Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northwest USA
    Posts
    2,708

    HTC One vs. LG G2 vs. Iphone5s

    ok it's time for a new phone.. I'm in the USA and most likely will use Verizon as my carrier (AT&T if someone can make a super awesome case for them)

    but anyway.. my real issue is making up my mind on which phone to stick myself with for the next 2 years..

    Iphone5S - $199
    Lg G2 - $149
    HTC One - $79

    I'm leaning more toward the two android phones currently as there are other costs associated with the Iphone that I would prefer to avoid however it's also hands down the superior phone.. but is the difference in performance between the LG and HTC enough to justify the price difference?
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

  2. #2
    do you have a ton of money invested in either ecosystem?

    do you care if you're limited, or do you like tinkering with your phone?

    are you interested in rooting and ROMing?

    are you opposed to iOS or Android (or win phone)?

    if you're largely ambivalent to the above questions, you're not going to make a mistake regardless of which one you choose. if you're looking to root/rom, pick android and don't go with verizon, if you've got money sunk in iOS and don't want to lose it, your choice is made. if you like flexibility, but don't care for root/roms, android on verizon is the better choice. the only realistic difference between the One and the G2 is Sense, HTC's UI. play with them in the store, see which one you like best.

  3. #3
    Immortal apepi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mostly harmless
    Posts
    7,776
    What are you going to do on your phone?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

  4. #4
    Mechagnome WskyDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    20 Miles to Texas, 25 to Hell
    Posts
    627
    From a pure hardware standpoint the 5S (fuck the 5c) crushes just about everything out there.

  5. #5
    Dreadlord Ripox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
    Posts
    811
    5S all the way
    Gaming Rig: CPU: i7-3770k @ 4.5Ghz | CPU Cooler: H100i | Motherboard: GA-Z77X-D3H | RAM: 2x4GB 1600MHz |GPU: GTX 780 | PSU: Corsair TX750M | Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker | SSD1 (Boot drive): 120GB Kingston | SSD2: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO | HDD: 1TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda | Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Black) | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Audio: Razer Tiamat 7.1 | Monitor: LG IPS234 (1920x1080)

  6. #6
    The Lightbringer CheezusCrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nuuk, Greenland
    Posts
    3,162
    I'd vouch for the G2

    If you're getting the 5S, might aswell get the regular 5 instead, near-same experience

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by CheezusCrust View Post
    I'd vouch for the G2

    If you're getting the 5S, might aswell get the regular 5 instead, near-same experience
    The 5c is more or less the same as the 5, except with a plastic body. The 5S did upgrade the processor and the camera quite a bit.

  8. #8
    G2 all the way. Unless you allready invested in apps and such.
    The galaxy s4 is still a very solid choice.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    The 5c is more or less the same as the 5, except with a plastic body. The 5S did upgrade the processor and the camera quite a bit.
    Quite a bit in a similar manner that Intel updates their processors 'quite a bit' every year. The new iPhone is yet again 1-2 years behind most other flagship phones in terms of capabilities, utility and real estate. I'm not really sure what specs you are looking at, but the camera and processor are 'mid range' when compared to other market leaders, though I will admit that camera megapixel shenanigans are a cheap and weak benchmark. Why isn't there a 4.5" screen? Why must it still use its own proprietary connection? Why is it still using the same storage scheme it has for the last 5 years? I'm not suggesting that the next iphone have a 5 or 5.5" screen or anything, but the Moto X alone blows away the iPhone specs, and that was panned as a 'mid ranged flagship' phone when it came out.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Hothgor View Post
    Quite a bit in a similar manner that Intel updates their processors 'quite a bit' every year. The new iPhone is yet again 1-2 years behind most other flagship phones in terms of capabilities, utility and real estate. I'm not really sure what specs you are looking at, but the camera and processor are 'mid range' when compared to other market leaders, though I will admit that camera megapixel shenanigans are a cheap and weak benchmark. Why isn't there a 4.5" screen? Why must it still use its own proprietary connection? Why is it still using the same storage scheme it has for the last 5 years? I'm not suggesting that the next iphone have a 5 or 5.5" screen or anything, but the Moto X alone blows away the iPhone specs, and that was panned as a 'mid ranged flagship' phone when it came out.
    What specs are YOU looking at? Here's the benchmarks from anandtech. Blows Moto X out of the water

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/t...ne-5s-review/5

  11. #11
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    66
    i love my HTC One, honestly best phone ive had.

  12. #12
    Fluffy Kitten Badpaladin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    ccaarrrrllllll
    Posts
    11,102
    The storage business is ridiculous for the iPhone in 2013, but everything is done in the cloud now anyways. iPhone 5S looks like a really neat device if you can handle animations everywhere. Spec-for-spec it's better than anything else but let's get real, if you're buying a smartphone for the Ghz on its processor you're a little misguided.
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

  13. #13
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northwest USA
    Posts
    2,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssith View Post
    do you have a ton of money invested in either ecosystem?

    do you care if you're limited, or do you like tinkering with your phone?

    are you interested in rooting and ROMing?

    are you opposed to iOS or Android (or win phone)?

    if you're largely ambivalent to the above questions, you're not going to make a mistake regardless of which one you choose. if you're looking to root/rom, pick android and don't go with verizon, if you've got money sunk in iOS and don't want to lose it, your choice is made. if you like flexibility, but don't care for root/roms, android on verizon is the better choice. the only realistic difference between the One and the G2 is Sense, HTC's UI. play with them in the store, see which one you like best.
    right now I have no ties to anything.. I'm currently using an ancient HTC Evo 4g (not the LTE version) with a broken power button.. I'm curious about ROM'ing though.. and how does the carrier affect it?
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

  14. #14
    I am Murloc! Korgoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Barbaria
    Posts
    5,194
    The HTC One is already 6 months old. I'd get the iPhone 5s on T-Mobile, then in 6 months when the HTC Two is out get it, then when the iPhone 6 is out get it...

    Their Jump plan, 6 month switch, + phone payment + monthly service is about the same monthly cost as Verizon.
    You, you'll regret what you have done this day, I will make you regret ever being born, you're going to wish you never left your mother's womb, where it was warm and safe and wet, I am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainbow!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ep65rr-9qjQ Full Pilot Episode! Best thing to come out of Adult Swim!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    From a pure hardware standpoint the 5S (fuck the 5c) crushes just about everything out there.
    The A7 might in some cases keep up with a Snapdragon 800 cause it is optimised to run on iOS, but it's nowhere near close to crushing it.

    If you put Android on an iPhone it would run like crap, part of the reason is that iOS has been the same OS for years now and it's a closed environment so it only has to cater to 1 device setup, also iPhone hardware gets make specifically to cater to the iOS environment, hence why iOS always seems to run ''smooth''.

    @Threadstarter, I would hang on another good 5 weeks and get the New Nexus 5.

    Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 @ 2.3Ghz
    4.92 /5 inch Full HD IPS screen
    2 or 3GB RAM
    16/32GB
    4G LTE
    13MP camera with LG stabilizing software
    Vanilla Android 4.4/5.0 Kitkat software ( first smartphone on the new Android version )

    Most specs are rumoured but leaked pics have surfaced which confirms the screen size and OS update, and seeing how it's based on the LG G2 it probably has the same hardware aswell.

    So it looks like the LG G2, it has top notch hardware , a brand spanking new Android version and it will be sold cheap as chips ( for the hardware you get ) in the Play store or on contract somewhere no doubt.

    Nexus 4 had specs like the HTC one X and Galaxy S3 and in the UK a 8gb version was 239 GBP and the 16gb version 289 GBP ( the galaxy S3 was almost 500 GBP )

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by FluFF View Post
    Nexus 4 had specs like the HTC one X and Galaxy S3 and in the UK a 8gb version was 239 GBP and the 16gb version 289 GBP ( the galaxy S3 was almost 500 GBP )
    Nexus 4 is 3G where as the One X and Galaxy S3 are both 4G. 4G technology costs big bucks.

    For the average user: AMOLED > IPS. Color accuracy isn't as important as battery life for the average user, especially since most people turn down the brightness anyways.

    Nexus 5, like the Nexus 4, is half a year late which is ages in the fast moving smartphone market.
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-09-21 at 05:32 AM.

  17. #17
    I just got an HTC One (like, 3 hours ago lol) and so far I've been really happy with it. I love the hard metal body, the large screen. I just flashed it over to the Google Play Edition, too. I can't vouch for the battery life as it's been plugged in since I got home lol. But it was $50 cheaper than the S4 and almost $100 than the S5, so I can't complain :-) I also really like that the speakers are on the FRONT, whereas my last phone had them on the back, that was super annoying!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Nexus 4 is 3G where as the One X and Galaxy S3 are both 4G. 4G technology costs big bucks.

    For the average user: AMOLED > IPS. Color accuracy isn't as important as battery life for the average user, especially since most people turn down the brightness anyways.

    Nexus 5, like the Nexus 4, is half a year late which is ages in the fast moving smartphone market.
    WTF u on about mate , neither the Galaxy S3 or One X have 4G LTE support they are phones from early 2012, there is a special Galaxy S3 LTE model but that's a special snowflake and rare to find, so the Nexus was on par with both devices at the time.

    And how the hell is a smartphone with a Snapdragon 800, 2gb ram, 13 MP camera , 2GB of ram and a 5 inch full 1080p screen a ''half year late'' if it gets released next month / November ?
    Atm every high end model has a 1080p screen and Snapdragon 600/800, you expect Google to create a 1444p smartphone screen by next month ?

    On the note of AMOLED vs IPS it's a personal touch, I prefer the screen in the HTC One or the LG G2 over that in the Galaxy S4, if someone else doesn't that's fine but it's the same discussion as TN vs IPS pc monitors and you can't call one bad and one good.

  19. #19
    The Lightbringer Toffie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,750
    I have the HTC One and i'm extremely happy by it, loads everything instantly and feels very smooth.
    The best thing about it is the Java Flash Player built in which allows me to stream anime / sports ^^
    Steam Big Picture Mode - 4570 - GA-H87N - MSI R9-290 - 120 GB Samsung 840 EVO
    Corsair 250D - Philips 55 LED TV - Corsair RM 550 - Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB

    4770K - EVGA 780 Ti SC- Corsair 350D - V700 - Gryphon Z87
    Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB - Samsung 840 250GB - H60

  20. #20
    MotoX for sure..., or wait for Nexus 5 (it's the G2 but with direct support from google)

    edit: don't get the 5s, it's overpriced

    edit2: yeah, the motoX it is overpriced as well, but you're buying the best possible user experience in a smartphone today, with the 5s you're just buying a brand (i already know three people who changed from the S4 to the MotoX and have not looked back, they are thrilled.
    Last edited by Alantor; 2013-09-21 at 02:57 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •