Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

23,116,928 to 20,618,000: Households on Food Stamps.

The record 23,116,928 households on food stamps in June also equaled 20.16 percent—or more than one-fifth--of all 114,663,000 households nationwide in the United States as of June, according to the Census Bureau.

Thus, in America in June, there were 52 percent more households on Food Stamps than there were in the average month of the first year President Obama took office.

Apparently there were more households on welfare then there were households?
    http://cnsnews.com/news/article/tere...all-households

So is that Obama´s faulty labour policy or is it because people have jobs that doesn't cover the necessities? If the former, Obama sucks, if the latter, low paid workers are getting dicked.

And yes, thats kind of high. But why is it that high is more interesting imo.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    So is that Obama´s faulty labour policy or is it because people have jobs that doesn't cover the necessities? If the former, Obama sucks, if the latter, low paid workers are getting dicked.

And yes, thats kind of high. But why is it that high is more interesting imo.
    It's the latter, which has been proven and pointed out time and time again. It's pretty sad. :\

I read that article waiting for the punchline. Tell us, what's the significance of this information, we must know! Since it's under the category of "WA$TE WATCH" I have to assume the author thinks people being able to eat is a waste of taxpayer money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Geez, that article cites so many statistics about food stamp numbers on certain months that it's quite confusing. The only thing I really got from it is "one month had the highest number of people on food stamps in history".

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    The record 23,116,928 households on food stamps in June also equaled 20.16 percent—or more than one-fifth--of all 114,663,000 households nationwide in the United States as of June, according to the Census Bureau.

Thus, in America in June, there were 52 percent more households on Food Stamps than there were in the average month of the first year President Obama took office.

Apparently there were more households on welfare then there were households?
    http://cnsnews.com/news/article/tere...all-households
    High unemployment, stagnant wages

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    High unemployment, stagnant wages
    And a system / culture that is hostile to group wage negotiation (or wage negotiation at all).

Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    And a system / culture that is hostile to group wage negotiation (or wage negotiation at all).
    This as well.

God damn it Obama, first Katrina and now this? That guy screws everything up!

Damn, a shitload of people must have starved to death when unemployment rates were higher and incomes were lower back in the early '80s. Good thing they have food stamps to deal with the poor economy these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Damn, a shitload of people must have starved to death when unemployment rates were higher and incomes were lower back in the early '80s. Good thing they have food stamps to deal with the poor economy these days.
    Alternative theories?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Alternative theories?
    People have alternative food sources available that are underestimated by proponents of the expansion of SNAP eligibility, and thusly don't starve in the absence of SNAP eligibility. I think that's probably more consistent with what I know of the early '80s than mass starvation, anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well there were times when people *could* go to family members for help when their finances were bad..not quite as much lately. Of course I should note, I have no facts to back this up, just stories of when people talk about the *good old days when family helped family, not all became welfare queens*.

10+ Year Old Account
    Average worker incomes were not all that much lower back in the '80, and the price of food and other goods were a LOT lower.

People have alternative food sources available that are underestimated by proponents of the expansion of SNAP eligibility, and thusly don't starve in the absence of SNAP eligibility. I think that's probably more consistent with what I know of the early '80s than mass starvation, anyway.
    SNAP isn't about not starving to death though. Its essentially targeted income supplementation.

Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    Average worker incomes were not all that much lower back in the '80, and the price of food and other goods were a LOT lower.
    Wages (the minimums) havent kept up at all with çost of living.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Wages (the minimums) havent kept up at all with çost of living.
    Precisely. In fact, when adjusted for inflation, the minimum wage looks alarming:

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    It is merely a statistic that dispels the lie of the "Obama recovery". There was never any real recovery from the crash in 2007. It's all been a bunch of economic jiggery-pokery. The stimulus, quantitative easing, spending bills, and every single bloody thing Obama has done has not increased real wealth or prosperity in the nation by one iota.

The sad reality is that for all of Obama's trillions in spending, he's created very few jobs. I'm talking REAL jobs, not the part time, low-wage junk jobs that his spin-monkeys in the media and elsewhere constantly cite. Obama claims to have created 2.X million jobs, but big whoop when like 90% of those jobs are working minimum wage at Wal-Mart. Meanwhile several million workers have just plain left the workforce altogether so that real employment in the nation is at an historic low - and what jobs are being created are total loser jobs compared to what has been lost.

That's why you have the cognitive dissonance of a media that is constantly bragging about the "economic recovery" and "7.2% unemployment" and yet we still have a nation with over 20% of the eligible workforce sitting on the sidelines on food stamps. Welcome to the Obama recovery. If it was anyone but Obama, the media would be crucifying them with the economic figures every day.

Precisely. In fact, when adjusted for inflation, the minimum wage looks alarming:
    Not an argument for raising minimum wage. It's an argument against all the idiotic policies that are causing the costs to rise on so many things. For example, the war on gas & coal is increasing the cost of all your goods across the board. Ethanol program is raising the cost of your food. Regulatory burdens are raising the cost of your medicines & everything else under the sun. Obama's QE printing press is devaluing your dollar and decreasing your purchasing power. And on and on and on. Cut the government by 30% across the board, eliminate the EPA and scale back the FDA & FCC and all the other departments that are nickel-diming industry into unprofitability. Eliminate all the tax loopholes and other gimmicks that are creating so much economic uncertainty from day to day. And above all else, repeal the nightmare that is Obamacare. That's what needs to happen - not the pathetic bandaid illusion of increasing minimum wage. That's just a shell game.
    Last edited by The Riddler; 2013-09-18 at 01:30 AM.

Don't worry people, Obama just needs to raise taxes to 150% on the rich (Police, Unions, Congressman and anyone in the Government is exempt from this) and print up another $40 trillion dollars to support everyone. Money doesn't grow on trees you know!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
    The sad reality is that for all of Obama's trillions in spending, he's created very few jobs. I'm talking REAL jobs, not the part time, low-wage junk jobs that his spin-monkeys in the media and elsewhere constantly cite. Obama claims to have created 2.X million jobs, but big whoop when like 90% of those jobs are working minimum wage at Wal-Mart.
    Hmm I dunno about that
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-most-new-job/