Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Judges are freaks. I got a speeding ticket recently, the first one in my life. I went to court to hoping to get the fine reduced seeing as it was my first offense. I wasn't first, and there were all these scumbags up before me. Guys who owned the court a lot money and all they had to say was "derp, I can't get a job to pay and blah blah blah" and he was like "can you pay anything at all?" and they'd be like "no, not really" (obviously lying imo) so he was like "we'll give you a 3 month extension." He was letting these guys off the hook left and right! If he didn't give them an extension he reduced the amount they had to pay per month.

This gave me hope for my speeding ticket. I got up there and told him that it was my first speeding ticket, that I thought I was going with the flow of traffic, all these things, and he's like "okay, well do you want to pay?" And I was like..."ummm, yes?" I didn't know what else to say. I explained myself, but apparently he didn't get that I wanted a reduction. So I ended up paying in full, while he's giving all these other dirtbags all sorts of perks.

Honestly the whole speeding ticket system is jacked up. You have to pay the fine within two weeks, but you can't get a court date before then. So basically they already have your money...if he was to reduce the fine they would have had to cut ME a check, so I guess it's just easier to never reduce and just keep the money they already have.

My advice to anyone else in the same situation...just hit the nail on the head and be like "I WANT A REDUCTION" because apparently judges are dense.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would bother me greatly if the judge were not calm, I don't want someone in a volatile emotional state making decisions that have life-changing impact on others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    Judges are freaks. I got a speeding ticket recently, the first one in my life. I went to court to hoping to get the fine reduced seeing as it was my first offense. I wasn't first, and there were all these scumbags up before me. Guys who owned the court a lot money and all they had to say was "derp, I can't get a job to pay and blah blah blah" and he was like "can you pay anything at all?" and they'd be like "no, not really" (obviously lying imo) so he was like "we'll give you a 3 month extension." He was letting these guys off the hook left and right! If he didn't give them an extension he reduced the amount they had to pay per month.

This gave me hope for my speeding ticket. I got up there and told him that it was my first speeding ticket, that I thought I was going with the flow of traffic, all these things, and he's like "okay, well do you want to pay?" And I was like..."ummm, yes?" I didn't know what else to say. I explained myself, but apparently he didn't get that I wanted a reduction. So I ended up paying in full, while he's giving all these other dirtbags all sorts of perks.

Honestly the whole speeding ticket system is jacked up. You have to pay the fine within two weeks, but you can't get a court date before then. So basically they already have your money...if he was to reduce the fine they would have had to cut ME a check, so I guess it's just easier to never reduce and just keep the money they already have.

My advice to anyone else in the same situation...just hit the nail on the head and be like "I WANT A REDUCTION" because apparently judges are dense.
    Umm... no. First of all, unless the Judge could prove they were lying, he was just trying to get through the cases without screwing these people over for good. You broke the law, you accepted your fine, you paid it, you clearly can pay it. Why the hell should you get a reduction?
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Deleted
    What the fuck? Innocent until proven guilty is a thing, and it is what our Justice system is supposed to be about.
    This.

As someone who is working towards being a judge in a few years, I find this question quite strange.
    You have to be calm and objective. This is what it is about, and this is exactly how it must be - if someone is bothered by this fact, they really should rethink their attitude.

Being able to take themselves away from the anger and aggression is part of their job, and a good judge does so.

Having a judge getting angry, or starting to get wound up by the defendant is only going to throw bias in the way of the prosecution. That said what T. J. Lane said was just disgusting, and I certainly would've done a little more about it, but I guess that is what he wants.

As many already have said. You're innocent until proven guilty. Judges are just proffessional.

Revenge and justice are two completely different things.
    revenge is an eye for an eye
    justice is deterring/preventing someone from being able to commit the crime again (this may have a similar out come as revenge but the difference is in how it is carried out eg. Revenge: beating someone to death for murder Justice: beheading or a lethal injection(I agree with the death penalty if there is 100% proof of that person commiting a crime at the level of murder or worse))
    God and maths? Hmm, the letter to alpha relation would be 7 - 15 - 4. Since it's all one word, it's safe to assume it's multiplication so it'd be 7*15*4=420. So realistically, god is related to cannabis? Perhaps that's what they were expecting you to write.

This is hilarious.

You went to court, failed to point out that you wanted a reduction, and you blame them for having to pay the full price of the ticket? Amazing.

You're dense. Not them.

Also, you assumed that these people that got an extension, or had to pay less were lying. It is the job of the judge not to assume such things. I find it quite strange that you call some guy a dirtbag simply because he DID get something out of it, and you didn't. Man you're self-centered.
    Last edited by Rampant Rabbit; 2013-09-20 at 07:38 AM.

Judges are professionals. For them to show displays of personal anger and such is the opposite of what should happen. The impartiality of a judge is at the very core of any good judicial system.

As for suspects of serious crimes being treated without hostility, that's just an extension of "innocent until proven guilty". Law-enforcement authorities should, wherever possibly, avoid treating someone like a criminal until they are proven guilty, unless treating them like a criminal is somehow necessary. An example of it being necessary is denying bail to someone who poses a significant flight risk, or flagging someone down for suspicious activity.

- - - Updated - - -

It sounds like you were at fault there. You didn't adequately communicate what you actually wanted.

The judge isn't psychic, and he has a hell of a lot of work to do. You're the guy that was caught speeding, take the assertive role.

"Evil" people are also people. Judges are just people doing their job.

Deleted
    Because if people let their emotions carry them away, you quite often get scenarios where someone will either jump to conclusions, make mistakes, or falsely judge someone and that's not what we want as a society. Also, harsh interrogations can and have at times broken people and made them confess to whatever they were accused for, even when it wasn't the case.

In fact, you could look at it as such that the fact that people are so calm, is out of a desire to see the bad guy punished and the good guy go free. Do it right the first time, do it calmly, objectively and with attention to detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    So what I wanna get out of this is why they are so relaxed and nice when they are dealing with people like this? Example videos coming.
    There are several reasons. First, judges are professionals and see shit every day that you only see in the News once or twice a week. They aren't shocked anymore. If they're experienced, they have detached themselves emotionally from the case, which is in fact why you're not a judge and they are, because that is their job while you can be outraged, which is alright.

The second reason is that no matter what they did, they still have some human rights. And if you don't treat them with respect and dignity, you're just making a farce out of the judical system, because you're not better than them. The point of being a judge is to bring justice to everyone. Mistreating or disrespecting an alleged criminal is not being just, it's being spiteful. Also, never forget that someone is considered innocent until he's proven guilty. As such, everyone has to be treated as an innocent. How'd you feel if the judge got in your face even if you didn't do it and are later found not guilty? These cases are not always clear from the get go.

- - - Updated - - -

Without pointing out your faults, which others have done already, I'm going to point out that he didn't let them "get off the hook left and right". A friend of mine is a judge and talks with me about these cases quite a lot and let me assure you that they'd like nothing better than getting money from each and every one of them. The problem, however, is that many people are in trouble financially. You can't take all their money, lest they end up on the street or get behind with loan payments or whatever. It's just not that simple. You're upset, because you had to pay. How about you're happy that you got the money to walk out of there with your dignity instead of standing up there in front of everyone and telling them how shit your life is and how much you fucked up. I'd rather be in your shoes and stand there as someone who owns up to his mistake and can walk out of thhere as a man, instead of a welfare case.

Oh, one last thing... the "obviously lying" part? See, a judge can't assume something "obvious". How'd you like it if the judge thought that you "obviously" speeded on purpose to fuck the police off and perhaps play a little GTA with the pedestrians while you're at it? Doesn't sound fair, does it?

As I practice law I have met a lot judges, advocates and district attorneys and I have to say that at the end of the day it is just a job. When the office used to take up big civil or criminal cases I was like WOW that's some cool stuff. Thing is, nowdays I get bored even in cases that attract publicity. Same drill different people.
    As far as judges go, assuming we are talking in general and not only referring to US system, they work hard and a lot of hours even in their homes and they are obliged to listen and read the same bollocks every day, thus becoming automatons. Being impartial is part of the job, but being calm when someone present in court misbehaves isn't. You just throw him out. At the end of the day routine takes over.
    Personally I kinda like US justice system procedure but laws sometimes are beyond comprehension for a European.

10+ Year Old Account
    Innocent until proven guilty is a thing, and it is what our Justice system is supposed to be about. If you are interrogating some guy in a room for 12 hours, he could technically get off if you don't give him some food/drink and let him use the bathroom.

Judges should be impartial. They are supposed to uphold the law, not be vindictive.
    Nice to see someone still understands this concept.

Professionalism demands objectivity and the absence of emotional behaviour while conducting your work.

Believe it or not, the majority of people working in the criminal justice system aren't barrel-assed cops looking for a fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    So what I wanna get out of this is why they are so relaxed and nice when they are dealing with people like this? Example videos coming.
    First: Judges have to be impartial. They need to be neutral as much as possible... And for the very most part they are..

Second: We have laws that are based on human rights. From there treatment like slaves, torture and anything along that line is outright illegal and could result in the criminal walking away free, just because of mistreatment..

Third: For all you do is falling for a misconception here... You forget the "off the records" events.
    You should go to court and sit in with some cases that allow the public to watch. There you will see judges losing it, even screaming off the top of their lungs, when they feel the court gets disrespected.
    You aren't present when cops have a suspect in custody, and "talk" to them for a little bit, just to find the suspect with black eyes the next day, and an file entry in the case files how the suspect slipped on the floor and hit his head on the cell bunk, door or something like that....

There's a HUGE difference between official treatment, and off the records treatment.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

At the end of the day, they're just a number in a case file to the judge. No point in getting worked up over routine.

No, it doesn't bother me. I don't want our justice system to be too influenced by emotions, it should be driven by facts first and foremost.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I won't bother with the two obvious points people have made, because they're obvious. You ought to know it, but being you, I suppose you figured to ask anyway.

I suppose being a jerk to a violent criminal with possibly violent (criminal) friends isn't quite what people with survival instincts ought to do. In situations where I have been threatened (or where I've felt threatened) I've always tried to be civil and even tad bit friendly towards the aggressor, because otherwise they might just get more aggressive. Just a thought.

That the job of the judge...... hes there to be impartial, hes not gona pick a side or torment people. You dont exactly become judge overnight and its not for everyone. You can also lose the status pretty quickly, but with how hard its to get there it weeds out most of the bad ones. Literally the better a judge does his work the less likely appeal will work. If we had a bunch of lose canon judges people would plea miss trials all the time. If theres only one branch of the justice system you can pick to be professional its judges and its better for all of us that they keep up the professional level.