Poll: Is WoW graphic too cartoony?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    No doubt if WoW was made today, it would include a better gfx engine. I personally don't see a problem with WoW's graphics being too cartoony.

I like WoW style better (and Wildtar). GW2 and rift art style for me looks really bad when there's a lot going on in your screen. The colors combined looks really bland in combat. It only looks pretty if your questing and looking @ scenery but it also feels that some bad textures are cheated by modern lighting and some post process blur thats going on.

I would like to see WoW more grittier rather then colorful/cartoonish, especially when we get the new player models. My character needs to look like a badass that has been trough so many wars, not like an action figure

10+ Year Old Account
    Not "too" cartoonish, but definitely cartoonish.

However, I love the art style of WoW. The bright colours and visually engaging art is a big factor for why I became more invested in this game. Conversely, MMOs with more realistic graphics tend to get really boring on the eyes for me -- everything is a shade of grey, brown, or green. Bleh.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Smooth gameplay > graphics that fall into the Uncanny Valley anyway.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

I actually stopped playing the Final Fantasy games when they jumped from cartoony to higher end graphics. I want my games to look like games.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I actually stopped playing the Final Fantasy games when they jumped from cartoony to higher end graphics. I want my games to look like games.
    FFXIV is an example of a game in which high graphics quality has negatively affected gameplay. It's sad, I had high hopes for it.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Smooth gameplay > graphics that fall into the Uncanny Valley anyway.

i can get behind this,
    the importance of in-game physics is often underestimated, if not comepletely off many players' radar
    and of course play mechanics and game flow are surely as important as sensory presentation. These factors all need to be balanced.

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really a problem.

They formed this style back in the old warcrafts, they seem to fit home within the World of Warcraft too. A lovely addition to the game market still, even though it has come of age - many still learn of it, or even enjoy it.

Though, I could easily be convinced to step a game if they added a bit more of my wishes into existence. But for now, there isn't many other choices.

So, charge and move forward! PUNT THE GNOME and tackle the tree!... oh, wait.. it's a druid, EVEN BETTER!
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Helllll to the no. A change to "realistic" graphics would herald the end of WoW's existence - one of the biggest reasons WoW has lasted as long as it has is its cartoonish graphics. Plus they're beautiful/unique, so I wouldn't want them to change anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is cartoony then there is ugly.

WoW is at this point, ugly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate games that try to look more realistic. The new final fantasy game, wow is that ugly and boring. Reminds me of EQ. Gameplay is just way to rough. I love color and art more freedom to do awesome beautiful creative environments.

I never thought it looked too cartoonish until I saw the new Garrosh model. His goofy movements (facial expressions, especially) don't seem to fit well with the entire rest of the game's animation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see this thread topic come up from time to time. Always the same with me. It's kind of cartoonish, but it's the style that WoW is known for and it's a great style. Imo WoW would lose a lot of its esteem if it was reformatted to be "realistic".

Most MMO's that go after realism end up looking pretty awful, and don't age well at all.

What this game used to lack was a crispness to the art in general (this is very evident in old armor), and that really hasn't been an issue for a few expansions now.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's fine imo... given it's age it's understandable and while it's not as realistic as some newer games I still wouldn't necessarily call it cartoony. It's kind of that in-between spot.

Deleted
    I like it the way it is now.

I remember when wow was coming out that the cartoony graphics were one of the major negative points about it. Only kids will play it! Look how it did compared to all the fancy graphic games that came out around the same time

I prefer WoW. There's too much Uncanny Valley going on in Rift and GW2 for me, I deliberately choose non-human toons (or in the case of Rift, as non-human as possible) to play in those games.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Absolutely not.

The issue with a 'realistic' graphical style is that it very quickly expires as technology improves. A good artistic design always triumphs over graphical power. Look at a game like RIFT that blew WoW out of the water, graphically, when it first came out. Compare the two of them now. The fact of the matter simply is that realistic graphics age much faster, and that is a bad thing.That is the only reason World of Warcraft has been able to continue to look decent, despite being run off of an engine that is at least 11 years old.

If they ever completely overhaul the engine and art assets for a WoW 2, I hope they keep the same artistic direction.