Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Dire Beast vs. Thrill of the Hunt

I've started seeing many high end hunters using Thrill of the Hunt as opposed to the more popular Dire Beast.

Is this due to the recent AS buff along with hunter t16 2 piece?

Also noticed that the majority of people who run this build are going crit heavy. Could anyone shed some light on this? I simmed myself and it was about a 6k decrease, going from DB to TotH. However I simm others who are using this build and they gain something crazy like 9k going from DB to TotH.

Thanks.

Deleted
    Because AS now costs 10 focus during toth, it's still "COSTS FOCUS" so you can refresh your 3 stacks while arcane dumping.

I'm seeing 70-90% uptime on might fights with both specs, it's amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Dela2k10 View Post
    I'm seeing 70-90% uptime on might fights with both specs, it's amazing
    ... I must try that out. Anyone remember the Cataclysm Beta, when Arcane Shot at some point cost something like 5 focus? Arcane Machinegun, more like!
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

With 2 pc tiers, you will love how fast rapid fire reset after using alot as :3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirstblood View Post
    With 2 pc tiers, you will love how fast rapid fire reset after using alot as :3
    30% Rapid Fire uptime is standard for me now

10+ Year Old Account
    Hoooooly cow. I KNEW about the increased focus cost of AS and KNEW that if a shot/ability cost focus it could trigger TotH, but my brain did NOT link this info for me.

Thank you for this thread!

Wondering how long it will be before Blizzard realizes this as well? Going to try it out on tonight's raid!

Also, I have also read a lot of information saying stat priority is/will be something like Crit>=Haste>Mastery, though I personally am still seeing higher dps/dmg numbers with Haste heavy reforging/gemming/enchanting with my gear. *shrugs* Just keep testing and simming for yourself, I'd say.

10+ Year Old Account
    The change on AS to increased focus cost was intentional to make Hunter dps rely more on 'skill', according to Blizzard.
    If I spam too many AS's I forget to refresh serpent so I suppose this change does take into account your 'skill' in keeping up with everything to maximize your DPS.
    I played hunter most in TBC, I keep finding myself spamming too many cobras since that was all you did in TBC raid D:
    PM me weird stuff :3

15+ Year Old Account
    Which spec are you talking about? TotH may make sense as BM since you have one signature spell less then MM and SV. As SV for example Dire Beast or Fervor will be superior due to the fact that you cannot spam AS as much.

Just because something sims better, does not always make it better in all situations

Tried ToTH for 2days and it would rarely proc, will try again with 2set.

Im almost getting rapid fire on 45 sec cd because for every BW is up.

i know this probably sound bad for some of you but with all the crap going on and all the cds going to insane short CDs im tempted to macro Rapid fire with arcane shot and cobra shot.

it dosnt seem like a waste at the start either with stampede because by the time you are out of BW if your trinkets are procking the 1st 3 sec of the fight you still have solid 5 sec to cast at least 1 cobra shot to refresh the 1st srs that you aply at the start and have enough focus to cast the next KC.

im using thrill of the hunt off course.

before you try this tho i recomend around 1-2 hours of dummy practice if you didnt on ptr because TOTH will make you tunnel arcane shot a lot and then you wont have enough focus to kill command that should be used on CD with no delay. after you get used to it is pretty damn nice tbh. just dont tunnel arcane shot and always stay above at least 30 focus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BergErr View Post
    Tried ToTH for 2days and it would rarely proc, will try again with 2set.
    You must have had supremely bad luck, TotH has about an 80% uptime for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    82% for me so it was up pretty much the whole fight
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=7190&e=7589

While not being the best, I've played with TotH all expansion, I've tried doing DB, but it goes nowhere as near. So I must say that it feels good now that TotH is used by more

15+ Year Old Account
    With 2 set and as BM TotH is defo the way to go .
    I'm doing it myself and I must say - I'm pleased with results. Also running Crit>haste>mastery build.

For survival I still prefer Fervor , since I'm playing that spec only on certain encounters where on demand focus increase is rather useful (Shaman's adds for example) .
    Serbian <MYST> , Draenor EU

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Ok, will keep trying it.
    I had like 2-3 procs/min before I scrapped it and went with someting less random =D

Quote Originally Posted by Perrito View Post
    82% for me so it was up pretty much the whole fight
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=7190&e=7589
    Damn that trinket, 9 BWs in 6min38sec :d

Quote Originally Posted by BergErr View Post
    Damn that trinket, 9 BWs in 6min38sec :d
    im still not managing my cds properlly, i def need to add rapid fire into arcane shot and/or cobra shot because once you have that trinket and 2pc the rotation is really spammy, gcd caped to be honest and you dont even need to cast a lot of cobra shots to rest your fingers a bit.

Deleted
    i just try it today and just wow), TotH proc all the time, even as Bm my nr1 ability was AS impressive as hell so far, if the talent suppose to be like this i will stick TotH

Quote Originally Posted by Arks View Post
    i just try it today and just wow), TotH proc all the time, even as Bm my nr1 ability was AS impressive as hell so far, if the talent suppose to be like this i will stick TotH
    Arcane shot shouldn't be your number 1 damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Megabloks View Post
    Arcane shot shouldn't be your number 1 damage.
    Auto shot #1, AS #2?

So its his top skill (atleast if u check WoL/recount, though skada will list pet under dmg).