Got told by the Uni admissions that:

I applied for a Bachelor of Primary Education majoring in religious education
    because I want to work at catholic schools, they pay more in Australia.
    I got accepted except for a couple of things which included just doing a 6 month tertiary certificate
    in a relevant course to prove that I could handle the study since I left before finishing high school
    because of a few things not relevant to this situation. It wasn't ever for a lack of good grades.

So 3-4 months later while I'm doing everything they told me to do.. Looking good so far.
    The lowest mark I have gotten so far in the bridging course is a Credit+. Can't complain really.
    I even had correspondence via email with them no longer than 2 weeks ago just to confirm everything
    and let them know how everything was going.

Then this morning I receive an email saying my application has been denied because of pending legislation
    changes that will be going through in 2015. To gain entry to UNI for mature age students I now
    must have a relevant diploma at the very least.

I feel incredibly hard done by. Fair enough they want to change the requirements and all but I was given
    information and accepted on the basis that I completed a particular path. I've done this so far
    and now I've been set back at least another year.

I called up the admissions center and almost lost my temper.
    Am I right to feel so hard done by?

It's not their fault legislation changes.

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    Am I right to feel so hard done by?
    Yes. Put simply, you got fucked. I don't think you have any recourse though, so I think it's best to just vent and then move on with a new plan.

Sorry, I should of mentioned that they are PREPARING for the legislation changes.
    It's not a requirement YET. It will continue not to be until 2015, like I mentioned.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm under the impression that education systems everywhere have their... faults. I just finished an 8 month knock-down drag-out fight with my university in regard to my own degree, and it was largely based on admissions counselor incompetence.

1) Keep calm. Regardless of whose fault or none, keep your cool. Keep professional.
    2) Schedule some time with one of the counselors, or even the dean of admissions if you have to.
    3) Keep on them about it. Find out what they need, and if there are loopholes or ways you can appeal. Oftentimes it might be possible use a grandfathering system to get in still.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    Sorry, I should of mentioned that they are PREPARING for the legislation changes.
    It's not a requirement YET. It will continue not to be until 2015, like I mentioned.
    Yes, but legislation is the government, the admissions office is the college. They didn't fuck you over, the legislators did.

I agree with your frustration. Legislation may change, but it isn't changing until 2015. Also you were accepted under terms and conditions of the present, future legislation changes should not affect that. Obviously this isn't the case, unfortunately. So yes, you do have a right to be upset, but unfortunately you still have to do things their way.

Unfortunately future legislation will affect his ability to be hired. If he doesn't have all the required papers under the new laws then he stands a very good chance of not being able to get the kind of job that he wants. I agree that it sucks, and I agree that it totally isn't fair; but you have to weigh the options at this point. The school seems to be changing it's policy in light of the new legislation, so I would recommend taking a look at your certificate requirements under the school's guidelines. There's a good chance that they have a provision about having to change aspects of the certification process.
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Yes, but legislation is the government, the admissions office is the college. They didn't fuck you over, the legislators did.
    If he could have started school before 2015 then it is the school that is responsible. Otherwise he could have been admitted before the requirement come into effect.

I would recommend doing whatever is equivalent to a GED in Australia. In the US you just have to take a test that shows you have enough knowledge to pass high school. If you want to be a teacher you should be able to do that without a problem. I am surprised that you could actually get into a university without a high school degree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shit happens. Especially when trying to get into uni. They changed the rules You are going to have to just deal with that. You aren't the first nor the last person to get knocked back from uni. So just work for a year. Save some money. Yes it is shit but there is nothing you can do about it.

To add. Both my parents are teachers (In Australia) and have been for 10/20 years. The pay between public and private aren't that different. Unless you want to be head teacher of something (prepare to kiss some ass if you want to go anywhere in teaching).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    I would recommend doing whatever is equivalent to a GED in Australia. In the US you just have to take a test that shows you have enough knowledge to pass high school. If you want to be a teacher you should be able to do that without a problem. I am surprised that you could actually get into a university without a high school degree.
    It's different here. You do a uni course that takes a year. It's pretty much doing your final year in high school but in a uni. There is a course just for 20+ year old people which makes it alot better because you don't have to do it with the 16/20 year olds. ALOT of people do it and it gets you entrance into any coarse you could wish for in that uni the next year.

TO THE OP, Newcastle uni accepts almost anyone into this course so if you don't plan on working next year you could check it out.

http://www.newcastle.edu.au/students...en-foundation/

My brother is doing it now and it is excellent. We live across the road from the uni and it is a really nice uni.
    Last edited by Airwaves; 2013-09-19 at 07:17 AM.
    Aye mate

I honestly can understand your frustration. Living in America we have a different system for these things, but my mother had a similar thing happen to her which was arguably worse. Essentially she went and got her two year degree in Occupational Therapy Assistance I believe. Unfortunately for her just as she was graduating they changed the laws here in the US so that most of the jobs she would have been able to get now required a non Assistance OT degree which I believe is four years. Being about 40 when she went back to school you can imagine how this kinda ruined her plans and even now it's very hard for her to find a job. She had to start her own business essentially since it was so hard to get work... Basically what I'm saying is you just need to work through it and hopefully in the end it will work out. It may take awhile, but you shouldn't give up. Good luck to you and I hope it all goes well.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Might be worth while to speak to a few other uni's. See if they're enforcing similar ruling this early.

It is possible that you can use some of the diploma to shorten the duration of the bachelor (recongnised prior learning).

Deleted
    You really want to work in a Catholic school purely because they pay more?

I personally couldn't justify perpetuating the indoctrination of children just because it pays more, it's practically child abuse. I don't mean that in an offensive way, but come on... It might be something you live to regret.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post

I personally couldn't justify perpetuating the indoctrination of children just because it pays more, it's practically child abuse. I don't mean that in an offensive way, but come on... It might be something you live to regret.
    Through my experence (Please other Aussies tell me if I'm wrong) here in Australia Catholic school are considered to be affordable private schools. While the church is a large part of them, I don't think they are too full on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post

I must have been too strong to give into the heavy bombardment of indoctrination from the catholic school that I went to. Did you have a bad experience, or is this just ignorance talking?

I would take a 2 prong approach. One is with your school. Why they are trying to enforce rules that won't come into play for another 2 years? Won't the changes only apply for those applying in 2015? Or I am reading it wrong?

The second prong is with the legislator. Find out who's writing the rule changes and get in touch with them. Let them know your complete story. Sometimes laws get passed without the lawmakers knowing the full consequences of them.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    I must have been too strong to give into the heavy bombardment of indoctrination from the catholic school that I went to. Did you have a bad experience, or is this just ignorance talking?
    Mine was indoctrination central. Ironically it's how I rejected it.

I've spoken to another UNI in my area and have now been accepted for next semester.
    Will be going in on Monday to sort out the paper work and HECS blah blah.

Channeled my anger over being mislead in to finding a place at another UNI which isn't enforcing legislation that isn't going to be in place until 2015 just
    because they "want to be ready" for when it does happen.