10+ Year Old Account

Drivers going from GTX660 to HD7970

I have googled this and keep getting contradicting reports on what to do regarding drivers, to a degree where some even say you don't need to delete Nvidia drivers.

I have a gigabyte HD7970 arriving within next day or 2 and wondering how exactly I go about the change?

Delete nvidia via program uninstall then turn off swap cards n install new?
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

Install your card and your drivers and delete your nvidia drivers or delete your nvidia drivers first and install amd drivers first. Or just delete nvidia drivers and install your card and install your amd drivers

Enough options, no? It would be pretty much common sense. I've had both installed before, no issues really.

Deleted
    Start with uninstalling your nvidia drivers, just like a normal program.
    Start windows up in safe mode, and run driver fusion/driver sweeper. And delete all Nvidia drivers with that.
    Shut your computer off, install the new card.
    And than install the AMD drivers.

Follow this it's what I do. http://www.overclock.net/t/1150443/h...ia-gpu-drivers

Works for AMD drivers too.
    Last edited by neuk; 2013-09-17 at 11:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks all. Does seem there is multiple ways to do it then ha. Although seems neuk's would be safest bet due to being thorough with getting rid of every little Nvidia detail?
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapetos View Post
    Thanks all. Does seem there is multiple ways to do it then ha. Although seems neuk's would be safest bet due to being thorough with getting rid of every little Nvidia detail?
    Lol that's pointless, too much work for just nothing. You only should take more advanced steps if you have issues with installing.

1) Uninstall nvidia drivers
    2) Will ask to reboot
    3) Put amd card in
    4) Install amd drivers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Lol that's pointless, too much work for just nothing. You only should take more advanced steps if you have issues with installing.

2) Will ask to reboot
    3) Put amd card in
    4) Install amd drivers
    Shall do it this simple way then hehe thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post

2) Will ask to reboot
    3) Put amd card in
    4) Install amd drivers
    Honestly, it only takes a few minutes and gets rid of everything. I don't want bits of an old driver lingering in my OS that might cause issues down the road.

Deleted
    The drivers might linger as a file, which won't even get executed since you don't have the required hardware installed. Windows comes bundled with drivers for thousands of devices, did you make sure those get removed as well?

What Faithh said is solid advice. If you run into problems, then the more complicated procedures will be necessary.

Well this is what an Nvidia dev recommend to me. But, then again that was going from Nvidia beta drivers to older ones.

Deleted
    Just dont forget to use driver fusion/sweeper. Uninstalling via the control panel doesnt remove all of the nvidia drivers.

Deleted
    why would somebody go from Nvidia to AMD

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEnergy View Post
    Why wouldn't they? Both companies make great cards.

The 7970 is a great card that is very affordable, it's certainly more powerful than the 660.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2013-09-17 at 06:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was £180 for the AMD or £330 for the Nvidia... for the not so big performance difference the answer to your question is "common sense".

What I like to do is pre download your AMD driver first before going through the uninstalling/rebooting/installing process. Granted Windows should probably give you a default driver when it boots, however the predownload should save you some time.

10+ Year Old Account
    So a 40 % increase going from 660-7970 is not worth it?
    Is there something wrong with AMD or are you just very biased?
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

10+ Year Old Account
    Well thanks all. Hopefully GPU arrives today so looks like a simple switch over process along with attaching my new cooler and PSU. Thanks again mmo forumers.