View Poll Results: Where do I go from here?

Voters
17. This poll is closed
  • Replace CPU and MoBo with Socket 1150 and 4670k

3 17.65%
  • Add a second SSD (Suggestions?)

9 52.94%
  • Replace the HDD

2 11.76%
  • New Speakers (Suggestions?)

2 11.76%
  • Other (Explain)

1 5.88%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Birthday Upgrade Suggestions?

My birthday's coming up at the end of the month and my wife's parents are starting to pester me about gift ideas. They give me a check every year that's $10 for each year (so $300 this year), but my mother-in-law also insists that I need "something that can be opened..." Anyway, I usually ask for a game or something, but with no recent titles out that grab my fancy, a computer upgrade is the only thing I can think of.

My usage consists of standard home office work, Netflix/ESPN3, and moderate gaming (mainly World of Tanks these days, but also WoW, Star Trek Online, and various RTS titles) at 1440p native resolution.
    My current setup (including peripherals):I guess my question is where to go from here? I'm still kicking myself for not getting the "K" cpu, but I doubt it's worth the hassle to upgrade at this point unless I got a Haswell. I've been considering adding a second SSD (the current one has about 8gb free) or replacing the HDD (was cannibalized last summer from a 5-year-old system, so it's getting up there. Then there are the speakers too. I'm not necessarily an audiophile, but the ones I have now are poo. A good 2.0 setup (tired of kicking the woofer) would be nice.

So, where should I go from here?
    Last edited by Sorphius; 2013-09-17 at 11:49 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    CPU, no need to upgrade.
    CPU cooler could be upgraded.
    Motherboard, no need.
    RAM, you could add more, depending on what kind of office work you do. Do you do any photo/video editing?
    Definitely should not fill an SSD to full, leave it with at least 8GB free (your size) and add another.
    Definitely could probably use a bigger higher quality internal HDD/USB 3.0 HDD.
    Video cards are recent enough, would be a waste.
    I have the Xonar DX, if you want to get real headphones, you'll need one with an actual headphone amp, like a Xonar Essence STX.
    Case is blegh. I'd replace it personally because I have a vendetta against Cooler Master.
    Modular power supplies rock, a nice SeaSonic would pretty much be the best on the market.
    NICE monitor. *thumbs up*
    Not sure how you feel about your peripherals, but if I could, I'd replace my K90 with a K70, my Razer Death Adder is awesome, but a nice newer mouse would be good, however the Corsair M90 was garbage for me, kept on breaking, even sending in for RMA didn't fix the static shock issues, and yes I was grounded. I personally have Samson MediaONE 3a studio monitors, which are leagues and bounds better, louder, and clearer than any computer speakers can hope to be, especially for only $100. The headset is definitely not something I'd use. I'm personally using Audio Technica ATH-AD700 headphones with a Blue Snowball microphone when the mic is needed.

Frankly, your biggest improvement would probably be a new SSD. Granted, idk how well the dual 7850s are handling 1440p for you, but I am sure with higher-end games, they give you and the GPUs a run for your money.

Hope this helps!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Water cool your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    Water cool your setup.
    To what end? The CPU is locked, no overclock you could achieve on it would warrant a water cooler of any kind.

OP: I would personally add a second SSD, can't go wrong with a Samsung 840.

Deleted
    Ah, I missed that. Then the performance gain would indeed be minor and it would mainly be for the "cool factor".

Actually, seeing that you have a decent sound card but gimmick headphones, you might want to take a look at, for example, Beyerdynamic DT-770s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    RAM, you could add more, depending on what kind of office work you do. Do you do any photo/video editing?
    -RAM isn't really bottlenecking me since I don't do much any photo/video editing, so it's low on the priority list.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc
    Not sure how you feel about your peripherals, but if I could, I'd replace my K90 with a K70, my Razer Death Adder is awesome, but a nice newer mouse would be good, however the Corsair M90 was garbage for me, kept on breaking, even sending in for RMA didn't fix the static shock issues, and yes I was grounded. I personally have Samson MediaONE 3a studio monitors, which are leagues and bounds better, louder, and clearer than any computer speakers can hope to be, especially for only $100.
    -I like my peripherals apart from the speakers. My Naga's starting to suffer (again, ugh) from legacy tracking issues so I'm going to take advantage of the extended warranty I purchased(4 mice in 3 years ), but I've been using them exclusively since they came on the market in 2011, so it'd be tough to go to anything else at this point. I may be the only person in the world who actually uses the macro keys on my MMO keyboard... just saying. But speakers that aren't tin cans would be nice. I might look into those Samsons you mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by deltrusdisc
    Frankly, your biggest improvement would probably be a new SSD. Granted, idk how well the dual 7850s are handling 1440p for you, but I am sure with higher-end games, they give you and the GPUs a run for your money.
    -I'm actually pretty happy with the 7850s. The 1440p gave me some issues at first which is why I added the second card, but they suit my purposes. Of course 7970s would be better, but I have these OC'd to a stable 1100mhz which is enough to have my main bottleneck be my CPU in most games I run.
    Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    Actually, seeing that you have a decent sound card but gimmick headphones, you might want to take a look at, for example, Beyerdynamic DT-770s.
    -I've thought about headphones in the past, but generally the only thing I use them for is raid leading and other things that require me to be in voicechat. If I'm just going to be playing or listening music, 9 times out of 10 I use the speakers. Besides, I got the wireless headphones intentionally because I tend to get "squirmy" and got tired of unplugging my headphones and/or running over the wire with my chair during raids.

I think right now I'm leaning toward the second SSD and/or decent speakers, but I'm all ears for further input...

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can, ask for the Samson MediaoNE 4a or 5a, as the 3as are smaller. Still sound big, but hey, you might miss some bass or something. :P
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Samsung 500 GB 840 Evo just a tad over 300 bucks, cant go wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I can attest to the sound of the Samson 4as. That is what I have for my speakers, and while they do not have a ton of thump, it is clean and un-distorted bass.

Also, having more SSD space is not really a bad thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    Second SSD, your current SSD is rather small (256GB is small for me so 12X is very small tbh). Your CPU is great, GPUs are fine so another SSD would be the best possible option (or save up for the 2014/15 systems).

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I'm probably going to go with asking for the Samsung 840 Pro.

I've been meaning to wipe my machine anyway to clean up the "junk" it's accumulated over the past year, I'll just take the opportunity to make the 840 Pro my primary drive for my OS and most-used programs, then probably dedicate the Crucial M4 (my current primary drive) to Steam.

I'll probably go ahead and replace the HDD too, but it's not a priority since it's really just used for bulk storage and my collection of midget pr0n.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    No reason to go for the Pro. The EVO is in a better spot, $/performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorphius View Post
    I think I'm probably going to go with asking for the Samsung 840 Pro.

I've been meaning to wipe my machine anyway to clean up the "junk" it's accumulated over the past year, I'll just take the opportunity to make the 840 Pro my primary drive for my OS and most-used programs, then probably dedicate the Crucial M4 (my current primary drive) to Steam.

I'll probably go ahead and replace the HDD too, but it's not a priority since it's really just used for bulk storage and my collection of midget pr0n.
    Get the 250 or 500GB EVO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Samsung 500 GB 840 Evo just a tad over 300 bucks, cant go wrong.
    Exactly what does the OP need so much SSD space for?
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Exactly what does the OP need so much SSD space for?
    Because their SSD in their current system is tiny, and that will provide that largest real increase, as that CPU the OIP has is actually a 3570K.

Deleted
    128Gb is tiny now? Well, perhaps it is if people are using 16gb page- and hiberfils.

I'm still kicking myself for not getting the "K" cpu,
    Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    Because their SSD in their current system is tiny, and that will provide that largest real increase, as that CPU the OIP has is actually a 3570K.
    No, no, it's not. I'd go for an SSD or, if the stuttering from the video cards from crossfire is noticeable, a single 770.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, don't really need a 250GB SSD.

It's taken me over a year to fill a single 128, and that's only due to a lot of poor management on my part (not setting custom install directories for random programs, etc). By wiping my current system and doing clean installs of everything I'll be able to dedicate one drive to Windows, WoW, WoT, Diablo, Starcraft, (maybe office) and drivers, then use the second SSD exclusively for Steam (having to run Boil is ftl). That'll cover pretty much everything I have installed now with room to spare, and still leave me with a completely empty HDD for bulk storage, backups, and the like.

As far as the GPU goes, I really haven't noticed any microstuttering issues. Of course the titles I play the most are old enough that I'm usually operating at a higher FPS than my 60mhz monitor's refresh rate anyway, but that's a bridge I'll cross when I come to. It's a non-issue at this point.

*Edit: And it's not a K cpu. If it were, I'd probably be running it closer to 4.5ghz. It's the basic 3550 with the ghetto overclock (Turboboost or something like that) maxxed out.

Deleted
    I'd go for a (smaller) secondary monitor - it's nice to have an extra desktop while gaming and the it really shines when you're doing desktop work (programming, multi media, even excel).

Deleted
    -RAM isn't really bottlenecking me since I don't do much any photo/video editing, so it's low on the priority list.
    16GB really doesn't cost that much more than 8 though. I really recommend it if you're running programs while you run games.

I play Minecraft and even 16GB is a bit short for me.