon as my job), I could technically level every other class to max level without re-rolling a new character? If that is correct then great! I thought there were restrictions on what class can level in to what.
    Back to your bridge, you evil Troll!

Quote Originally Posted by CarlingBlackLabel View Post
    So I am I correct in thinking that although I have rolled a Lancer as my initial class (eventually wanting to take Dragoon as my job), I could technically level every other class to max level without re-rolling a new character? If that is correct then great! I thought there were restrictions on what class can level in to what.
    Yup, you can be all classes. There are even achievements for leveling all the classes. Only restriction is that you can only do quests once.

Ah, I see. With the exception of only being able to do the quests once, I think this game and I are going to get along famously!
    Back to your bridge, you evil Troll!

I went white mage main. Normally I dont play healers but I found it to be quite refreshing in ff14.

When you hit level 10, the guild master of your inital guild tells you you're free to join other guilds, that includes gathering and crafting guilds. For crafters, keep in mind that that the guilds will have a vendor that sells mats you can use to easily hit levels 10+. For DPS classes, magic/war classes, i'd suggest grinding mobs for the 1st 10 or so levels, it doesn't take too long to level up if you make sure you're fighting mobs equal or one level head.

Plus you can do the odd FATE that spawns in the zone. From what I hear (My main class isn't max level yet), the main way you'll level your alternate magic/war classes if to go to a popular zone of your level, join a party grinding fates and then follow the party from FATE to FATE. That's pretty boring, but when I get to that point I plan to mix it up by just working on my gathering/crafting profs so I'm not just endlessly grinding FATES.

Anyway, you'll prolly also have some left over quests in the other lower level zones you didn't up at 1st and those could help too.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Rolled as a pugilist. Currently have thm and Glad left to level from 20 to 30 in order to have all classes at 30 including all crafting and gathering

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    glad then i did some dungeons and tanking was a pain so marauder right now