Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Urgh. So is like 90% of playersbase STILL Empire? (also community seems very toxic)

Hello,
    so I was super interested in this game when it was originally released, but didn't buy it in the end, first because I was having great fun in WoW at that time, and second and most, from reading forums it seemed that majority of its playerbase went Empire, which is not the type of community I want to become a part of... (the "evil is cool" type of players)

Now, 2 years have passed, and if things continue as they are in WoW, ill be quitting that game for good, so now I am looking for a new MMO to sink my free time into, and I was thinking about giving SW:TOR a try.

I play in EU and speak English, so I looked at the official forums for the 3 servers we have, and my observations: 1)absolute majority of players STILL seems to play Empire, at least on their mains. 2) the community seems very toxic, it seems full of the "yolo swag you mirin bro" faggots that I absolutely despise, and who are in WoW mostly "contained" in the PvP forums and PvP community, so I can mostly avoid them, while on SW:TOR forums I found them in all sections.

Mind you, I haven't even installed the game yet, these observations are based purely on browsing the official forums today in the morning, and might be completely wrong :P

What do you guys think, thanks for any replies in advance.

Deleted
    Don't bother with the official forums, like with most games it's just filled with idiots. I have toons on both factions, and there are plenty of good guilds with good people in them, but wherever you go there will always be idiots, as with any game. The game is F2P, so you can at least give it a try before you bash it, and see what you make of it, you have nothing to lose.

Deleted
    Ingame at least I've met many a friendly player on The Red Eclipse. I can't tell you if it's better than other servers but apart from a handful of tossers, the majority are friendly and helpful from what I've seen.

Deleted
    yes the community is toxic, from someone who throws around homophobic insults. Ironic.

I got like 7/8 chars on each side and play frequently on both, republic and empire side. I haven't seen a big difference neither in language nor in numbers and since we've got no open pvp on pve servers anymore... it doesn't matter as much anymore as before when Illum was in use.

10+ Year Old Account
    On my server, its probably 3:1 in favor of the Empire as far as the PvP community. But I think the actual player base is about even when I look at the size of players on the Fleet. Maybe 1.5:1 in favor of the Empire.

The online community is very toxic, but there are also good posters. The more public the forums the worse it is. Class forums are pretty tame, but the General and PvP forums are just nutty. In game community is very different. Its not sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows...but its better (my server) than most other games I've played.

Quote Originally Posted by Xihuitl View Post
    yes the community is toxic, from someone who throws around homophobic insults. Ironic.
    LOL, +1 Rep if I could.

I am not online often enough, but Red Eclipse (EU) is generally very good. I only ever had 1 person raging at a noob in an FP, but otherwise people seem to at least respect each other regardless of side.

Yeah.

The community is pretty god awful. They are some of the most self destructive trolls I have ever encountered. Literally, opposed to anything that would make their game more palatable the to general public. It's like they want their favorite game to shut down rather then get better.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Yeah.

The community is pretty god awful. They are some of the most self destructive trolls I have ever encountered. Literally, opposed to anything that would make their game more palatable the to general public. It's like they want their favorite game to shut down rather then get better.
    SW fans seem to be one of the most hateful communities I have encountered. It never made sense to me. Instead of bonding from a mutual love of the universe then tear each other up from perceived differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheperd View Post
    SW fans seem to be one of the most hateful communities I have encountered. It never made sense to me. Instead of bonding from a mutual love of the universe then tear each other up from perceived differences.
    To be fair, it wasn't like that until the summer of 2012... When the content stopped.

On the citadel we had an amazing community full of starwars love and brotherhood. Before the dark times came. Before the servers started going out.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    Ah damn, sorry about that. I am not a native English speaker, I wasn't aware "faggot" is a homophobic slur. I was just looking for some random insult to express my hatred towards the "yoloswag u mad bro" generation, and didn't want to use the standard "retard" :P
    My apologies to any homosexual players, didn't mean any offence to you. /bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude...its HASHTAGswag. Gah, get your insults right man. YOLO you know.

; )

I have no idea what the actual ratio of players are on Ebon Hawk, but the Rep fleet is always full.
    All fan groups are like this, especially once they grow large. It's basic tribalism/identity politics.

Deleted
    I used to play on Red Eclipse at it was pleasant enough, although truth be told I used to mostly play alone. But once I started doing "dungeons" the groups I was in were very tolerant(Empire side), waiting for people, not getting mad even random teaming up for H4 content was good and sometimes you find a group of people and just blast through a whole planet together. This was 2012 though, haven't played since the Hutt Cartel came out

Quote Originally Posted by Horymir View Post
    it seems full of the "yolo swag you mirin bro" faggots that I absolutely despise
    Not cool, for one.

It also depends on the realm. My realm (Jedi Covenant) seems to be split fairly evenly, with the end-game PvP being dominated by Republic pre-mades.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

Quote Originally Posted by Sheperd View Post
    I think thats more the die hard bioware brand loyalty drones than star wars fans. Unfortunately star wars fans have to deal with them in this games case.

10+ Year Old Account
    the classes on empire side are more fun and i like their companions better too

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Horymir View Post
    "yolo swag you mirin bro"
    Reading that made me feel extremely old, I have absolutely NO idea what it means. At all. That's a little depressing

In terms of the game, you need to keep in mind that the worst sections of any community tend to be the ones who shout the loudest. As a result it's easy to assume they are the majority, especially if you are basing your view on the official forums. Give the game a shot, you don't have anything to lose but some time and bandwidth. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Deleted
    I've found the vast majority of people I've interacted with in game to be helpful and pleasant. Yep there are lots of loud mouth idiots spouting rubbish in general and I've run into the occasional idiot when grouping but not enough to affect the overall enjoyment of the game.
    I find the community a lot better than other MMOs I've played.

On the subject of faction balance, I've been playing mostly Rep over the last few months and have had no problems finding groups, I've not been PvPing a lot lately so I don't know about PvP queues, but up to a couple of months ago those seemed to be pretty balanced as well.

Quote Originally Posted by arcadius View Post
    Reading that made me feel extremely old, I have absolutely NO idea what it means. At all. That's a little depressing
    I've no clue what that means either but I'm quite pleased about that fact

Deleted
    Is faggot still seen as a homophobic insult, I thought we were passed that like 5 years ago. Where I live it's just a general used curse word like "Ahole" or wathever.

But thank you for making my day for being oversensitive and ignoring everything else the OP said.