resto druid gemming question

hello:

after reaching a comfortable level of spirit in gear, what should i gem for? pure int, pure mastery, or int/mastery?

thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by esued View Post
    hello:

after reaching a comfortable level of spirit in gear, what should i gem for? pure int, pure mastery, or int/mastery?

thanks in advance
    Armory? Raid size?

Hard to tell without knowing what your gear is.

General rule though is Int in Red, Int/Mastery in Yellow, and try to avoid blue sockets unless the socket bonus is really good.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I run with about 13k spirit with double regen trinkets, while on some fights this is a bit overkill, there are some heavier damage fights that I feel it's needed, particularly with genesis now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    Hard to tell without knowing what your gear is.

General rule though is Int in Red, Int/Mastery in Yellow, and try to avoid blue sockets unless the socket bonus is really good.
    Actually because our secondary stats get 2x the value of intellect on gems, if you want to gem for throughput it should be mastery/haste>int>spirit priority, while generally meeting the socket bonuses because you can always reforge out of some spirit if you need to.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adynn View Post
    Actually because our secondary stats get 2x the value of intellect on gems, if you want to gem for throughput it should be mastery/haste>int>spirit priority, while generally meeting the socket bonuses because you can always reforge out of some spirit if you need to.
    It really depends on current gear levels, the breaking point for gemming mastery instead of int seems to be around ilvl 520ish

Personally I run with about 13k spirit with double regen trinkets, while on some fights this is a bit overkill, there are some heavier damage fights that I feel it's needed, particularly with genesis now.
    If you need to stack more spirit (and thus less mastery/crit) to be able to afford to cast Genesis, you should seriously consider relying on it less. It's the age-old spirit stacking trap: the more spirit you get the less throughput stats you have and the less your spells heal for, forcing you to cast more of them and expend more mana, which in turn forces you to stack even more spirit at the cost of even more throughput stats, and so on.

Actually because our secondary stats get 2x the value of intellect on gems, if you want to gem for throughput it should be mastery/haste>int>spirit priority...
    That's going to depend on your item level and other stats. Mastery gets better the more intellect you have and intellect gets better the more mastery you have. There is no single solution to getting more throughput.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

If you have at least a gear score of 496 or above (that's a safe ball park figure), 2 mastery will yield more healing output than 1 intellect.
    So for gems go Red:Int/Mastery, Yellow: Mastery, Blue: Mastery/Spirit

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiyra View Post
    If you have at least a gear score of 496 or above (that's a safe ball park figure), 2 mastery will yield more healing output than 1 intellect.
    So for gems go Red:Int/Mastery, Yellow: Mastery, Blue: Mastery/Spirit
    What are you using to say 496? I've been using this one because I like the multi-class functionality (I don't have a proper excel install and OO sucks) and it doesn't say 2 mastery = 1 int until ilvl 510 which would still be too early to gem pure mastery because that would just make int overtake it again.

I don't know how accurate that HealCalc is, TreeCalc is a great one specifically for resto druid (if its still up to date, which i think it is).
    Me saying 496 was just a rough guesstimate for the sake of brevity.

Hamlet at EJ did the full math and condensed it down to a simplified formula of spellpower versus mastery when fully raid buffed. TotalSP = 22605 + 0.5843*mastery
    If your total spell power when fully buffed was larger than 22605+ (0.5843*mastery rating), then 2 mastery was better then 1 int gem wise. If it was less, then you would gem int over mastery.

For most people their total spellpower was surpassing that mastery rating value somewhere between ToES and ToT (if not sooner with heroic gear) - thats why i just said i lvl 496 as a quick estimate number. For just about any resto druid in ToT gear or better, 2 mastery>1int in terms of just healing output. As always if you want to be extra sure, i'd say plug your specific character stats into tree calcs and see what it says.

It should be noted that spell breakdown varies a lot by fight, and so the relative value of stats will vary depending on the fight. For example, haste is worth more if the raid is stacked (Efflorescence).

Quote Originally Posted by Keiyra View Post
    Hamlet at EJ did the full math and condensed it down to a simplified formula of spellpower versus mastery when fully raid buffed. TotalSP = 22605 + 0.5843*mastery
    If your total spell power when fully buffed was larger than 22605+ (0.5843*mastery rating), then 2 mastery was better then 1 int gem wise. If it was less, then you would gem int over mastery.
    That's very simplified. While mastery becomes more valuable the more intellect you have, the reverse is also true. The more mastery you gem for, the more valuable int becomes. More realistically, there's going to be some balance you want to aim for. Whether you want to gem for mastery or int will depend on how many items with mastery you have, as the value of mastery also scales with crit.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    That's very simplified. While mastery becomes more valuable the more intellect you have, the reverse is also true. The more mastery you gem for, the more valuable int becomes. More realistically, there's going to be some balance you want to aim for. Whether you want to gem for mastery or int will depend on how many items with mastery you have, as the value of mastery also scales with crit.
    I said it was the simplified condensed version. If you want the full on heavy math version that takes into account everything you are talking about (varying spellpower coefficients of spells, the relativistic value of both int, crit, mastery etc) - it can all be found in the EJ thread. Or as i suggested to the other poster - plug your own stats into Treecalcs and see what the specific values are for your current gear and spell usage.

Point is for the vast majority of players, the above formula holds true. Everything you are quibbling over was already taken into account and considered, or can be more thoroughly addressed with Treecalcs.
    Last edited by Keiyra; 2013-09-20 at 07:08 PM.

I guess is worth to mention that if u use often the HoTW burst or DoC, Int then is better because it gives some dps increase.

I'm lazy and with something more then 542 ilevel i just go straight mastery.