Poll: Would you Support an HD Texture Pack Upgrade for WoW?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    I have to say that WoW is one of those games were I don't mind about the graphics at all.

Well, ok. Maybe it would be nice if they did smoothen up those 8-bit jigsaw trees in Azeroth :P

If it would bring all textures up to MoP quality, I would love it.

Do you know how much resources it would take to redo so many textures? Also, most textures are already good enough at the given poly count.

Quote Originally Posted by Danifilth View Post
    Game engine needs to be updated using a Asus DirectCUII 7970 AMD FX 8350 32GB memory still having lag and FPS issues in raids is a big no no for a outdated game.
    That comment is hilarious.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    AMD processors sucks for all MMORPGs (GW2, SWToR & Rift included), that's your problem. Should've put more money on better CPU than excessive RAM.
    How is that my problem? i played all those games you listed including Neverwinter it runs fine at 2560x1440 but Wow doesnt run well? im getting 60 fps with vsync on Crysis 3 Dead Island Skyrim all run fine as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    Sooner or later Blizz will be made into making new engine to WoW because game getting old, and instead better graphic we getting fps drop every patch - soon to even play 25man you will need highend PC, but if you would back to vanilla - if you can remember - you were able to play 40man on not so good PC (my radeon 9200 handle it if I remember correctly).

A bit offtop here - I wonder if Blizz will overhaul Silvermoon where we still can see monuments of Kael'thas there and Green power crystals which don't fit lore at all atm.
    The game in Vanilla looked pretty much the same and I raided 40 man everything on max with my GF 4200...

15+ Year Old Account
    Would want wow to have same definitions and size comparisons as in Old Republic and ARR tbh. Getting awfully tired of the way wow looks by now, and I´m not all that focused on graphics - but having the same for this long is too long ...
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

How is that my problem? i played all those games you listed including Neverwinter it runs fine at 2560x1440 but Wow doesnt run well? im getting 60 fps with vsync on Crysis 3 Dead Island Skyrim all run fine as well?
    WoW and MMOs are more CPU intensive than graphics card intensive, thats why its your problem.

It's about the number of players and your apples to oranges comparison is totally pointless. 60fps on single player first person shooters is nothing when there's dozens or hundreds of players visible in MMORPGs with dozens of different spell effects going on.

And it's your problem for not doing any research before buying. With five minutes of research you'd have easily found out that ever since 2008 AMD processors have never been anywhere even close to Intel in game performance except on things you can count with fingers of one hand, and that 8GB of RAM is more than enough for all current and announced games.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-09-22 at 11:57 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

It is your problem because you didn't research your PC components well enough. You could have taken a look at the last ten pages of the "post your gaming system" thread, and simply counted the amount of Intel systems compared to AMD.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    It is your problem because you didn't research your PC components well enough. You could have taken a look at the last ten pages of the "post your gaming system" thread, and simply counted the amount of Intel systems compared to AMD.
    I been building computers since 1994 don't know how thats my problem FX 8350 is almost the same as i5 and i7 according to benchmarks. If i plan on running 2 or 4 graphics cards or multimedia streaming yeah intel would be great. But I like to keep my room cold not run hot with my CPU at 12C GPU 24C 23C Chipset only consuming less than 330 watts.

I been building computers since 1994 don't know how thats my problem FX 8350 is almost the same as i5 and i7 according to benchmarks. If i plan on running 2 or 4 graphics cards or multimedia streaming yeah intel would be great. But I like to keep my room cold not run hot with my CPU at 12C GPU 24C 23C Chipset only consuming less than 330 watts.
    Building since 1994 doesn't actually make up for total lack of knowledge of the current parts. Here's few highlights:

- Modern Intel processor (i5-4670K) would use about 100W less power than FX-8350
    - Reading wrong benchmarks (pissmark) will not give you good picture of actual game performance. On the benchmarks where you see FX-8350 being close to i5 are multithreaded tests and most games use only 1-2 cores. WoW for example will not benefit anything from having more than 3 cores free.
    - Buying 32GB of RAM totally invalidates all possible complaints and comments of money, building a system for multimedia, or having 20 years of experience building things.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Stop dreaming. It's not only the textures, the objects are low polygon and the animations are nowhere near the MoP ones. To upgrade them would be a ridiculous effort and it's not worth it, especially since all the people rush to max level

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Suppose your the proud owner of a super powerful computer, and you really like to play World of Warcraft, would you like to see the devs develop an HD texture pack so that you could enjoy nicer graphics? Doesn't have to be anything major as in art redesign - this isn't about make the game look more realistic, it's about making it more detailed. So...if the devs could, would you show your support for that? Also, this wouldn't be forced upon anyone, it'd be an optional download.

Note: Textures would bring the game's textures to 2k resolution. Would affect all content.
    Does this slow down the progress of future content because they're working on this instead? (e.g., revamping old world in Cataclysm)

If so, FUCK. THAT. NOISE. I don't want another garbage expansion like Cataclysm.

If not, meh, I guess. Nothing I'd be all "OMG" over, but it'd be pretty neat.

- - - Updated - - -

Game engine needs to be updated using a Asus DirectCUII 7970 AMD FX 8350 32GB memory still having lag and FPS issues in raids is a big no no for a outdated game.
    I been building computers since 1994
    I've assisted in building one computer, and even I know that 32GB of RAM is ridiculously excessive for something like WoW. I have 8GB and it's more than enough to run WoW, put YouTube or Netflix up on my second monitor, and still do one other major task (or multiple small tasks) meanwhile.

All you need to do is ask people for some assistance in things you're not sure about.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, why not? Even if my computer couldn't handle it, more options are generally good things.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    There's this concept called "fun." I know it's foreign to most of the people on this forum, but perhaps you should look into it; there's a school of thought that suggests it's integral to why people play games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    sure man, that's why I have constant frame drops in Pandaria on high(shadows on low, no AA) but I can play rift and GW2 just fine with max everything and 4x AA ...

so please do tell me how they require more resources than WoW... sure wow can be played on a potato... at the cost of looking like a potato... those newer games still look like something recent even if you play them on lowest settings.
    If your system can't handle a stable framerate in Pandaria then you won't be running GW2 on a stable framerate at full settings. And I can believe you are getting a decent framerate in Rift on full settings on such a rig, until you go into any group content.
    And like I say, final fidelity has no bearing on your original statement as you stated the total amount of resources consumed by WoW is unreasonable by comparison and not the ratio of resources used versus graphical fidelity.
    Pandaria does take a lot out of a system, but no more than Lion's Arch or Hunt Rift's (if people still run those).
    Anyway, even if it were true that WOW uses a grossly inflated amount of resources in comparison to newer games, the end result of this state of affairs in your conclusion still has no bearing on reality. There isn't some imminent data apocalypse impending for the game where it will just suddenly "crash" due to overload in such a way that Blizzard has no recourse but to pull the plug.
    So no, I'm still not seeing your point other than newer games have prettier graphics.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No.

Firstly, I like it as it is.

Secondly, I think part of WoW's success in the MMO market is that you don't need a £700 computer to play it. Anybody with a cheap laptop can play the game on low graphics. Would WoW ever have had 10 million subscribers if they all needed a top of the range machine to play?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    No.

Firstly, I like it as it is.

Secondly, I think part of WoW's success in the MMO market is that you don't need a £700 computer to play it. Anybody with a cheap laptop can play the game on low graphics. Would WoW ever have had 10 million subscribers if they all needed a top of the range machine to play?
    I think for those that want a higher quality look on WoW should have that option. It's not *required*. I forgot what MMO not as popular as WoW had a regular client and a high res client or something like that. I mean sure the average person may not get it but it would be good for those that like upgrading their machines.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    an optional hd pack sure, for people like me with a decent computer it would be cool for WoW to have some amazing graphics, but one of blizzards main things with WoW is that it runs so well on such a range of pcs

I would argue that Heartstone/pet battles/PVP detract developer time as well from the real, tangible features, but you wouldn't understand.
    Hearthstone is a completely different team, you may as well say "They could take the people from Starcraft 2 and use them to make textures". And just because you don't consider Pet Battles and PvP to be 'real, tangible features' I'm sure many people out there do and wouldn't be happy sacrificing them for some new textures. Pet Battles don't really have much art or content requirements anyway, thats why they were added in in the first place, its mostly code, a bit of UI work, and a huge value-add to the game as a result. New textures on the other hand would require a veritable ARMY of artists to complete, and you're not going to get anywhere near the value added to the game compared to the time spent having to do it. Plus, the things you'd be sacrificing would be things like 5 mans, raid content, and higher level zones, because thats where the art work goes, not so much into pet battles and pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I think for those that want a higher quality look on WoW should have that option. It's not *required*. I forgot what MMO not as popular as WoW had a regular client and a high res client or something like that. I mean sure the average person may not get it but it would be good for those that like upgrading their machines.
    WoW is high res. It was high-res day 1.