View Poll Results: Which tier has the best difficulty curve?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Siege of Orgrimmar: Large, mostly linear instance, fairly linear difficulty curve throughout

    76 41.30%
  • Throne of Thunder: Large, linear instance, non-linear difficulty curve throughout

    12 6.52%
  • Tier 14: 3 small, linear instances, non-linear difficulty curve throughout

    6 3.26%
  • Dragon Soul: small, mostly linear instance, linear difficulty curve except for the last boss

    5 2.72%
  • Firelands: small, non-linear instance, linear difficulty curve except for the last boss

    9 4.89%
  • BWD: non-linear instance, non-linear difficulty curve; BoT: linear instance, linear difficulty curve

    16 8.70%
  • Icecrown Citadel: Large, non-linear instance, linear difficulty curve in each wing.

    62 33.70%
  • ToC: small, linear instance, linear difficulty curve except for the last boss

    3 1.63%
  • Other

    21 11.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    What tier has the best difficulty curve?

    In your opinion which tier has the best difficulty curve.

  2. #2
    Ulduar or Sunwell

  3. #3
    ICC had a great difficulty curve. Not my favorite raid, but the pacing of that raid was great. Good amount of trash, but not too much, and bosses got progressivly harder, ending with the LK himself, who was by far the hardest of that raid.

    Ulduaar did not have a good curve in my opinion. Those fights were all over the place it seemed.

  4. #4
    I am Murloc! Firebert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Dat Ingurlund, brrrrrap
    Posts
    5,019
    Other: small, linear instance, linear difficulty curve including the last boss.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/1 | Mafia: 0/5/5 | TPR: 0/2/2
    SK: 0/1/1 | VT: 1.5/3.5/5 | Cult: 1/0/1
    Legendary Overlooked

  5. #5
    I like ICC, progressively harder, first 4 were a joke, next first 4 took more coordination, the 4 after that took even more.
    I like how it isn't completely linear, can't down dream? try festergut.

  6. #6
    Herald of the Titans Simulacrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,944
    I'd have to say ICC, especially due to its winged design.
    Dr Johnson, they said: “we are delighted to find that you’ve not included any indecent or obscene words in your dictionary.”
    “Ladies, said dr Johnson, “I can congratulate you on being able to look them up.”

  7. #7
    We're still early into SoO, but it looks like fairly linear difficulty throughout. That's neat.

    ICC might have been okay towards the later parts, but the by far easiest boss was 3rd, and probably the 3rd-4th most difficult boss was #2 in the instance.
    My addons:
    Announce Interrupts: Announces in chat when you interrupt a spell.
    Tol Barad Reminder: Reminds you to queue for Tol Barad by printing a message when the battle is approaching.
    EasyLogger: Turns on /combatlog inside raid instances, and off outside.
    Simple class resource bars: Paladin Rogue Shaman Monk

  8. #8
    ICC handsdown was by far the greatest when it comes down to difficulty curve. The amount of happiness we had when we killed LK, man man. Best one was, OOH NOOOO WE WIPED RELEASE SPIRIT. O wait a second he is doing some RP'ing!

  9. #9
    T11 had best curve
    1. Smaller dungeons
    2. Nonlinear form
    3. Gets harder as progresses

  10. #10
    didn't got past 2/14 SoO normal yet so i voted for BWD and BoT their difficulty was well handled (with exception of Cho'Gall wich was a joke). Talking from a tank prospective btw

  11. #11
    Moderator Nobleshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    4,696
    I would have liked something like the base DS difficulty (yeah yeah, I said it) but T11's style of multiple raids with multiple paths. I liked how you could change things up without it being "Kill Boss 1 to get to Boss 2 to get to Boss 3 etc."

    ICC was pretty good in that regard too, except for being one big instance instead of several smaller ones.
    NOBLESHIELD
    Raids & Dungeons Moderator | Twitch Stream | Wayniac#1291


  12. #12
    Herald of the Titans crakerjack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ptwn, Oregon
    Posts
    2,748
    Instead of tier, lets just say TBC... TBC was perfect... the only people who didn't like it, were egotistical noobs who wanted the best gear but due to their horrid skills, couldn't obtain it. There was not a single heroic dungeon that dropped better gear than kara until MGT came out... progression never died in TBC... if you were done w/ sunwell before the patch was over, chances are you were in a top 1% guild. Not many people were... Before wotlk came out, my guild had just finished Sunwell. We never did get past m'uru until the nerf, but w/e.

    No one... and I mean no one can argue that TBC wasn't the best for PvE... because it was. Not an opinion, fact. Tiers were never forgotten... while people were clearing sunwell pre nerf, there were still guilds doing kara and gearing up their raiders... it's not like they went to the best tier right from there... they had to progress through Gruuls, Mag, then ZA, SSC/TK then onto black temple/hyjal and finishing off w/ sunwell. I don't know about other people, but heroics that drop better gear than first tiers, is pretty pathetic... it ruins progression and makes it so no one wants to do old content aside from achievements... which is stupid because you outgear the place so there's little to no challenge.

    Anyone who opposes my view clearly enjoys what WoW has become today... they enjoy easy loot that doesn't require skill, just time. It's sad that people want to play an rpg, but when it comes to going through each raid, they want to skip it and get the best gear. What's the point of playing an RPG if you're not going to go through each tier and experience it on your hero? It's why I quit... WoW ain't a bad game, it's just not what it used to be, therefore it's not deemed worthy to spend 15 bucks a month on.

    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

  13. #13
    High Overlord Dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    174
    iCC probably had the best difficulty curve with the end boss in each wing being harder than the other boss(es) in that wing. Then LK was significantly harder than everything else.

    Only 10/14 in SoO normal, but so far, the difficulty curve is the best in recent memory, on both normal and heroic difficulty. To think that next boss is actually slightly harder than the last! Nazgrim is undetuned, and Juggernaut could use so more HP, but other than that, they did a pretty good job with it. Just watching the race on heroic, it seems that also has a pretty nice difficulty curve.

    But really, anything they did would be better that ToT's curve. You went from boss 1 to boss 6, then to boss 10. Back to 2 and 4. Then go up to 8 and 11, then back to 3 and 5 while finally going back up to 7 and 9. Most annoying heroic progression ever. Even on normal mode, spending a week and a half on pre maze nerf Durumu, then the next week we're at Lei Shen?

    I'd have to disagree with T11 though. BoT normal was the only good curve iirc. I remember doing heroic Atra, Chim, and Mal before Mags and Omnitron. BWD normal was flat aside from Nef and TFW is a two boss raid, so that doesn't really count.

    Actually DS, as garbage as it was, had a nice difficulty curve as well.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    iCC probably had the best difficulty curve with the end boss in each wing being harder than the other boss(es) in that wing. Then LK was significantly harder than everything else.

    Only 10/14 in SoO normal, but so far, the difficulty curve is the best in recent memory, on both normal and heroic difficulty. To think that next boss is actually slightly harder than the last! Nazgrim is undetuned, and Juggernaut could use so more HP, but other than that, they did a pretty good job with it. Just watching the race on heroic, it seems that also has a pretty nice difficulty curve.

    But really, anything they did would be better that ToT's curve. You went from boss 1 to boss 6, then to boss 10. Back to 2 and 4. Then go up to 8 and 11, then back to 3 and 5 while finally going back up to 7 and 9. Most annoying heroic progression ever. Even on normal mode, spending a week and a half on pre maze nerf Durumu, then the next week we're at Lei Shen?

    I'd have to disagree with T11 though. BoT normal was the only good curve iirc. I remember doing heroic Atra, Chim, and Mal before Mags and Omnitron. BWD normal was flat aside from Nef and TFW is a two boss raid, so that doesn't really count.

    Actually DS, as garbage as it was, had a nice difficulty curve as well.
    Heroic difficulty has nothing to do with curve because you can choose what you will do in heroic

  15. #15
    High Overlord Whyevernot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Instead of tier, lets just say TBC... TBC was perfect... the only people who didn't like it, were egotistical noobs who wanted the best gear but due to their horrid skills, couldn't obtain it. There was not a single heroic dungeon that dropped better gear than kara until MGT came out... progression never died in TBC... if you were done w/ sunwell before the patch was over, chances are you were in a top 1% guild. Not many people were... Before wotlk came out, my guild had just finished Sunwell. We never did get past m'uru until the nerf, but w/e.

    No one... and I mean no one can argue that TBC wasn't the best for PvE... because it was. Not an opinion, fact. Tiers were never forgotten... while people were clearing sunwell pre nerf, there were still guilds doing kara and gearing up their raiders... it's not like they went to the best tier right from there... they had to progress through Gruuls, Mag, then ZA, SSC/TK then onto black temple/hyjal and finishing off w/ sunwell. I don't know about other people, but heroics that drop better gear than first tiers, is pretty pathetic... it ruins progression and makes it so no one wants to do old content aside from achievements... which is stupid because you outgear the place so there's little to no challenge.

    Anyone who opposes my view clearly enjoys what WoW has become today... they enjoy easy loot that doesn't require skill, just time. It's sad that people want to play an rpg, but when it comes to going through each raid, they want to skip it and get the best gear. What's the point of playing an RPG if you're not going to go through each tier and experience it on your hero? It's why I quit... WoW ain't a bad game, it's just not what it used to be, therefore it's not deemed worthy to spend 15 bucks a month on.
    There is no fact stated in this text at all. What you said is purely your own opinion, an opinion i disagree with, so don't try to pass your own opinion for fact.

    On topic, i feel that SoO has a very good dificulty curve, atleast on normal, the first bosses are fairly easy with the later bosses being fairly challanging. Heroic is very different though.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyevernot View Post
    On topic, i feel that SoO has a very good dificulty curve, atleast on normal, the first bosses are fairly easy with the later bosses being fairly challanging. Heroic is very different though.
    It is not.

  17. #17
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,855
    ICC had good difficulty curve, but only due to the fact that there were three wings and you could choose where you could go. As far as the first wing went, Heroic Deathwhisper was harder than the other three. But yeah, probably ICC overall. Every wing boss was for the most part more difficult than the bosses before it.

    SoO for a fairly linear instance has a really good difficulty curve.

    ToT was all over the place.

    T11 really wasn't. Ascendent council was incredibly difficult and the first two in BWD were more difficult than the next three.'

    T14 was all over the place. Spirit kings was the most difficult in MGV and then Vizier in HoF before they changed it a bit. Even with the changes Vizier was still harder than the next 3 bosses after it.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    It is not.
    Infact I'd say heroic SoO has pretty darn good difficulty scaling, especially when you consider it from a more casual PoV.

  19. #19
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    180
    ICC was perfectly structured.

  20. #20
    Banned Paula Deen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Albany, Georgia
    Posts
    2,538
    In terms of curve I really like SoO, I also liked Ulduar and ICC as well. All 3 are very close.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •