Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Easiest method? Make characters played in offline mode ineligible for PvP and any other forms of competitive play in the future, or even prevent those characters from playing online in groups.
    Yeah, easy to say, impossible to do. When you go offline you can do EVERYTHING with the data, including the deletion of any flag that says that character was played offline.

So it would be like this:

Blizzard: Make characters played in offline mode ineligible for PvP and any other forms of competitive play in the future
    Hackers: Patch the game so that Blizzard would never know that a character was played offline

Companies have probably put billions of dollars in offline security systems and DRM and some other shit and they were all pretty much avoided. So no wonder they went online with this shit, the only thing I wonder is what took them so long. But even so, most software that require an internet activation are still cracked and patched.

So the logical conclusion for online play is indeed "do anything through our servers", in that way you can have much more control. Sure there are exploits from time to time, but "some dupes" is nowhere near "a fuckload of dupes and cheats" which happens offline

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why so many people have a problem with this. It is very rare for anyone on this forum or even who plays d3 not to have an internet connection.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    I don't see why so many people have a problem with this. It is very rare for anyone on this forum or even who plays d3 not to have an internet connection.
    Because people don't want (or can't) to invest in a good connection (note: good download bandwidth does not mean good connection)
    Also, because you can't cheat in online mode.

My stance on the subject is clear: offline mode = server code on the client = much easier to hack online. So no thanks.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    Yeah, easy to say, impossible to do. When you go offline you can do EVERYTHING with the data, including the deletion of any flag that says that character was played offline.
    Yes, because having Blizzard store online characters like they do now instead of player PC would be totally unimaginable.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Yes, because having Blizzard store online characters like they do now instead of player PC would be totally unimaginable.
    I was thinking the same thing. It would be fairly simple. Someone can do all manner of hacking and whatever they want on their offline character, b/c to the online server it literally doesn't exist. You can't just brute force your own data on a Blizzard server or else you are legit hacking and will be arrested by the FBI.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    I'll join you in that decision, as soon as I find one at a lower price. I can't justify myself paying $60 for a game I somewhat already own. That and it would be the first time I bought the same game twice for different platforms, it'll feel weird.
    I have bought the same game for different platforms but normally at way different price's.

Example: First BL2 I got on ps3 was like 40$ my PC one cost me 20$. So as long as its a lot chaper I don't mind but I get how you feel.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by tehdef View Post
    Dude, it's been a year and a half. Get over it. You need to learn how to be happy with what you DO HAVE, not with what you don't. They are making a ton of changes, and instead of commending them on those changes, and showing respect, you come in here and act as if nothing they did matters because of 1 feature that you imply is a personal affront to you. Stop.

Following that, please understand that if it's not always online, PEOPLE WILL CHEAT. End. Always online gives them greater control of the situation. The guys in their Battle.Net response team have an amazing amount of information available to them, and have done some amazing stuff across WoW/D3/SC2 to correct negative behaviour.

Sorry, but I don't want cheaters playing games with a competitive aspect at all. Period. End. I don't care if you bitch and moan about it all day and night (which many of you D2 kids have done). Always online is the way of the future, and it's one of the FEW ways to make sure people can't magically go offline and come online with stupid amounts of gear. Especially if they push forward with a PvP aspect. Yeah, no. Sorry. No cheating.
    Guess what? I'm perfectly content NOT BUYING their game until they make an offline only mode.

10+ Year Old Account
    il buy it and play it and hopefully the expansion will fix the issues i had with the game.
    Hi

I don't mind that the game is always online. I feel [opinion] that it's not that important to have an offline mode for the majority of Diablo players. Rarely did play offline in D2 and I fortunately do not live anywhere without internet access 24/7 year round.

Also I do believe the always online features of friend list, checkpoints and instant drop-in/drop-out MP are very much worth it. Path of Exile, also always online, takes up a lot of my gaming time these days. Yet I often wished that Path of Exile leveraged it's always online state as well as Diablo 3 does.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    1) What competitive aspect did D3 have? Oh wait, none.

So why is the AH an issue? Why does it need to be removed for you to not use it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    So why is the AH an issue? Why does it need to be removed for you to not use it?
    What are you talking about? This thread is about the always online DRM.
    BAD WOLF

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yep...I was very excited to see the AH going away, b/c now I can play in self found mode more appropriately. However I get very tired of the first 5 minutes being plagued with performance issues and the rubber banding that can happen to anyone. Having such a fast paced game where death could be permanent rely on buggy connection is horrible design.

I love Blizzard, but DRM is crap. It's one thing to have to update things for the good of the game, but quite another to be forced to be online the entire time you're playing it.
    What are you talking about? This thread is about the always online DRM.

I'm not the first person to mention that AH. Nice dodge of the question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    I'm not the first person to mention that AH. Nice dodge of the question.
    You quoted a post out of context, linked it to another post of mine in a long thread, and somehow you've won the internet? Congratulations.

Try reading the original post. Then read what led me to post the first thing you quoted. Then read what you just quoted as somehow proof of whatever you think you're talking about. You are literally making no sense. If this whole point has been to ask why I simply don't use the AH now, which means the quote you posted is completely irrelevant, then the answer is that the current drop rates and quality are based on the existence of the AH.

It has been explained in detail by Blizzard, admitting as much. Removing is part of their process of going to loot 2.0, which will be vastly more rewarding and actually feel appropriate. Have you been keeping up with any of this news or are you just randomly bumping the thread attempting to stir up a confrontation with me out of boredom?
    BAD WOLF