Voters
47. This poll is closed
  • High Speed

23 48.94%
  • Low Speed

24 51.06%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    It really just depends on the driver not the speed you are going. My dad is a superb driver and he drives at pretty fast speeds sometimes and he sometimes makes other drivers look like idiots. Being a safe driver doesn't mean going slower than everyone else it just means being more careful and observant and obeying the rules of the road. It's people that like to go 60 mph in a 25 mph street and think they're in Fast and the Furious and people who don't read the street signs and go through stop signs like they own the road or something (just had that happen driving to work) that cause accidents, idiots is what I call them.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    I haven't been able to find anything to verify that. I64/77 in Charleston seems to 60 MPH (link). As for I95 in Atlanta, do you mean I75/85? I95 runs down the coast. Also, no. I75/85 in Atlanta looks like it's 55 MPH (link). This is just like in Detroit where it drops to 55 (link) inside the city limits.

Anyway, sorry for the examples, but I really don't think there's such a thing as 45 MPH on a freeway or limited access highway in the US, and especially not just to have a speed trap.

That's not to say "a highway" can't be that low. A highway is a pretty broad range of roads. Woodward Avenue (link) for example is M-1 and is a Michigan highway. Speed limit ranges from 35 to 45 MPH.
    found one, but i know there are others out there

http://www.speedtrap.org/view/Florida/45077
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't know what causes more accidents, but I know that force increases exponentially with speed, and thus high speeds cause nastier accidents. I generally wish people would slow the fuck down when driving on surface streets.
    If you hit a stationary object, yes.

If you are going 80 mph and hit a car that's doing 75 mph, the damage won't be bad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post

If you are going 80 mph and hit a car that's doing 75 mph, the damage won't be bad.
    It will be if they both go out of control and then hit stationary objects.

You're serious?

You're serious?
    Falling from 12 stories wouldn't cause that much damage either.

You're serious?
    Well unless you lose control.

But honestly, accidents in general are far fewer in number when everyone is traveling the same speed... and people are going to travel at whatever speed they feel comfortable at regardless of the law. So wouldn't it make sense to set the speed limit at what ~85% of drivers on the road travel at? You may be going faster, but with everyone traveling the same speed, conditions for accidents are far less frequent. Fewer lane changes to pass slow motherfuckers would be a huge boon.

Well unless you lose control.
    Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?
    You missed the point. If everyone is traveling the same speed, there are far fewer situations where an accident would be likely.

I don't know what causes more accidents, but I know that force increases exponentially with speed, and thus high speeds cause nastier accidents. I generally wish people would slow the fuck down when driving on surface streets.
    Why exponentially? If we're talking about momentum, its a linear equation.