Thread: Icicles FAQ

Deleted

Lightbulb Icicles FAQ

1- How are generated these Icicles ? How much they worth ?
    When [Frostbolt] and [Frostfirebolt] are doing damage, an [Icicle] is generated. The [Icicle] store a copy of a part of the apllied damage depending of your Mastery level.

2- How many Icicle can I store ? How can I release them ?
    You can store up to 5 [Icicles]. There's 2 way for launching [Icicles] :
    • generating a 6th [Icicle] will automatically launch the oldest.
    • casting [Ice Lance] will launch all of them every 0.25s (minus haste) and every [Icicle] generated during this time.

3- I heard the double-dip on Resilience and on Hit.
    No, Resilience and Hit chance are calculated normally. It was the case very early in the PTR.

4- My target have a buff that increase/reduce damage it take, how is it working?
    The damage stored in the Icicle are the damage that would have been done without the buff/debuff.
    Icicle's damage will be increase/decrease by this buff. Like resilience.
    • If the buff/debuff is on you, the [Icicle] will be bigger/smaller but they do damage normally.
    • If the buff/debuff is on the taregt, the [Icicle] will be normal but they do bigger/smaller damage.

5- Can Icicle crit ?
    No, they can't. The damage stored include increased damage if [Frostbolt] or [Frostfirebolt] are critique.

6- How can it work if the target became immune/dead?
    They stop launch if the target is at 0 HP or immune.

7- Can I waste [Icicle]?
    Yes and No.
    They melt after 30s and disappear if no new one are generated or if they aren't launch before. But it's the only way to lose them.

8- Did I need a specific addon for tracking them ?
    NO.
    In PvE, there's no reason for tracking them. They are just delayed damage and they are generate/launch too quickly for being tracked correctly.
    In PvP, outside of big Battleground that are like PvE, you need to count them to know when you're ready for burst.

9- Any new question are accepted !!!

Thanks Nat! Sticky please!

I don't this is really sticky worthy.. at least yet. But if there is some brave soul that can make a FAQ for full 5.4 raiding scene or PvP guide, make it so and PM us or report the post so we can go through it if that's sticky worth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post
    If Kuni wants me to I'll do it.
    Regardless of what Kuni wants, If it is any consolation, I want you to

Fringe theories lol! We need armbands. Light blue for the "haste" crowd, dark blue for the "mastery" and question marks for people who still want to track icicles >)

Just quick clarification (as you see, I main a hunter and the mage is a profession alt) - should I prioritise launching the 5 icicles ASAP, or just wait for the Ice Lance proc?

10+ Year Old Account
    Just wait for the proc as you normally would.

Only interaction with using a FoF proc is if it's right after a BF proc, but I recommend BF->FoF@2->2nd BF->FB->FoF@1 as a priority, in other words:

Brain Freeze procs
    if you have 2 charges of FoF, spend one
    else if you have another BF proc with your Frozen Thoughts (FT) up, spend that
    else if cast frostbolt
    else spend your FoF charge

icicles don't play a role in the decision making, they'll do their thing

Deleted
    Very good rotation
    I should only add to use BF-FFB before FoF-IL in case of BF chain proc.

so how it works in pvp?

if I cast a frost bolt of 30k (crit lol) and with 50% mastery the icicle would hit 15k right? if it isn't affected by resil
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

Deleted
    You cast a 100k frostbolt, you will do 25k after resilience, at 50% mastery. The resulting Icicle will 100k*0.5=50k.
    If you launch it on a mob, it will it for 50k.
    If you launch it on a player, it will do only 12.5k because of resil.

In all case, the Icicle will hit for (damage*mastery%). The fact the resilience is only applied at the end is only for skipping bug and douple-dip.