Poll: Should PVP-flagging be confirmed before applying it?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    You kill some lowbie with a one-hit and do not confirm getting PvP tag, isn't thing senseless? That would be kinda ridiculous.
    That's not what was said. Read passed the title and you'll see this:

Quote Originally Posted by AVPaul View Post
    1) You accidentally targeted player/NPC with flag
    2) You accidentally hit some dmg spell
    3) Before actually applying this spell to other player/NPC game will ask you to confirm PVP-flagging
    4) If you agree, hit OK and spell will be applied - you will be flagged
    5) Hit cancel and spell will be cancelled

It's probably still in place this way because of the way that NPCs and guards work and how they can flag you. I've often thought that you should not be able to harm players on a PvE realm until you have toggled your flag "/pvp".
    to: preposition; used as a function word to indicate position, connection, extent, relation ~ too: adverb; also, very, excessively, so

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    That's not what was said. Read passed the title and you'll see this:
    You want to kill some lowbie fast -> you have to confirm PvP -> lowbie is off.

It's working in 2 ways, and both are wrong.

Leave PvP-flagging as it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree that it would be fair to only be able to attack another player if you toggle your /pvp flag on. Although currently I have a lot of fun running around on the timeless isle censored and getting people to hit me so I can kill them on my PvE realm :P

10+ Year Old Account
    If I recall correctly, good old Ultima Online had that setting in the menu. If turned off, you would flag yourself pvp should you attack another pvp flagged player. If you turned the option on, it would give you you a confirmation gump. In addition to being able to flag yourself for pvp with a command or going to Felucca.
    Personally I wouldn't mind seeing it in WOW as well.
    "Reality: The refuge of those who fail in RPGs"
    ~Though this be madness, yet there is method in't~

I don't see a reason to ever have PVP on a PVE realm. I "grew up" on a PVP realm and at end of Cata joined a PVE realm to play with a friend. It's a ridiculous system to have PVP where people don't want it, so your poll omits my opinion. I would remove PVP entirely from PVE realms. Anyone hungering for World PVP will not find it on PVE realm. As far as I can tell "pre-Isle" PVP was mostly misclicking a griefer and dying to guards in shared areas.

The behavior in Timeless Isle is intentional on Blizzard's part. On a PVE realm, I virtually never see people with a PVP flag on. You need 50 bloody coins (killing blows) in order to buy the item to get bloody coins from other forms of PVP. I would definitely have less than 5 bloody coins if I never tricked someone into hitting me. For Blizzard to believe you'd get that many in any reasonable amount of time on a PVE server is crazy -- they intend for "accidents" to happen.

flagging is fine the way it is. Pay attention to what you're doing if you don't want to be flagged. It's as simple as that.

I like the idea of having a setting that completely disables the potential for PVP if you so choose. The confirmation method isn't really practical because frantic circumstances don't always allow for extra alert box clicking, but for someone who never wants to engage in world PVP it would be an easy way to circumvent the griefers. An automatic flag on entering an enemy city would still be necessary, but when it comes to accidentally tab-targeting a player on the Timeless Isle... yeah, I don't see why that's still a thing.
    The Devil Wears Transmog
    World of Warcraft Fashion for the Discerning Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by the View Post
    I don't see a reason to ever have PVP on a PVE realm. I "grew up" on a PVP realm and at end of Cata joined a PVE realm to play with a friend. It's a ridiculous system to have PVP where people don't want it, so your poll omits my opinion. I would remove PVP entirely from PVE realms. Anyone hungering for World PVP will not find it on PVE realm. As far as I can tell "pre-Isle" PVP was mostly misclicking a griefer and dying to guards in shared areas.

The behavior in Timeless Isle is intentional on Blizzard's part. On a PVE realm, I virtually never see people with a PVP flag on. You need 50 bloody coins (killing blows) in order to buy the item to get bloody coins from other forms of PVP. I would definitely have less than 5 bloody coins if I never tricked someone into hitting me. For Blizzard to believe you'd get that many in any reasonable amount of time on a PVE server is crazy -- they intend for "accidents" to happen.
    There is no pve realms. There's PVP and normal realms. To say that it is pve only realm you would have to remove achievements like For the Horde and For the Alliance. Otherwise if you leave them in and pvp isn't aloud then how are the factions supposed to defend their capitals? Just let the guard fight? That takes all challenge away from those achievements. So yeah those two achievements would have to be removed and then "PVE" realms are deprived of an achievement and the bear mount that goes with it.

If people can't stop themselves from targeting or attacking a player then they deserve to get flagged and have to fight/escape/wait for a *gasp* whole 5 minutes. It's really not hard to see the difference between a player and a mob, especially when your PvP is off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Naw, but it would be nice if you could toggle it off entirely so that flagged players can not be targeted for offensive or beneficial abilities.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

System is fine as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by AVPaul View Post
    As you may know, any potentially dangerous operation in Wow as long, as any other software, should be confirmed before execution. You shift-deleting file or epic from your bags? This may happen accidentally? Can it be undesired? Yeah. Then it should be confirmed! So why PVP flagging applys without any confirmation? Shouldn't it be fixed?
    I'd like that. Here's how it would work:

Dead tired, you think you see a mob so you shoot it. It does absolutely no damage whatsoever, even if it was your biggest CD. A popup message happens on your screen - You are not flagged for PVP but have attacked a target that will flag you for PVP. Your attack did nothing. Type /PVP now to enable attacking this target".

Or something like that. Because I've accidently killed a couple people I honestly didn't mean to, and I've also gotten pwned a by a few elite level 90 guards I honestly thought were those undead monks. Tushui guys or something. Woops. Yes, I should get more sleep and not play tired. Still, this would be the final nail in the coffin of the griefers - and let's face it, if you're a griefer the rest of us non-griefers would stand in line for the honor of hammering that final nail home.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    how can you POSSIBLY say that? we have more raids and PVE oriented content than anything in this game.
    You can say it because they specifically made half the crap in MOP to force you into the world so world PVP would happen. They stated this. So glad we moved to a PVE realm. So. Glad.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be impossible for the game to guess whether you hit the flagged player accidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by markdall View Post
    I'd like that. Here's how it would work:

Dead tired, you think you see a mob so you shoot it. It does absolutely no damage whatsoever, even if it was your biggest CD. A popup message happens on your screen - You are not flagged for PVP but have attacked a target that will flag you for PVP. Your attack did nothing. Type /PVP now to enable attacking this target".

Or something like that. Because I've accidently killed a couple people I honestly didn't mean to, and I've also gotten pwned a by a few elite level 90 guards I honestly thought were those undead monks. Tushui guys or something. Woops. Yes, I should get more sleep and not play tired. Still, this would be the final nail in the coffin of the griefers - and let's face it, if you're a griefer the rest of us non-griefers would stand in line for the honor of hammering that final nail home.

- - - Updated - - -

You can say it because they specifically made half the crap in MOP to force you into the world so world PVP would happen. They stated this. So glad we moved to a PVE realm. So. Glad.
    If you can't tell the difference between a player and an NPC because you're "tired" (really?) then it really wouldn't matter what you target. You're still going to die. People need to stop being derpy and accept consequences of making mistakes/doing it wrong. If you call getting killed once [wait it out, else again that's your own stupidity] because you attacked someone instead of actually looking at what you were doing "griefing" then I think we've found the source of all the whine tickets Blizzard get making the queues long. :|

Also, besides a single quest to win two BGs, nothing - and especially not "half the crap in MoP" - has forced you to PvP at all. There have been areas to incite PvP, but it was never forced. Even when fighting against the other faction's NPCs in Krassarang you still didn't need to PvP tag.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2013-09-19 at 11:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by banestalker View Post
    how can you POSSIBLY say that? we have more raids and PVE oriented content than anything in this game.
    That's because PvE requires more content than PvP. PvPers can re-use the same content for years. It's a bit of a stupid thing to say -.-

Like others have said, if you don't want to be flagged, DON'T freaking hit the guy and BE CAREFUL with your abilities when you see flagged players around. Or do you want blizzard to hold your hand everywhere you go in-case big angry PvP-guy comes chasing you?

I'm sorry, but it's something YOU can fix by paying attention. Blizzard shouldn't fix the lack of awareness you have :/

Quote Originally Posted by Emfg View Post
    I'm sorry, but it's something YOU can fix by paying attention. Blizzard shouldn't fix the lack of awareness you have :/
    Coming Soon™ - "You're standing in fire. Are you sure you wish to stand in fire? [Yes / No]"
    After that - "You were standing in fire so we moved you out of it."
    Then Hotfixed shortly after "We no longer move you out of fire, but instead move the fire!"

Ah the playerbase, so funs!
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2013-09-19 at 11:18 PM.

A confirmation when you hit a PvP flagged player, before you become flagged yourself? What would happen to that first hit on the flagged player?

Unless the rule is changed so that targeting a flagged player and just attempting to start an attack triggers a confirmation, rather than actually having to hit them to flag you as currently.

Maybe AOE should ignore flagged players if you aren't flagged on a PvE server. Sounds rife for abuse though. Who knows how, WoW players collectively can be pretty creative.

No easy solution here. My instinct though is to tell PvE players to suck it up, because it's not a big deal.
    Last edited by hablix; 2013-09-19 at 11:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by patcherke View Post
    Well I must say it would not be a problem, if there weren’t asshole pvp players standing on top of quest npc’s, preferably with a mount big enough that it covers the whole NPC.

So my opinion is that I never want to be flagged for PvP, unless I chose explicitly to be.

And to your “wait 5 minutes for the flag to wear off” comment : sorry I don’t want to wait 5 minutes because I made a mistake. It is already bad enough that I have to do the graveyard run because some asshole decided it was fun to camp on a questgiver.. Thát is the issue.
    The bolded part is the part I simply don't understand. Why have this opinion? Is your character an extension of one's self? Do you die a little bit when your character dies? Dying is a part of the game. Yes you can be camped etc, but to me that is motivation to get better. not take to the forums to whine and bitch. If you accidentally hit a PvP flagged player, you get owned, and need to wait for the flag then get up stretch and grab a snack or a drink. You'd be surprised how quickly 5min goes by when you do that.

P.S.- I've only ever played on PvE realms. (Arathor, Drenden, Zul'Jin)

Quote Originally Posted by hablix View Post
    Maybe AOE should ignore flagged players if you aren't flagged on a PvE server. Sounds rife for abuse though. Who knows how, WoW players collectively can be pretty creative.
    AoE already does ignore flagged players if you aren't flagged. :|