Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why social networking is so poor in WoW ?

Is something that I dont understand.
    In a game that gravitates around guilds and connecting people, why all we have is a crappy chatbox and a dull noninteractive guild page ?

What changes do you think would make your experience more interactive?

In my opinion, the WoW community is inherently antisocial. No amount of chat infrastructure will change that.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Add-ons.

Use 'em.

Love 'em.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post

In my opinion, the WoW community is inherently antisocial. No amount of chat infrastructure will change that.
    The fact of the matter is, Any competetive medium like WoW will create for too much pride and snobbery. Hence, there is a perpetual cycle of keeping to ourselves in fear of not being accepted for being a "noob" or "bad". It also doesn't help that making friends in WoW is kind of a shot in the dark because that cute little belf in the corner might be buffalo bill. #Foodforyourthoughts

10+ Year Old Account

This guy is right. This game became antisocial (for the most part) because of the way the design went, game designers can directly affect the way people interact in an MMO. I hate to pull this but play on any Vanilla server that is Blizzlike and you'll understand how the game naturally incorporated people on your server to work together and meet each other.
    Hey everyone

Cross-realm chat
    Cross-faction chat
    1 free server xfer/month or per x months paid gametime, so you can play with friends
    Mentor system
    LFD style group quest queue system
    More group quests/world events/dynamic group questing system
    Rating system where you +1 players who are helpful in a group setting
    Bounty system on PvP servers

Just some ideas.

the game became anti-social with the introduction of the dungeon finder tool. Ever since then social behavior has just spiraled downward, even if it has been much easier to get groups together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivick View Post
    the game became anti-social with the introduction of the dungeon finder tool. Ever since then social behavior has just spiraled downward, even if it has been much easier to get groups together.
    You have to ask yourself, "Was it really worth it?"
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Cross-realm chat --- already happens on phased zones.
    Cross-faction chat --- Just a simple never please
    1 free server xfer/month or per x months paid gametime, so you can play with friends --- this sounds like the many wow should go f2p
    Mentor system --- huh what?
    LFD style group quest queue system --- this one could be good, but i think faction tagging kinda takes care of it
    More group quests/world events/dynamic group questing system --- a lot like the above?
    Rating system where you +1 players who are helpful in a group setting --- can you imagine the negative ratings your friends would do just for kicks?
    Bounty system on PvP servers --- another good one, maybe just maybe

Just some ideas.
    the blues are my replies.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find the networking more then enough. Friends list, guilds, private channels, cross server cross faction cross game chat with friends. Its not Facebook and it doesn't need to be.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

I in fact find that there is too much chatting and turn channels off. I am here to play the game, interact a bit with my guildies and the rest of the players unless they are impacting me in some way at that time are viewed as little more then slightly belligerent bots. If someone whispers me I am always polite, but the garbage that is trade and even at times general chat is so obnoxious I have to turn these channels off or they drive me crazy.

this is true

Quote Originally Posted by dess View Post
    the blues are my replies.
    Mentor system is the name of the system in Rift where you can "level down" and do low level quests/dungeons and still earn xp if you are not at level cap. It reduces your stats and level to whatever is appropriate for the zone/dungeon, so you can run low level dungeons w/friends, complete random world events at the level they are designed for (and get bonuses for the additional challenge) or just level with someone who levels slower/faster than you do. It's a pretty awesome system but I bet Blizzard could tweak it out some and make it really interesting.

"More grp qests/world events/dynamic grp questing system" would be where you get perks for completing group content. The rating system wouldn't give minuses, just pluses, and you can only give one +1 per battle.net account (so like, you can only give +1 to your friend once, not multiple times on multiple characters). A free xfer could be a sub perk if you stay subbed for 3 months in a row or something, 1 per account (?)

I haven't fleshed any of this out yet, just threw out some ideas.
    Last edited by Celista; 2013-09-29 at 06:22 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealbinder View Post
    I in fact find that there is too much chatting and turn channels off. I am here to play the game, interact a bit with my guildies and the rest of the players unless they are impacting me in some way at that time are viewed as little more then slightly belligerent bots. If someone whispers me I am always polite, but the garbage that is trade and even at times general chat is so obnoxious I have to turn these channels off or they drive me crazy.
    I'm doing the exact same thing for LFR*, there's just never anything worth reading, its all just obnoxious toxic waste being written there, with people thinking they are gods gift to mankind, while they themselves play sub-par, or keep spamming dps/healing meters to make them look like special snowflakes, instead of just doing the right thing which might hurt their meter performance.

(*) Yes i should just skip doing LFR and do flex, but there's rarely enough people online in my guild, which only consist of real-life friends, so joining a raiding guild isn't a real good solution either, and with zero flex pugs on my server i'm kinda stuck with LFR, its somewhat bearable when you turn chat off, but it is what it is.

Sorry but no WOW has been anti-social for quite sometime and it was that way before LFD even came out.

I started originally early TBC and wow was anti-social then. I will adimit LFD and LFR did not help in this problem but wow was anti social way before then. One thing that dose not help is blizzard is lazy at enforcing there rules and they have been that way for quite sometime. I personally feel blizzard new motto is "You can't make money off a banned account"

/my 2 cents
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-09-29 at 08:42 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

It's game, not social network.
    Sorry for my bad english.
    WOW Signature.(Warning! 10.9Mb gif animation!) MWO Signature.(Warning! 3.9Mb gif animation!)
    I think it's really easy and even attractive to people to daydream about worst case scenarios©Bashiok
    "No flying - no sub" Club "No tiers in LFR - no sub" Club

Deleted
    It is not in WoW. It is in the internet nowadays

I actually think the timeless isle actually was a step in the right direction towards getting people to meet each other in game. I remember farming multiple hours for a couple of days there for the mount and timeless coins. Inevitably, i joined many a rep group, the more successful ones led to tentative freindships and mutual respect all around. It became a mandatory if you wanted to get anything done quickly.

However most actions outside of normal/heroic raiding don't follow this mindset. The game has become very anynomous, you become the extent of your dps meters and class color, and hit a simple button on your UI to get ushered into a group thrown together for the sole pourpose of doing relatively easy content that requires absolutely no creative thinking to accomplish.

When you create in a MMO, the very definition of what the internet is... you get.. the internet. A place of no accountability, no faces (or vocies) behind names, no community. Frankly, its slowly sapping the life out of the game. With the declining accountability of players in general, you get a bunch of decent players doing normal content, who look down on the people who are learning. The same people who were in that position at one point and have probably became the same people they hated all those years/months ago. Its... a toxic circle indeed.
    Amazing Signature by Yoni

You want community in wow, take the end of SoO as a cue card.

This tired, petty, stupid, and poorly written alliance vs horde bullshit war needs to end. Cross faction grouping and chat needs to be put in.

The entire "War" has been the biggest joke in any game I've ever played. The two sides have almost 0 reason to continue fighting.

You do that and allow the entire player base to communicate in game all the time and you'll get your community.

Deleted

I Started in 2006, and i do not really agree with you. Maybe its different realm to realm, but before we got LFR, LFD and a lot of other "handy" features, people did talk more, may have been "forced" but there were more social things going on

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aang View Post
    You have to ask yourself, "Was it really worth it?"
    Imo, not worth it... why? an MMORPG without social structure might aswell be a singel player experience like an elder scrolls (tho not a fair comparison) but you get my point. I think WoW is way more fun if there is a lot of social stuff going on