Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

World of Warcraft: Sands of Darkness

I don't know if you've noticed it but there are a lot of in-game references to time and the Bronze Dragonflight in MoP. What follows is pure speculation on my part (you've been warned).

Next expansion: World of Warcraft: Sands of Darkness.

Pre-expansion patch (5.5) (scenario)
    Garrosh Hellscream is being judged by the Shado-Pan and a delegation of both the Horde and the Alliance (the players are amongst them). Found guilty of the destruction of the Vale, the genocide of trolls and randomly killing bunnies, he is about to be executed by Taran Zhu, when members of the Infinite Dragonflight appear and try to stop the execution. The players kill them and then enter Alextrasza, Ysera and Kalecgos (either warned by Jaina or Thrall). We learn that following Soridormi's death Nozdormu disappeared and the Bronze Dragonflight has been reporting strange occurences: time rifts opening here and there.
    On her way out, Ysera congratulates Thrall on finally being able to close the Maelstrom.

Pre-expansion event: Through Azeroth, rifts open. In order to close them, heroes have to relieve part of the history of the place.

6.0: Pursuit of Time.:
    After the Pandaren Campaign, the Horde and the Alliance try to maintain their uneasy peace. Heroes of the Alliance are called to Dalaran (which has finally arrived at the ruins of Theramore) by Jaina and those of the Horde join Thrall, the new orcish leader at Orgrimmar. There they meet Kalecgos (A) and Ysera (H) who tell them of a landmass that just appeared where the Maelstrom used to be. It is not (another) previously unknown island this time but a vision of the past: the pre-sundering Azeroth (or part of it). The appearance is probably linked to the missing Timelord and the Aspects want the mortal races to investigate.

A new Island divided into 5 zones + Azshara's city as a capital. The timeline is around the War of the Ancients (before or during I don't know) and player progresses from 90 to 100 through the zone while slowly unraveling the mysteries of the time anomaly and its link to Nozdormu.

Three New raids: After the players discover that Nozdormu has been captured by the Infinite Dragonflight, their leader Murozond comes from the future to try to corrupt them.

Echoes of Warcraft

Trapped in their past, the heroes has to defeat corrupted versions of the villains they defeated.
    Masters of Outland (Vash'jir, Kael, Illidan) - Heralds of the Legion (Kil'jaeden, Archimonde) - Trial of the Old Gods (C'thun, Yogg'saron, Shas) - Frozen Throne (Lich King) - Madness of the Aspects (Malygos - Deathwing)

Black Hourglass

Corrupted by Murozond at the end of the Echoes of Warcraft, the players are tasked to collapse three timeways.
    Each boss will function as a kind of scenario with steps. I don't know which timeline Murozond would want to be rewritten but the lore is full of stories that could be used).
    The fourth boss is a Norushen-type of fight: players try to regain control and purify themselves of Murozond corruption. The raid faces a mirrored version itself (if technology allows it, the opposite team will use corrupted models of the players and their names). Once the corruption is beaten, the player return to the present while the Bronze Dragonflight go back to repair the timeways (see: scenarios)

Eternal Prison

The heroes assisted by the Aspects defeat various Infinite Dragonflight bosses in order to reach Nozdormu. It's a traditionnal raid culminating in defeating Murozond and freeing Nozdormu.

3 Scenarios: The three timeways we helped collapse seen from the other side.

6.1: Random Troll Patch

Well, it seems to be a tradition, each expansion its troll patch. So I let you imagine another way to kick some Zandalari ass (I personnaly don't like the troll patches).

6.2: The Queen of the Deep
    Nozdormu, still reeling from Soridormi's death, can't make the Ancient Azeroth continent disappear back to its time, and a Naga invasion on its shores doesn't help. The proud Queen Azshara (the naga one, not her past self) sees the island as her rightfull queendom and uses her full might to attack. A quick questline and some individual scenarios phase the players in modified by conquest zones (phasing). After they are done, the player has access to a new raid:

Abyssal Maw (2.0)
    The raid begins in Ancient Azeroth where the players have to regain control of the capital city by defeating the naga forces there. When it is done, the players follow the fleeing Queen to the depth of the ocean where they fight her and save the missing Neptulon (cataclysm loose end tied, you're welcome).

6.3: The Descent
    A quest-line showing how the interaction between past-present-future affect an already weak Nozdormu, slowly driving him mad. The quest-line ends with an altercation between Nozdormu and the Aspects. He leaves and Ysera is afraid that her brother is on the path to become Murozond.

6.4: Fall of the Timelord
    After his outburst at the council of the Aspects, Nozdormu has sealed off the Cavern of Time and the Bronze Dragonflight with him. Through the Dream, Ysera has managed to discover that Nozdormu's fate has not yet happened and send the heroes to try and save him.

Cavern of Time
    Upon their arrival, the heroes discover that the Hourglass isn't pure anymore, black and white sand grains have started to appear. It is a race against time: every 15 minutes a fraction of the sand darkens, empowering the final boss (adding a few seconds to the dark phases). When defeating a boss, one player (three in 25M) gains a buff that allows him to clean a part of the Hourglass, the buff is more powerfull if said player(s) respected the mechanics of the boss. It makes for a very dynamic raiding experience, where the sense of urgency is real. (While the raid is off, the timer stops of course).

Final boss: Nozdormu. He awaits under the Hourglass, at the resting place of his beloved Soridormi. He is friendly to the players at the start. He tells them that he is preparing to go back in time to destroy Soridormi's killer before her death. Preventing that event will erase a timeline created because of him and his influence over time. The other Aspects try to stop him because what happened happened and he is the Guardian of time, not its maker. He traps them in a storm of sand. He starts channeling a portal. The raid has to fight off waves of dragons half-corrupted. When the Nozdormu reaches 100 energy, a portal opens. A hero has to enter it while the rest of the group fights Nozdormu who enters in Dark Phase. He morphs into Murozond. The hero has to survive long enough for the raid to bring Murozond to 80%. The Dark Phase ends and so one.
    At 10%, Nozdormu is too weak to maintain the sandstorm that kept the Aspects out of the fight and they stop him from morphing again. Cue the cinematic that shows how close the Aspects are, each sharing the pain from his/her past (except Kalec who's banging Jaina and feels pretty awesome about it) to help Nozdormu gain back control.

Voilà! What do you think of such an expansion? (Please don't turn this into a Dark Below, Me wantz Emerald Dream, or Where them demons at? Stay on topic .

(By-the-way, I'm French, so please don't mine my english and its faults)
    Last edited by mmocb6bf1fb31a; 2013-09-21 at 08:03 PM.

Seems like Cataclysm, just with Nozdormu instead of Deathwing.

Quote Originally Posted by kralljin View Post
    seems like cataclysm, just with nozdormu instead of deathwing.
    lool...............

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Seems like Cataclysm, just with Nozdormu instead of Deathwing.
    Hum ok... The Aspect as last boss is a bit like Cataclysm yes, but the rest? I fail to see how it is the same. Have you read past the first line?

Deleted
    World of Warcraft: The Greatest Rehash. Experience the classic epic raids of Ahn-Qiraj, Naxxramas 3.0, Lords of Outland and Fall of the Lich King! New max level zone allows you to explore the World of Warcraft before Deathwing ravaged the lands! Step through the Portal of Time and re-experience your class in their Burning Crusade state, with real talent trees! (DKs and Monks not welcome)

Deleted
    I really liked this!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeryl View Post
    Hum ok... The Aspect as last boss is a bit like Cataclysm yes, but the rest? I fail to see how it is the same. Have you read past the first line?
    Basically the 1st part is how you fight through the domain of the Aspect, similiar to Deathwing who broke Azeroth you fight through corrupted time.

1st Patch is a Troll Patch.

You fight Naga as Subplot.

Abyssal Maw.

Last Raid Instance is at an Location crucial to the Dragonflights.

The Rise of the Blood Elves

Using time travel to create villains on an expansion scale would just be lazy story writing

Meh pile of crap..

Deleted
    All is fine except we already fought corrupted nozdormu in End Time

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ugeowhopwr View Post
    World of Warcraft: The Greatest Rehash. Experience the classic epic raids of Ahn-Qiraj, Naxxramas 3.0, Lords of Outland and Fall of the Lich King! New max level zone allows you to explore the World of Warcraft before Deathwing ravaged the lands! Step through the Portal of Time and re-experience your class in their Burning Crusade state, with real talent trees! (DKs and Monks not welcome)
    It's a time-based expansion, of course it will use things from the past. The Echoes are not exactly the same, it's the corrupted version of some legendary bosses. For those who didn't get to experience them at appropriate level, it's a new experience, for those who have, well, there can be a few tweaks in the mechanics. And it can drop recouloured version of sets. And it is just one raid out of five.
    For the new zones, it's not the version of Azeroth before Cataclysm, but the one before the War of the Ancient (20 000 years ago if i'm not mistaken). If you read the books, you know it is somewhat different. One continent, with Azshara capital. And no, you wont get the old talent trees, time to move on . By-the-way, both my monk and my DK would love this expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Basically the 1st part is how you fight through the domain of the Aspect, similiar to Deathwing who broke Azeroth you fight through corrupted time.

1st Patch is a Troll Patch.

You fight Naga as Subplot.

Abyssal Maw.

Last Raid Instance is at an Location crucial to the Dragonflights.
    I see your point but, actually, WoW is always the same, more or less. In Mop you had a troll patch too, and as a subplot, you fight mogus. In WotLK, you fought the Blue Dragonflight, and you had to raid locations crucial to the Aspects (Sanctums, Wyrmrest, Nexus, Eye of Eternity). If you quested in the Toundra and the Dragonblight, you have fought through magic (domain of Malygos). You had trolls too.
    Abyssal Maw is just there to tie up loose ends, since it has been scrapped in Cata and could be used for the Azshara raid.

I overall don't like idea of "time traveling expansion".

Trapped in their past, the heroes has to defeat corrupted versions of the villains they defeated.
    Madness of the Aspects (Malygos - Deathwing)
    This would be too much for me... One more time killing the SAME boss in the SAME Caverns of Time?

anything that contains rekilling shit is a nono in my book, but then weve killed onyxia like 3 times....

I see your point but, actually, WoW is always the same, more or less. In Mop you had a troll patch too, and as a subplot, you fight mogus. In WotLK, you fought the Blue Dragonflight, and you had to raid locations crucial to the Aspects (Sanctums, Wyrmrest, Nexus, Eye of Eternity). If you quested in the Toundra and the Dragonblight, you have fought through magic (domain of Malygos). You had trolls too.
    Abyssal Maw is just there to tie up loose ends, since it has been scrapped in Cata and could be used for the Azshara raid.
    WoW expansions are always similiar but if i'm reading this it just seems like a pumped up version of Cataclysm with Nozdormu instead of Deathwing.

6.1: Random Troll Patch
    Quite possibly the easiest guess you could make. I think WotLK is the only expansion that hasn't pulled a "Surprise! More trolls!" patch. Though I guess arguably the whole Argent tournament patch was just Blizzard trolling players.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    I overall don't like idea of "time traveling expansion".This would be too much for me... One more time killing the SAME boss in the SAME Caverns of Time?
    What, you're not looking forward to the Caverns of Alternate Timelines where you can fight Kael'thas a few more times?
    Last edited by Alltat; 2013-09-21 at 09:16 PM.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    Quite possibly the easiest guess you could make. I think WotLK is the only expansion that hasn't pulled a "Surprise! More trolls!" patch. Though I guess arguably the whole Argent tournament patch was just Blizzard trolling players.
    Well in Wotlk you already had Zul'drak as a zone and Gundrak + Drak'Tharon Keep as troll dungeons at launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even the name is not good; "Sands of Darkness", really?

And yeah, it's both a rehash of Cata and Malygos story plotwise.

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    The troll content was part Grizzly Hills, mostly Zul'Drak.

But this idea isn't enough to suit an expansion-you experience the 'title' through most levelling content and patches:
    Burning Legion's influence in Outland
    Arthas' effects on Northrend
    Deathwing's destruction of EK and Kalimdor
    Pandaria and its secrets

And time travel as a plot device can easily become lazy storytelling if not executed well. If Nozdormu's fall was to be part of an expansion, it needs to be built up and not seem too 'whoa! Why are we suddenly against him with nothing being said in-game?). My way of tackling this would be to have part of the leveling content involve him and the bronzes, one of the story-like patches (like 5.1/3 and a scenario?), and then as a focus of a raid. The encounter could have phases occur at historical moments, Infinite adds, and maybe a fight in the air-we're on drakes and chase him across the sky.
    Last edited by The Flavour Cat; 2013-09-22 at 09:36 AM.

I'm tired of Dragons. And time travel has always been lame in WoW.

After seeing how well they did crafting Pandaria, I would them make an expansion about something entirely new. Argus, Emerald Dream, Maelstrom and misc islands. All of that sounds better than a time travel expansion.