Haste Soft Cap in 5.4

Hey guys been maining my lock for a few months now and have been loving it so far. With that said the new patch has me a little confused about my stat priority. Before the patch hit stacking haste everything was fine but now it seems I want to hit the soft cap then full on mastery.

My question is, how important is the soft cap? Should I be gemming and such to reach that before gemming for mastery? Right now after I replaced all my gems I have ~65% mastery with ~8000 haste. Should I drop my mastery gems for haste to get the cap?

Deleted
    +1 one bump would like to know this aswell! Good question

Just a friendly reminder that you need to post more productively than this. Normally responses like this are cathegorized as minor spam, and will result in a small infraction, but we're going to give you some learning-leeway due to being new on these forums. :-) You can use this link to learn more about our forum rules.

- Alarinth
    Last edited by Alarinth; 2013-09-17 at 09:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as i know it is 9778(?) Then just pump Mast as much as you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    In fact, I'd argue $100 for a bottle of scotch to drink while you're building it would be the best use of your money - but then, who wouldn't?

Yeah that's the cap I want to hit, but the thing I'm not sure on is should I also be gemming for haste? I assume I should be, just a little confused is all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wafflegur View Post
    Yeah that's the cap I want to hit, but the thing I'm not sure on is should I also be gemming for haste? I assume I should be, just a little confused is all.
    gem haste till u hit the BP then gem mastery

Just a query on hastes relevance. I understand that haste will allow you to to cast faster, and does lower the GCD, but why would getting it to the hast soft cap benifit us?
    I mean, the 1 second GCD is practically unachievable, and with the changes to 5.4, incinerate will mainly be used under Backdraft, with Fel Flame as a filler, & the changes to RoF, Mastery will effect our dps at a higer rate.
    Currently I have 72.22% Mastery, and only 5.7% Haste. I recently reforged from haste, and have noticed an increase in my dps with Mastery stacked.
    My Chaos Bolts & Shadowburn do 24% more damage, and make up the majority of my effective dps.
    Are there any reliable sources that will show me the benifits to haste? I would just like to know if I need to reforge again =)
    Last edited by Locksrus; 2013-09-18 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Locksrus View Post
    Just a query on hastes relevance. I understand that haste will allow you to to cast faster, and does lower the GCD, but why would getting it to the hast soft cap benifit us?
    I mean, the 1 second GCD is practically unachievable, and with the changes to 5.4, incinerate will mainly be used under Backdraft, with Fel Flame as a filler, & the changes to RoF, Mastery will effect our dps at a higer rate.
    Currently I have 72.22% Mastery, and only 5.7% Haste. I recently reforged from haste, and have noticed an increase in my dps with Mastery stacked.
    My Chaos Bolts & Shadowburn do 24% more damage, and make up the majority of my effective dps.
    Are their any reliable sources that will show me the benifits to haste? I would just like to know if I need to reforge again =)
    I sincerely doubt fel flame is still a filler after the hotfix that has nerfed fel flame, and buffed incinerate.

Other than that, I'm unable to specifically answer your question as I don't play destro if I can avoid it, but you should remember that haste is also important for your mana. I don't personally see (without doing any maths, but 6 am logic) the benefit of the 9k+ haste cap for destro, as mastery seem to be such a strong stat for it. Hopefully some theorycrafter can shed some light on this.

There is no 9k haste break point for Destro.

The reason alot of people go for 9k (or rather 9778) is because they play affliction as their second spec.
    I have not done any math on the subject, but only reason for haste as destro is for faster spells - which again mainly counts in single target fights.
    And we all know destro is by far the weakest spec for single target, at least after 5.4

When i had destro as one of my specs, i just got me to the appropriate haste cap for my other spec since destros strong side is cleaving, and for that mastery is a better stat from what i have read.

Ah, I havent been on my lock since Thursday, so hadnt experienced the differences. Just looged on, played around on a dummy, and have noticed the difference now. While I do have to watch my mana a little more, it doesnt seem have a negative impact on my rotation.

Deleted
    Ah, I havent been on my lock since Thursday, so hadnt experienced the differences. Just looged on, played around on a dummy, and have noticed the difference now. While I do have to watch my mana a little more, it doesnt seem have a negative impact on my rotation.
    One good point is to tell what spec you are playing as main and secondary. Most locks play affli/demo this patch and therefore going 9778 BP then dumping the rest into mastery to fit affli best and being able to play demo as off spec.*

I only play as Destruction. It works for me, i'm consistantly top 2 in my guilds runs (we don't push the envelope progression wise, just happy to go at our own pace, only half way through normals) and I enjoy this spec more than the others. I know that we are probably the lower dps spec this patch, but I like to see how much I can squeeze out of it anyway

Deleted

Talking

I only play as Destruction. It works for me, i'm consistantly top 2 in my guilds runs (we don't push the envelope progression wise, just happy to go at our own pace, only half way through normals) and I enjoy this spec more than the others. I know that we are probably the lower dps spec this patch, but I like to see how much I can squeeze out of it anyway
    Alright, then I understand. If you are at top2 in guild runs the others are baddies playing casual with the spec you enjoy most is good, squeeze out every inch you can in an underperforming spec is fun if you do good with it. Mastery is the way to go if you only play destro.

Such a confusing topic. Haste "caps" are usually used to refer to global cooldown caps on cast, not extra dot ticks. You're not even mentioning what spec you are playing <_<

They aren't all baddies, Im just really really good =)

And the fact that I am casting Incinerates might elude you to the spec I am playing =)
    Last edited by Locksrus; 2013-09-18 at 12:03 PM.