Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Not really, not that I would jump from a boat 20km off shore

Quote Originally Posted by CptMitta View Post
    I find it rly hard to agree with that picture, saying that only 10% of the ocean has been mapped. With todays technologies for mapping, quite sure most of the ocean floor has been mapped.

About the topic, not rly scared of the ocean, since i was born near the sea and spent my entiere life near the sea, so kinda used to it and having nothing but black beneath me while swimming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by calculating View Post
    I am an excellent swimmer and am afraid of going into the deep deep blue. It only seems harmless when you see the aerial shots in movies. Once you get down there and can't see past a foot of water and you can't touch the bottom... it's insanely scary since anything can just chomp you

"HOLY FUCK! BACK IN THE BOAT BACK IN THE BOAT NEVER LEAVE THE BOAT AGAIN BACK IN THE BOAT"

or something like that

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Itakas View Post
    I find it rly hard to agree with that picture, saying that only 10% of the ocean has been mapped. With todays technologies for mapping, quite sure most of the ocean floor has been mapped.

About the topic, not rly scared of the ocean, since i was born near the sea and spent my entiere life near the sea, so kinda used to it and having nothing but black beneath me while swimming.
    You fool! Can you not SEE!?

Quote Originally Posted by CptMitta View Post
    http://imgur.com/TzzFO
    I'a! I'a! Cthulhu fhtagn!

The fact that the ocean is a huge open body of water hasn't ever scared me in principle, but I was afraid of diving for a longest time until I actually decided to just put an end to it and face my fears and jump into the deep end, so to speak.

I went to Belize to dive the Great Blue Hole - something that my friends told me is suicidal and ill advised with 0 diving experience.

It was a marvelous experience. It may have been nitrogen narcosis in part, but I found it completely mindbogglingly awe-inspiring to swim up to the edge of this huge sinkhole and just descend into the twilight darkness below. We didn't go super far down, but we did go to the edge of the recommended diving depth for recreational divers (150 feet) and swam along huge stalactite formations (~20 feet long). It was kind of what I imagined the antechamber to R'lyeh to look like.

That dive was definitely a game-changing experience for me. Not only did I dive to the limit of rec depth, but I also saw a few reef sharks circling our group just at the edge of our line of sight, and it was a humbling experience to see these fish in their natural habitat. The effortless glide of their huge bodies through water was a hauntingly beautiful sight.

Before, I was somewhat ambivalent about being out in the ocean, but now I am eagerly pining for opportunities to go back under. Norway has a few companies that are offering "killer whale dives" - where boat captains take you out to feeding grounds for orcas, where they congregate in vast masses every winter and offer you an opportunity to dive in and see the animals live in the wild, so that's something I am keeping on my radar now.

I'm scared of what might be in it. The giant eel from super mario frightened me when I was a kid, a lot of video games with aggressive sea animals plagued me when I was little. Playing through Vashj'ir in cata renewed that fear.

Movies like Jaws or Deep Rising had no real effect, it was always the video games.