Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Panera Bread CEO " Welfare Challenger " Will lived off $4.50 a day

Panera Bread's CEO Tries to Eat on $4.50 a Day

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...,2313385.story

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...tamps/2826547/

You know this is a good story i wish more CEO would do this and see how hard it is, Because i am one of million of " legitamate welfare receiver " compair to those ABUSE THE SYSTEM that need this and i hope is a good learning experience !

10+ Year Old Account
    When I was unsure of my finances, I once did a $2/meal ($6/day) diet for about 2 months. Most of my meals were Ramen Noodles, Corn Dogs, Chicken Nuggets, or Cheese Fries. I ended up losing like 15-20 pounds, bringing me down to 165 lbs. I'm 6'5", and reasonably large framed, so everyone thought I was scary unhealthy skinny.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    I only spend about 10 bucks a week for food. I get free food at work but I only eat once a day and I have to buy food on my day off. Being poor is awful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Corey Booker did this a few months ago

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I only spend about 10 bucks a week for food. I get free food at work but I only eat once a day and I have to buy food on my day off. Being poor is awful.
    I spend more than this in one day for food. Laziness will be my downfall one day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Food costs can get out of hand if you let them.

If I go to the farmers market in town, I can spend $10 on fruits and veggies to last a week. I then go to the super market and buy my meats spices and sauces and pastas.

I really don't need to spend more than $50 on food for a week. I will have plenty of diversity in my meals and not break my bank.

However, i do not do this all the time. I have weeks where I eat out every meal. That runs me about $100+ a week if I go out to eat and get fast food or delivery every day.

You pay heavily for convenience. But if you make everything from scratch and shop wisely (get coupons and other discounts), you can drastically reduce your food costs.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    i've had to eat cheap in the past, only a few £s a day, mostly just bought cheap veg, noodles and sometimes cheap chicken. wasn't the best meals, but it was cheap.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem to me is still with the farm subsidy bill. Our taxes go to Monsanto to make corn and corn byproducts cheaper then dirt while only 1% of the bill goes to fruit and veg'. So we are in essence paying via our taxes to make unhealthy food cheap.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i've had to eat cheap in the past, only a few £s a day, mostly just bought cheap veg, noodles and sometimes cheap chicken. wasn't the best meals, but it was cheap.
    That is actually much healthier than many others eat.

Veggies + Pasta + Grilled Chicken + a lite sauce. Far better than eating Cheese Burgers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    The problem to me is still with the farm subsidy bill. Our taxes go to Monsanto to make corn and corn byproducts cheaper then dirt while only 1% of the bill goes to fruit and veg'. So we are in essence paying via our taxes to make unhealthy food cheap.
    Agreed, but it really (in my area at least) isn't too much cheaper. It just comes down to looking for the right sales and the right coupons.

Deleted
    Personally, I can (and had to, if I was low on funds) live off like 2.50€ per day, this includes drinking (bottle of water, but no coffee =/ )
    This includes canned food (peasoup for example) with little meat, or stuff like noodles with cheese sauce. If' I#m desperate, nutmegged noodles (noodles + nutmeg + salt + butter) are the cheapest I can get, short of dry bread.

However, that is neither healthy nor too tasty, at least not for long. I prefer to cook my own food, but fresh ingredients aren't cheap =/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    Personally, I can (and had to, if I was low on funds) live off like 2.50€ per day, this includes drinking (bottle of water, but no coffee =/ )
    This includes canned food (peasoup for example) with little meat, or stuff like noodles with cheese sauce. If' I#m desperate, nutmegged noodles (noodles + nutmeg + salt + butter) are the cheapest I can get, short of dry bread.

However, that is neither healthy nor too tasty, at least not for long. I prefer to cook my own food, but fresh ingredients aren't cheap =/
    At less than $1 per pound at the farmers market, fresh ingredients are super cheap.

he sure as hell wont be eating at panera
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    At less than $1 per pound at the farmers market, fresh ingredients are super cheap.
    lucky you, but over here I have to pay an arm and a leg if I want dem veggies

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    lucky you, but over here I have to pay an arm and a leg if I want dem veggies
    I'm not surprised. I remember discussing this in an older thread and someone from middle america said the same thing. That even at a farmers market, fruits and veggies were not cheap.

The only part that does surprise me is that here in NJ, everything is more expensive than you would think it should be. But yet fruits and veggies are actually quite cheap.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not surprised. I remember discussing this in an older thread and someone from middle america said the same thing. That even at a farmers market, fruits and veggies were not cheap.

The only part that does surprise me is that here in NJ, everything is more expensive than you would think it should be. But yet fruits and veggies are actually quite cheap.
    Lots of small farms in and around NJ, same with where I am in the SF/Bay Area. When you start to move in from the coasts, into the area people tend to think of as "farm country", the independent farms go away to be replaced with massive agribusiness farms that don't sell at farmers markets.

Even here however, farmers markets are seasonal. While California produces a majority of the nations winter vegetables, they are again large corporate farms that don't sell at farmers markets.
    Last edited by Kujako; 2013-09-18 at 04:30 PM.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Right now I try to keep my weekly expenses at $120... and that is for my 2 kids, myself and our dog. It's doable, but most of the time there is not much left afterwards.
    For people saying that $120 is a lot of money.. A 7 and a 9 year old do not eat much less than an adult, nor do they drink much less. Which means, spread out between the three of us, I have about $5.75 per day for each of us, not calculating in the dogfood.
    "Reality: The refuge of those who fail in RPGs"
    ~Though this be madness, yet there is method in't~

10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of small farms in and around NJ, same with where I am in the SF/Bay Area. When you start to move in from the coasts, into the area people tend to think of as "farm country", the independent farms go away to be replaced with massive agribusiness farms that don't sell at farmers markets.

Even here however, farmers markets are seasonal. While California produces a majority of the nations winter vegetables, they are again large corporate farms that don't sell at farmers markets.
    Thanks for that! Color me ignorant, I had no idea that middle America was mostly corporate farms. That makes much more sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rob D View Post
    Right now I try to keep my weekly expenses at $120... and that is for my 2 kids, myself and our dog. It's doable, but most of the time there is not much left afterwards.
    For people saying that $120 is a lot of money.. A 7 and a 9 year old do not eat much less than an adult, nor do they drink much less. Which means, spread out between the three of us, I have about $5.75 per day for each of us, not calculating in the dogfood.
    That is tough man. I only support myself and sometimes, I find myself spending almost that amount alone in week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for that! Color me ignorant, I had no idea that middle America was mostly corporate farms. That makes much more sense.
    Well... I don't want to misrepresent things. They are for the most part still "family farms", but more often then not they are under contract with a corporation rather then being responsible for brining the goods they produce to market. However once you buy your seeds each year from Monsanto (not allowed to keep any seeds form last years harvest) and sell 100% of your crop to a Monsanto subsidiary I consider you a Monsanto employee rather then a family farmer.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... I don't want to misrepresent things. They are for the most part still "family farms", but more often then not they are under contract with a corporation rather then being responsible for brining the goods they produce to market. However once you buy your seeds each year from Monsanto (not allowed to keep any seeds form last years harvest) and sell 100% of your crop to a Monsanto subsidiary I consider you a Monsanto employee rather then a family farmer.
    To quote the show "The 4400", "They don't know what to do with the resources they have" This line is coming from a visitor from the future where the government had seized all resources and distributed them as they saw fit.

It's sad that something as "simple" as farming can be controlled by a corrupt corporation. (Simple meaning basic human need.)

Personally I started square foot gardening.
    I built several boxes and I am growing all types of vegetables.
    I am going to build some more boxes to get ready for next year.
    I can grow hundreds of pounds of food from seeds.
    I have fed myself, my family and my neighbors.
    I encourage people to grow their own food because heirloom food grown from seed has much more nutrients then non heirloom and even more nutrients then GMO grown vegetables.

- - - Updated - - -

I live in New Jersey and you are not telling the truth about fruit or vegetable prices, at least in supermarkets, not everyone has access to a farmers market.