Leveling in a Full Realm

Hey folks,

Just a brief question. Does leveling in a full server have any great benefits? I have always played wow on a small server. I was curious if I leveled in a full server would the ability to find groups, active guilds, questing partners be waiting for me? I know. I know. A server is what you make of it. But that being said, a small server community seems a bit lonely.

Thanks for the info.

Well you can surely find a lot of people. And maybe make few friends. BUT:

-If it is a PvP server, prepare to be ganked ALOT.
    -Some quest hubs are so full doing quests will take ages.
    -A lot more toxic individuals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scram View Post
    Hey folks,

Just a brief question. Does leveling in a full server have any great benefits? I have always played wow on a small server. I was curious if I leveled in a full server would the ability to find groups, active guilds, questing partners be waiting for me? I know. I know. A server is what you make of it. But that being said, a small server community seems a bit lonely.

Thanks for the info.
    No, it is usually a bigger pain in the ass. When an expansion drops you might as well as take a few days off because it is complete chaos you will have to fight for every mob to complete your quests. Also, if it's a PVP server and say there is a lot of the opposing faction good luck cause you will be killable competition.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    No, it is usually a bigger pain in the ass. When an expansion drops you might as well as take a few days off because it is complete chaos you will have to fight for every mob to complete your quests. Also, if it's a PVP server and say there is a lot of the opposing faction good luck cause you will be killable competition.
    Your best bet is to be on PVE server that is full of course. I haven't tried this though so don't quote me on it. But I do think it will much easier to get a group together to quest, dungeon, etc.

Hey folks,

Thanks for the info.
    biggest advantage would be cheaper mats on the AH. low pop realms seem to never have ample supply of mats to buy. on the other hand if you are trying to sell something, good luck getting much money for it.

other than that, full realms usually offer a better chance to pug something, vs a dead realm with a quiet trade chat.

pve server is best bet, as otherwise you will be ganked beyond frustration on a full realm.

Thanks a ton, folks

Hey folks,

Thanks for the info.
    I played full realms from pre-BC to Pandaria launch. I was sick of queueing for 6+ hours every time a patch landed, so I took advantage of a free realm transfer and have sat on a low pop realm ever since.

This works well for me because I have no real interest in any group activities beyond LFD/LFR/BGs etc, and if I want to RBG, then nowadays I can just use OQueue.

The community in this game is no longer one where you regularly pick up questing partners etc, in my opinion. Regardless of realm population levels.

The two most noticeable things I've seen coming from high pop to low pop:

1. Trade chat is really, really quiet.
    2. The AH is pretty dreadful, and often you can't find what you need (especially if it's a low level mat).

Of course, the AH problem will be alleviated a little with the introduction of virtual realms.
    Originally Posted by Tseric
    When you can understand how a group of belligerent and angry posters can drive away people from this game with an uncrafted and improvisational campaign of misery and spin-doctoring, then perhaps, you can understand the decisions I make.

I prefer to level solo. The less people to steal my mobs, the better. I've leveled two characters since the launch of CRZs, one on a low pop realm, the other on a high pop, and the amount of people I ran into while questing was pretty similar. I'd say maybe a bit more on the higher pop server, but I was getting mobs / resources taken from me at a pretty similar rate for both.

The place where it's truly different is end game. On the low pop server (it was actually both low pop AND Alliance dominated, I was horde), there were literally three things said in trade chat every hour. There was nothing on the AH, and pugs didn't exist. I rerolled on a high pop server and it made me go from kind of disliking WoW to falling back in love. Playing on a populated server is BY FAR the best thing you can do to have more fun in the game. Of course, just my two cents.

Never level on full realms jsut for the sake of leveling; you will be ganked forever, and it will take eternity to complete quests because spawns will be killed within seconds of them appearing. Use new realms or lower pop ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayth View Post
    -If it is a PvP server, prepare to be ganked ALOT.
    ALOT?

Anyway, I hear this a lot, but my experiences of leveling on a full PvP server are not that bad. I leveled 3 chars in the last couple of weeks and generally only got ganked about 10 to 12 times and half of that time it was by people barely 10 levels higher than me.

So unless you really can't stand this stuff in the rare occasion that it happens, just steer clear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leveling in a full pvp server is not bad, I am on alliance kil'jaeden and it's horde bias these days but it's still ok, unless you go to the timeless isle.

I think kids these days are too sensitive to nerd rage, if you get ganked 3 times in a row take a break, switch chars, he's just some bored fag he'll go away eventually.

As a general rule of thumb pvp servers are all horde dominant so either go horde or prepare your anus, mine is quite loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Fayth View Post
    -A lot more toxic individuals.
    I found the opposite to be true, actually.

Sure there may be more toxic players per capita on a high pop realm, but they are filtered out incredibly quickly due to the busy nature of the server.

On a lower pop realm, those annoying individuals have more "air time" and quickly become a thorn in the side. Everyone knows them and they feed off the negative publicity. These kinds of players are the worst cancer in the game.