Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    If price isnt a concern go ahead otherwise if you get what you need through other sources of protein you wont notice a difference. I've been lifting for over a year or so and even a 190g of protein isn't a lot. A few whole eggs/egg whites, beans, bread nut butter, and a 3 lb bag of chicken is easily doable. A 3lb bag of chicken alone would probably be overkill for you. If you don't have an appetite you're not training hard enough.

Deleted
    3 lb of chicken is really cheaper than guzzling down protein shakes? Can we switch countries please

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deldavala View Post
    Ketogenic diet is not the same as a balanced diet with fairly high protein. Ketogenic diet consists of less than 40(?) grams of carbs, average protein and high fats. A balanced diet can still have more than 100g of carbs and is usally lower on the fat.

Also the reason for many of the problems on the ketogenic diet is the lack of carbs. This makes you shed water and with the water also comes vitamins, minerals and such. This will stabilize over time as long as you are actually getting proper amount of vitamins and minerals.

- - - Updated - - -
    I'm sorry, did you just start argueing my points for me? I've only ever suggested getting your needed protein as a balanced diet, with sups as necessary if you really need to.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihuitl View Post
    I'm sorry, did you just start argueing my points for me? I've only ever suggested getting your needed protein as a balanced diet, with sups as necessary if you really need to.
    Well from your post you basicly said that anything over 0.9g pr lbs was wasted and could be dangerous. As long as you have a balanced diet its not an issue if you have 2g pr lbs or more. Its just about a combination of macro nutrients, and if you find proteins more tasty or easier consume you should pursue that.

Deleted
    Well from your post you basicly said that anything over 0.9g pr lbs was wasted and could be dangerous. As long as you have a balanced diet its not an issue if you have 2g pr lbs or more. Its just about a combination of macro nutrients, and if you find proteins more tasty or easier consume you should pursue that.
    dangerous? nope.
    0.6-0.9g is the recommended level you should take per lb.
    Going over that is not a problem, unless its prolonged and a large increase. And despite what people here say, has no benefit to your strength gains and can have side effects. Is it a massive risk? not really.
    Problem is that people seam to take anything that says that just popping loads of protein shakes is pointless as being something they need to attack. Personally I think thats really not rational.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihuitl View Post
    dangerous? nope.
    0.6-0.9g is the recommended level you should take per lb.
    Going over that is not a problem, unless its prolonged and a large increase. And despite what people here say, has no benefit to your strength gains and can have side effects. Is it a massive risk? not really.
    Problem is that people seam to take anything that says that just popping loads of protein shakes is pointless as being something they need to attack. Personally I think thats really not rational.
    Well then we are agreeing. I actually reacted on your post due to a lot of the posts here are uninformed. You where just putting it down abit more strict than my suggestion, and I am sorry for my reaction.

I also agree with you that there is only a selected few people on this planet that need to chug 5 shakes a day. But using it as a supplement in a non controllable low protein diet is recommended. Most households nowdays have too much carbs in their diet and is lacking a lot of protein. There is not uncommon to see a 50-15-35 (carbs/prot/fat) distrobution if you look at the average western family.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWilson View Post
    If you want a shrinked penis: Yes
    Otherwise: No
    Protein powder has no effect on penis size don't be stupid. If anything by toning up it can give the illusion of a larger size.
    I would recommend it. For the average person sitting at a desk all day no, but when your active and in sports most people cant get enough protein from their diet alone. Also besides paying the money for it theres absolutely no negatives to it.

Deleted
    Well then we are agreeing. I actually reacted on your post due to a lot of the posts here are uninformed. You where just putting it down abit more strict than my suggestion, and I am sorry for my reaction.

I also agree with you that there is only a selected few people on this planet that need to chug 5 shakes a day. But using it as a supplement in a non controllable low protein diet is recommended. Most households nowdays have too much carbs in their diet and is lacking a lot of protein. There is not uncommon to see a 50-15-35 (carbs/prot/fat) distrobution if you look at the average western family.
    Thats fine, I sometimes forget that you need to be more careful in how you put things across on forum posts. I was not trying to be overly dramatic, but just highlight that there may be issues. Not massive ones, but still, people should be aware and make their own choice.

I've recently cut my carbs down a lot and not had too many issues getting enough protein, and not breaking the bank either. But then whilst I lift I'm not hardcore at it!, and I do appreciate that people have different circumstances. But I think sups should be sups, and used to plug gaps rather than a primary source.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm starting to think about using whey (I'm trying to lose fat, so I can't - or I don't know how to - keep a high protein diet with low calories), but I have some questions. I don't think it is worth to open a new thread, so I'll ask here:

a) I always read that you should take whey twice a day: when you wake up, and after your lifting training. I have to go to the gym very early (7 am) because of my schedule, so I wonder if it is ok to take 2 shots of whey so close to each other (I woke up at 6 AM and I return from the gym at 8h30 AM), or should I take something else? (I read a little about albumine, but I don't know much about these stuff...)

b) Should I take those 2 shots even the days I don't do exercises? If so, when should I take the second shot?

I tried to find a nutricionist about these questions, but it seems to have no doctors where I live...

Thanks in advance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    I'm starting to think about using whey (I'm trying to lose fat, so I can't - or I don't know how to - keep a high protein diet with low calories), but I have some questions. I don't think it is worth to open a new thread, so I'll ask here:

a) I always read that you should take whey twice a day: when you wake up, and after your lifting training. I have to go to the gym very early (7 am) because of my schedule, so I wonder if it is ok to take 2 shots of whey so close to each other (I woke up at 6 AM and I return from the gym at 8h30 AM), or should I take something else? (I read a little about albumine, but I don't know much about these stuff...)

b) Should I take those 2 shots even the days I don't do exercises? If so, when should I take the second shot?

I tried to find a nutricionist about these questions, but it seems to have no doctors where I live...

Thanks in advance.
    a) You don't need a protein shake when you wake up. Take one after you work out and ignore the morning shake.
    b) No, only drink protein shakes if you work out or you know that your daily protein consumption is low.

15+ Year Old Account

Thanks in advance.
    You dont need to take a certain amount of shakes. You take whatever you need to fill your other holes in the diet. A regular shake is somewhere between 35-50g of protein per shake and if your diet is lacking a lot of protein several shakes a day might be needed.

You should keep your protein intake consistent each day, meaning that you consume about the same amount each day.

What is your height, weight, age? If you provide that info+your workout plan I could go into more depth of you macro nutrientents and your needed calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    a) You don't need a protein shake when you wake up. Take one after you work out and ignore the morning shake.
    b) No, only drink protein shakes if you work out or you know that your daily protein consumption is low.
    For advanced athletes, particularly body-builders for whom hypertrophy is such a significant goal, taking a protein shake first thing when they wake up is one of most common things they do to min-max their results.

You can take protein shakes whenever you want. You need to meet a certain protein requirement even on off-days, and using shakes to meet this requirement is something that's very commonly done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the fast answers.

What is your height, weight, age? If you provide that info+your workout plan I could go into more depth of you macro nutrientents and your needed calories.
    I'm 27 years old, 1.84 m height and I weight 82~83 kg. I go to the gym twice a week (10 min bike, then lifting, then 20 min bike) and I do Pilates twice a week.
    Last edited by Hraklea; 2013-09-30 at 04:00 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the fast answers.

I'm 27 years old, 1.84 m height and I weight 82~83 kg. I go to the gym twice a week (10 min bike, then lifting, then 20 min bike) and I do Pilates twice a week.
    Well if you want to cut I would recommend around 2000 calories a day. This should be minimum 160g of protein, 80g of fat and the rest of the calories you fill up with carbs.

You can do this in 2 ways. Either you have 2000 calories every day=14.000 calories a week

You can also have more calories on the workout days, but less on all others. 2500 calories on workout days(2 lifting days)= 5000calories, 5 days with 1800calories(5 non lifting days)= 9000 calories. Total 14.000 Calories a week. If you use this method you still need to have the required protein and fat on the non lift days, meaning less carbs.

As Velaniz said it has little to no effect when you consume your protein. Atleast for a person that is just starting out. The things about eating protein right after a workout has at most less than 5% total effect, and that is on people that are in really good shape and have been working out for almost a decade.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Crusader Absalom View Post
    Since you're aiming to bulk, get all your protein from food and just eat and eat and lift and rest. Just remember no amount of protein will do you any good if you're still eating at a deficit. Eat at a surplus.
    10-20% over maintenance minimizes fat gains, aka clean bulk.
    Dirty bulk = eating whatever the phuck u want and not caring about fat gains.
    Just still remember to track protein at least. Shoot for 1g per pound of bodyweight and lift heavy at least 3x a week.
    Nothing wrong with a dirty bulk, as long as you def after

10+ Year Old Account
    Well if you want to cut I would recommend around 2000 calories a day. [...] The things about eating protein right after a workout has at most less than 5% total effect, and that is on people that are in really good shape and have been working out for almost a decade.
    Nice to know. Thanks for the help.

Deleted
    There are alot of people trained and educated in nutrition and diets.
    I really really -REALLY- advice you to set up a meeting and talk to one. It might help you with more than just your protein intake.