10+ Year Old Account

Do i need a new Motherboard to overclock.

So my system specs are in my signature.

So i am using an FX 8350 and i have it overclocked to 4.5GHz, though i do not feel that it is stable.

i have ran prime95 and intelburntest, and my computer would end up locking up and becoming non responsive.

I went to go check my temps but even under full load for some reason my cpu would not get above 45c, while overclocked. I tried a different couple software monitors like, coretemp, realtemp, and HWmonitor, but all of them said i was running super cool. Now here is the real kicker. I am getting 3-10c on idle, which seems REALLY low to me, so low that i cant even trust it, but how are all the programs inaccurate? I am only on air cooling using a hyper 212 plus the room temp is probably around 60-70 Fahrenheit so im amazed at how low my temps are.

Now the only thing that changed in my sig is im using a Corsair cx600w. But i have had that power supply for over a year and without overclocking it doesn't give me any issues.

I have read online that my motherboard the asrock 970 extreme3 edition doesn't have enough power rails to fully overclock this cpu, i got my old phenom 965 from stock to 4.2 if that helps at all.

Tldr

1.Im using a 600w power supply is that enough for overclocking.
    2.My motherboard is a asrock 970 extreme3 while it does support the fx 8350 i hear its bad for overclocking is it true?
    3.I am getting unusually low cpu temps while idle and at load.
    4.Do i need to RMA the chip, though it is fully stable at stock speeds. Or is this a motherboard/PSU upgrade time?

Thank you in advance.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.6GHZ | Nvidia GTX 1080 ASUS STRIX OC | MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming 5 | 16GB Cosair Vengence 2400 | 128GB Vertex 4 |3TB Seagate Barracuda | AX750 | Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | H110I Extreme Cooler | ASUS VS229H-P Black 21.5 IPS | AOC 1080p | Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 | Logitech g600 | Sennheiser HD558

I dont know much about AMDs but..

As far as i know 990FX chipset is the "good for OC" for AMD.

If your CPU actually went that low it would mean there is no electricity running through it :P As far as i know any temp below 20-25C is bad for the CPU..therefor its probably fake results as far as i know FX 8350 is on a high Vcore therefor temps below 30C are impossible for it as far as i know.

Check into the UEFI about the proper values and the lock ups during stressing means an unstable OC.
    Last edited by potis; 2013-09-22 at 01:27 PM.

Even with the very best air coolers you'll never go much below ambient temperature+10C, and you can never go below ambient temperature without sub-zero coolers so you can forget about 3-10C being anywhere close to truth unless there's -20C in the room where you're using that computer.

Most likely the temperature sensor of your motherboard is bad or misdetected by the programs (you should see correct numbers in BIOS/UEFI) and you're probably hitting the maximum temperature allowed without realizing it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Even with the very best air coolers you'll never go much below ambient temperature+10C, and you can never go below ambient temperature without sub-zero coolers so you can forget about 3-10C being anywhere close to truth unless there's -20C in the room where you're using that computer.

Most likely the temperature sensor of your motherboard is bad or misdetected by the programs (you should see correct numbers in BIOS/UEFI) and you're probably hitting the maximum temperature allowed without realizing it.
    Excellent i figured that may be the issue. So do you think that i most likely need a better power supply, new cooler, or maybe a new motherboard that can support overclocking of this CPU more efficiently?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    I dont know much about AMDs but..

As far as i know 990FX chipset is the "good for OC" for AMD.

If your CPU actually went that low it would mean there is no electricity running through it :P As far as i know any temp below 20-25C is bad for the CPU..therefor its probably fake results as far as i know FX 8350 is on a high Vcore therefor temps below 30C are impossible for it as far as i know.

Check into the UEFI about the proper values and the lock ups during stressing means an unstable OC.
    Yes, the UEFI always showed much higher and more realistic temps, but it was hard for me to get a feel of those temps while overclocking and stress testing. I downloaded a program directly from ASrock that showed more realistic numbers, but i am still getting lockups before my thermal load limit.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.6GHZ | Nvidia GTX 1080 ASUS STRIX OC | MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming 5 | 16GB Cosair Vengence 2400 | 128GB Vertex 4 |3TB Seagate Barracuda | AX750 | Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | H110I Extreme Cooler | ASUS VS229H-P Black 21.5 IPS | AOC 1080p | Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 | Logitech g600 | Sennheiser HD558

15+ Year Old Account
    As far as i know, a lot of temperature monitoring programs have problems reading the correct values for some AMD cpu models. What i have had a few times is, that they show deltaT over ambient, but with ambient being the value another sensor on the motherboard reads. So if that other sensor is reading something like 40°C (which is normal for some places inside a case) and your cpu shows 45°C, then you actually have more like 85°C.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Quote Originally Posted by hitmanblood View Post
    Excellent i figured that may be the issue. So do you think that i most likely need a better power supply, new cooler, or maybe a new motherboard that can support overclocking of this CPU more efficiently?
    No I meant your CPU is probably already hitting the maximum of 75C and limiting your overclocking. You should figure out a way to see accurate temperatures before going any further with the overclocking attempts.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    No I meant your CPU is probably already hitting the maximum of 75C and limiting your overclocking. You should figure out a way to see accurate temperatures before going any further with the overclocking attempts.
    Thank you Vesseblah, Biernot, and Potis for the guidance, i will try to get some accurate temperature readings before i proceed with anymore tweaking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Asrock 970 is a solid mobo, but id about the phase count on it... It may only be a 4+2?(1)? A 990fx or x board would definitely be better suited for OC'n your chip. Whether or not any of that has to do with faulty readings in the program im not sure. I definitely would tone the OC down if not out completely til you got everything situated.
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo GPU: Sapphire Vega 64 w/ Morpheus cooler
    Mobo: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi ATX Ram: 4 x 16gb 3200 Gskill FlareX Case: Cosair Crystal 570X
    PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus 850w SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Blue 500gb Mouse: Logitech G600

Clocking the 8350 above what you already clocked it is difficult without watercooling tbh. It's like Vesseblah said; You are hitting your thermal limit and the only way to go over that is to buy a better CPU cooler. It's also important to remember your CPU might not have won the silicon lottery either and you might end up with never being able to go past 4.5 anyway.