View Poll Results: Who do you support in the Cyprus dispute?

Voters
26. This poll is closed
  • I support the Turkish people.

3 11.54%
  • I support the Greek settlers.

23 88.46%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercadi View Post
    So the Mythic Dawn was a real order? Ok, I'm done. This is just plain silly.
    The Golden Dawn he keeps referring to is a neo-nazi right wing Greek political party.
    That being said, I'm sure this guy is...oh wait not worth the infraction.
    I support neither the Greeks nor the Turks. Cyprus should be the one to decide. With how things are done on the Turkish side that seems impossible however.
    I do know for a fact that the Turks invaded Greece.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and OP your bias is showing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will have to support the Greeks on this. I was involved a small bit with the peace process in the early 2000s.
    Both sides have acted poorly, but the Turks are more of the issue preventing peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Megraam View Post
    It should be written as
    I support the Greek people.
    I support the Turkish occupants.
    Sorry but the Greeks are the settlers.

Quote Originally Posted by Count_Satyros View Post
    The Golden Dawn he keeps referring to is a neo-nazi right wing Greek political party.
    That being said, I'm sure this guy is...oh wait not worth the infraction.
    I support neither the Greeks nor the Turks. Cyprus should be the one to decide. With how things are done on the Turkish side that seems impossible however.
    I do know for a fact that the Turks invaded Greece.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and OP your bias is showing.
    Of course his bias is showing. He's a bigot.
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by kidkilla View Post
    Who do you support in the Cyprus dispute? I support the Turkish people.
    I think we should let Israel take over the island, and kick everyone out but their own citizens. Why isn't that in your Poll, OP?
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Isn't it universally accepted by everyone except Turkey that Cyprus is actually Greek, and that it is Turkey who is there illegally? It doesn't really strike me as an urgent matter, but as far as my knowledge on the matter goes, everyone believes Turkey is in the wrong here.

Maybe I'm not educated enough on the matter though, who knows!?

Deleted
    Ottomanism is out dated and too nationalistic. I hope Erdogan brings Shariah. Divine law is better than man made laws.
    No thanks, the west grew out of that bullshit hundreds of years ago.

The Turkish people are the illegal settlers, the Greeks are the indigenous population.

Is this kidkilla fellow for real? What is your problem? The island of Cyprus has been inhabited by Greeks for 2,000 years, and island continued to be a Greek-majority island despite being ruled over by the Roman Empire and the Ottoman Empire and other states in between and the British Empire after right before they became independent. Before 1974 the Greek population was evenly divided across the entire island. The Turkish part of the population was less than 20% and they too were quite evenly spread out across the island. Then the Republic of Turkey invaded, forcefully evicting the Greeks from the North side, giving their land to the Turkish minority and encouraged Turks from Turkey to move there as well.

The Turks are the illegal settlers, and thus I cannot vote on the question because there is no appropriate option to vote for. You are so ignorant and insulting that I can hardly believe that you are not trolling us all. Do you for real believe your own words? Are you Turkish? If so I fear what kind of propaganda the history books (and the media, since the invasion of Cyprus wasn't even that long ago) of Turkey provide its children with.

What is your opinion of the fact that Turkey committed genocide against the native population of Western Armenia?

What is your opinion of the fact that Turkey in the 21st century continues to oppress the Kurdish people, after having tried to erase their culture, language and identity for so long? Do you support the right of all people for self-determination, and so also agree that south-east Turkey should belong to an independent Kurdistan?

I think we should let Israel take over the island, and kick everyone out but their own citizens. Why isn't that in your Poll, OP?
    Lol do you really think the zionists can defeat the Turkish army or Mujahideen? Cyprus belongs to the Turkish people not Greeks or Jews.

Deleted
    Agreed. Everytime someone in the middle east does something we don't like we should give a little bit more of the middle east to Israel. There's not nearly enough trolling in international affairs.

Deleted
    Lol do you really think the zionists can defeat the Turkish army or Mujahideen? Cyprus belongs to the Turkish people not Greeks or Jews.
    They kind of did a bunch of times actually.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    Isn't it universally accepted by everyone except Turkey that Cyprus is actually Greek, and that it is Turkey who is there illegally? It doesn't really strike me as an urgent matter, but as far as my knowledge on the matter goes, everyone believes Turkey is in the wrong here.

Maybe I'm not educated enough on the matter though, who knows!?
    For all their virtues, showing that a country with muslim majority can modernize and become part of the West, the Turks seem to be so fiercely nationalistic that it gives them reality denying powers. Kinda like Orihime.
    For another example, see the Armenian genocide.

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemii View Post
    Agreed. Everytime someone in the middle east does something we don't like we should give a little bit more of the middle east to Israel. There's not nearly enough trolling in international affairs.
    Imagine the frothing rage it would cause. Anytime anyone kills their own people or invades another country, we should take 1/4 of their land and give it to someone they hate.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    Is this kidkilla fellow for real? What is your problem? The island of Cyprus has been inhabited by Greeks for 2,000 years, and island continued to be a Greek-majority island despite being ruled over by the Roman Empire and the Ottoman Empire and other states in between and the British Empire after right before they became independent. Before 1974 the Greek population was evenly divided across the entire island. The Turkish part of the population was less than 20% and they too were quite evenly spread out across the island. Then the Republic of Turkey invaded, forcefully evicting the Greeks from the North side, giving their land to the Turkish minority and encouraged Turks from Turkey to move there as well.

The Turks are the illegal settlers, and thus I cannot vote on the question because there is no appropriate option to vote for. You are so ignorant and insulting that I can hardly believe that you are not trolling us all. Do you for real believe your own words? Are you Turkish? If so I fear what kind of propaganda the history books (and the media, since the invasion of Cyprus wasn't even that long ago) of Turkey provide its children with.

What is your opinion of the fact that Turkey committed genocide against the native population of Western Armenia?

What is your opinion of the fact that Turkey in the 21st century continues to oppress the Kurdish people, after having tried to erase their culture, language and identity for so long? Do you support the right of all people for self-determination, and so also agree that south-east Turkey should belong to an independent Kurdistan?
    Make a new thread if you want to talk about the Armenian lost. Yes military lost does not equate to genocide. I am alright with Kurds in Mujahideen but not the Marxist PKK types.

Deleted
    gonna assume your turkish because of the bias awnsers to the poll.
    Cyprus is greek.
    reasons : Ancient greeks settle there from around 1400 BC and were the first, simple. Cyprus has always thru out the ages had heavy greek influence and most people there are and have been greek, no matter who conquered the island and there have been many.
    Just because the ottoman empire once conquered it doesn't make it Turkish , hell by that logic it might as well be italian (rome/venice) , egyptian(hellenistic) , Persian or British or any of the other old and long gone empires that conquered it.
    Turkey should leave the past alone , they are no longer the Ottoman empire and it will never come back.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Turkish Army is the only reliable thing in Turkey, but I am not sure I would give them the nod over Israel.

15+ Year Old Account
    From what I can tell, "Mycenaean Greeks were undoubtedly inhabiting Cyprus from the late stage of the Bronze Age, while the island's Greek name is already attested from the 15th century B.C. in the Linear B script.[4]" - pretty sure 15th century BCE Greeks predate the existence of Turkey by about 3,000 years. Even going off your Selkat Horde claim (500 AD), the Greeks have a claim the predates it by 2,000 years.

You may as well land a boat in Los Angeles at this point and claim you "discovered it", and that we should nevermind about the pesky English settlers claiming the land is already called 'America' (and that they are not English).
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    The Turkish Army is the only reliable thing in Turkey, but I am not sure I would give them the nod over Israel.
    The Turkish army is inflitrated by extreme nationalists secularists nowadays. Erdogan did avert a coup by rogue military leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Read a bit about the recent arrests of Turkish military officers if you like. Thousands of them are imprisoned for plotting against Erdogan. Turkish military is neutered and demoralized.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Turkey Invaded Cyprus in the 70's they occupy 50% of the land illegally according to the UN, and they refuse to leave or negotiate. So the Turks can GTFO.