SATA2/3 Does a mechanical HD saturate the SATA 2 connection?

Slowly putting together a new pc.

Some of the old components that are coming over to save money include a WD Black 1tb. (and things like the power supply, case, etc. not the focus of this post).

I know that the HD is SATA2. What I'm wondering is if it saturates the connection anyway? Would a SATA3 version be quicker?

Guess I'm wondering how quickly and at what priority I should replace the HD.

Thanks in advance.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, a mechanical drive will not saturate a SATA 2 connection
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    No, a mechanical drive will not saturate a SATA 2 connection
    To elaborate further with some data:

SATA 2 has a maximum speed of 300 MByte/sec
    SATA 3 has a maximum speed of 600 MByte/sec

Speeds for mechanical hard drives are roughly the following:
    - Peak R/W performance for non-fragmented data in the outer sectors of a platter: up to 150 MByte/sec
    - Sustainable R/W performance for non-fragmented data: around 100 MByte/sec
    - real life sustained speed for lightly fragmented data: 50-80 MByte/sec
    - real life speed for average daily use: anywhere between 5 and 50 MByte/sec

Even if your SATA interface would be capped at 100 MByte/sec, you would not notice the difference with a mechanical hard drive.
    Opposed to modern SATA-3 SSDs, which can usually reach speeds above 500 MByte/sec. But even then you would barely notice the difference to SATA-2.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    Even if your SATA interface would be capped at 100 MByte/sec, you would not notice the difference with a mechanical hard drive.
    Opposed to modern SATA-3 SSDs, which can usually reach speeds above 500 MByte/sec. But even then you would barely notice the difference to SATA-2.
    You would on some HDDs. Single platter caviar blues have ~130MB/s read/write speeds. Not even close to saturating sata 2 though.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    To elaborate further with some data:
    And TL;DR version of the above: no current mechanical HDD on the market can cap even SATA1 speed, so it doesn't matter one bit if you use SATA2 or SATA3 (or even SATA1) with those. SSDs are different matter entirely, and are very close to capping even SATA3 connectors.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    You would on some HDDs. Single platter caviar blues have ~130MB/s read/write speeds. Not even close to saturating sata 2 though.
    No. Only in empty disc it can reach that kind of speeds. On a full and slightly fragmented disc (in real world use) the speed drops to 70-90MB/s.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.