Thread: Level squish?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Level squish?

What if Blizzard not only did a item squish, but a level squish as well. as In grab all the content and squish it together back to the level cap of 60?

This is only a question, I know there are plenty of reasons why they wouldn't do it, but what if they did? What would be the positives and negatives of that happening?

I know Blizzard hates the idea of having a level 100 cap. I kinda feel like having a level 100 cap is a little cheesy myself, but who knows? We already level to 90 pretty fast if we brought it down to level 60 do you think the leveling process would feel about the same as vanilla?

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by StrayFox; 2013-09-17 at 08:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not Going to happen any time soon!

Dont recall seeing Bliz say they hate the idea of 100 cap.

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    Dont recall seeing Bliz say they hate the idea of 100 cap.
    I don't remember where I read it but is was more like they felt level 100 was a bit tacky or something. Not sure if was Blizzard saying that either... it was a long while ago when I read it.

Deleted
    Then how would you explain that to anyone returning to the game or anyone that doesn't play that often? Or in advertising?

NEW LEVEL CAP: LEVEL 60!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StrayFox View Post
    I know Blizzard hates the idea of having a level 100 cap.
    why should they bother about a number?

theres nothing positive about a level squish. just a lot of work to make "60" out of "100"

Idk why I don't see this more often, but on the technical side, 100 is not the level cap. On a private server, the max level any character can be is 255. After that it literally cannot go any higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyna View Post
    why should they bother about a number?

theres nothing positive about a level squish. just a lot of work to make "60" out of "100"
    I'm not sure, I just remember someone stating that level 100 is a little tacky. To me it feels a little overwhelming to a new player to have to gain 100 levels. "Welcome to the game! Level cap is 100, good luck!"

Its the same reasoning as to why Blizzard wanted a item squish or the "You do 100k damage" Nonsense they started. They felt it was dumb and tacky to have items do 35320823523 dps instead of like 100 or something.

So Blizzard might think the same way about level caps. It does feel a bit dumb to be level 100 and 255 is even more silly to me. (255 levels of content? To a new player that would feel so crappy to have to do that many levels, no matter how fast it is.)
    Last edited by StrayFox; 2013-09-17 at 09:32 PM.

Item squish is stupid in every way. Its way to be reactionary. Item squish = few old elitist players will be happy, 99% of the player base will be raging and wondering wtf happened to their dmg and health etc, while most people wont ever understand why it happened. Item squish would result in hundred thousands of players quitting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NSrm View Post
    Item squish is stupid in every way. Its way to be reactionary. Item squish = few old elitist players will be happy, 99% of the player base will be raging and wondering wtf happened to their dmg and health etc, while most people wont ever understand why it happened. Item squish would result in hundred thousands of players quitting.
    I doubt most would really notice or give a shit. You're overhyping it to be something it's not.
    Hey everyone

Most players these days can't even avoid standing in fire.

All Blizz has to do is give them a shiny 10 point achievement "zomg rainbows i was there for the item squishhh lmao" and some mount with huge fucking wings that sparkles and they would be okay.

And let's do also Gold "Squish". And let's also remove all those zones, which are visited less often than others to avoid zone clutter (Zone "Squish"). Do you see where it is going?

This whole "squish" concept is nothing but destructive.
    So Blizzard might think the same way about level caps. It does feel a bit dumb to be level 100 and 255 is even more silly to me. (255 levels of content? To a new player that would feel so crappy to have to do that many levels, no matter how fast it is.)
    Crappy? What kind of player do you have in mind? Personally, I'd be very excited about such a game with so many levels of content.

Deleted
    Yea it will be like Cata dungeons

It doesn't matter how I look at it, it just sounds odd.
    After playing all those years and investing all that time... I grew as a character from almost nothing to level 90, with 500.000 healt... and my next growth will bring me to....... 500?, 5000? it just doesn't feel good. Those numbers grow on you, on me they did. I see huge numbers on my screen when I am battling.. how will it feel if those numbers are way lower in the next xpac? I don't know for sure.... but it still doesn't make any sense. In a game I supposed to be growing, I am being cut down!

I wonder where this will lead us.

Item squish would result in hundred thousands of players quitting.
    I think you'd need to squish that number a bit.

No way, i'd rather levels were more common than less common.

When you ding every couple hours rather than every 6 hours you're more likely to carry on playing and keep going as you're being rewarded.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not "stupid in every way" and there's no chance it will cause 100,000s of players to quit.

Nor do elitists have anything to do with it at all.

It's just very confusing to look at when your character is hitting for 439218 and 398721 every hit, you tend to lose sight of what is a harder hit and lose sight of numbers as a whole. Next expansion DPS will probably start nearing a million HP which is just ludicrous, not only that but from what I read the game has hard coded limits currently.

I'd say it's much more interesting and readable to go from hitting 300 to 330 than 540982 to 559029

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxio View Post
    Yea it will be like Cata dungeons
    In no way comparable at all other than the fact that you don't like it

Dude. Right now it takes X amount of expierience to get to level 90 from 1.

If you think that takes too long, then you have to lower X.
    But if it still takes X (same X as above) amount to get to the new max-level 60, hwere is the difference or benefit?

But still your idea isnt that bad at all, i just would approach it from another side.

right now a level means actually nothing, as there is not too much which is referenced to it.
    In former times you got a new skillpoint every level, which kinda made it relevant and felt like you really made a step here. While now you may gain exactly nothing from a new level aside from some HP and MP. No skill point, no new spell.
    So why do such levels exist i ask myself?

for example if nothing changes for the next 3 levels, those 3 could as well be just one level. Right now a level up means kinda nothing unless it is some magical level where you get to assign a new skill in your tree, or a level for which you have some gear prepared and just wait to be able to wear it.

So yeah from this perspective, you could as well just kill those levels where nothign happens.

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    It's not "stupid in every way" and there's no chance it will cause 100,000s of players to quit.

Nor do elitists have anything to do with it at all.

It's just very confusing to look at when your character is hitting for 439218 and 398721 every hit, you tend to lose sight of what is a harder hit and lose sight of numbers as a whole. Next expansion DPS will probably start nearing a million HP which is just ludicrous, not only that but from what I read the game has hard coded limits currently.

I'd say it's much more interesting and readable to go from hitting 300 to 330 than 540982 to 559029
    There's also the fact that 559845 and 5594156 aren't that different at first glance, even though the second number is almost ten times as big as the first one.
    Compare to 459 and 4526.

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    While i fully agree to that point beeing made, and i fully approve it, i can as well sympathize with people crying over "loosing power".

This hard cut, between i am doing not even 10% of what i did last year, BUT still i am WAAAY more powerful than last year. No it will not make my brain shatter into peices, but it is really a heavy immersion killer.

Both sides of this hold good and strong arguments so in the end it´s about taste again i guess. Want a feeling of consitency or better readable numbers.
    Yea in the end it kinda comes down to that. To read and interpret those number correctly can be learned, and programming could even help with this (e.G. 234k or even 0,23M instead of 234186).
    While the squish defies logic and consistency, which cant be learned in any way. There the solution is trying to ignore/forget.

For me learning is easier than fucking with my brain.

I don't remember where I read it but is was more like they felt level 100 was a bit tacky or something. Not sure if was Blizzard saying that either... it was a long while ago when I read it.
    They said it's just a number, but that it is a lot of lvls for new players. But it's faster to get to lvl 90, than it was to get to lvl 60, so not really a big issue.

Good thing about the lvl squish would be:
    Less scary for new players
    Less stupid monkeys posting "confirmed lvl 100 is last expansion ever to come omg wtf dudes"
    Wouldn't change anything. Would just heighten how much xp you should get to get to next lvl.

Bad:
    More work for blizzard
    No real point to it
    Would suddenly have to complete vanilla in 30-40 lvls, and then the rest of the expansions in 7 lvls, each, or so.
    Instances/raids should be rebalanced around the other lvl-requirement.
    Would introduce so many bugs, broken questlines, forgottten quests, overtuned bosses etc
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away