Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    WoW gearing up for Microtransactions (of the F2P variety)



    WoW korea just added a 100% exp boost potion that costs ~0.93 USD, and lasts for one hour. I think this is pretty interesting, personally, but I won't say anything else either way. Take a look at this next link though...describes how it would be the best move for them given their revenue has dropped by 53% in the last 7 months.

    http://www.superdataresearch.com/blo...otransactions/

  2. #2
    I bet "randomsite#89" knows a lot more about Blizzards revenue than Blizard itself.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    I bet "randomsite#89" knows a lot more about Blizzards revenue than Blizard itself.
    Because Blizzard is totally 100% honest and upfront about everything.

  4. #4
    A: This isn't news. At all. Not even a little. Been known for months.
    B: I'm not about to trust some site with terrible math skills to tell me what Blizzards revenue is.

  5. #5
    I'm pretty sure this is only staying on Asian servers since they pay completely differently than everyone else.
    End SJW
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesane View Post
    I fucking hate this LGBT and gender equality shit invading video games.

  6. #6
    Field Marshal korrable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Moon!
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipzo View Post


    WoW korea just added a 100% exp boost potion that costs ~0.93 USD, and lasts for one hour. I think this is pretty interesting, personally, but I won't say anything else either way. Take a look at this next link though...describes how it would be the best move for them given their revenue has dropped by 53% in the last 7 months.

    http://www.superdataresearch.com/blo...otransactions/
    This is pretty old news.
    They had it up for testing on PTR.

    Signature by the lovely Rivele.
    My Monk, The Avatar

  7. #7
    Legendary! vindicatorx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    6,888
    It would be stupid on their parts to go FTP anytime soon. I know if they do go F2P I will never play WoW again.

  8. #8
    Titan Kangodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    13,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Stino View Post
    Because Blizzard is totally 100% honest and upfront about everything.
    Well, yeah.
    Because there are laws against fraud.

  9. #9
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    11,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipzo View Post
    Take a look at this next link though...describes how it would be the best move for them given their revenue has dropped by 53% in the last 7 months.
    Comparing total revenue for September of last year when they were pre-selling the expansion--remember it launched in late September??--with April of this year when they weren't selling expansions is the first clue that the article you quoted was written by someone that couldn't find their ass with both hands.

    As another example: Walmart--or just about any retailer--gains revenue during the Christmas season that is considerably higher than it is in July.

    Just think about it.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-09-23 at 06:17 AM.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

    It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

  10. #10
    Brewmaster Travio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canuckistan
    Posts
    1,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Stino View Post
    Because Blizzard is totally 100% honest and upfront about everything.
    Because it's legally required as a public company to be 100% honest and upfront with their shareholders during their reports, which we see every quarter.

  11. #11
    I am Murloc! Airwaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Australia! G-day Mate!... (We don't really speak like that)
    Posts
    5,722
    It is only for asian realms who pay different then eu, oceanic and us realms.
    Angels and Airwaves
    Aldmeri Dominion - Imperial - Templar - Laethys - High Elf - Assassin - Frostmourne - Orc - Rogue - Sea of Sorrows - Norn - Thief
    Borderlands 2 - Mechromancer - Battlefield 4 - Engineer - Diablo 3 - Wizard

  12. #12
    Well I had a quick look on through Activision Blizzard's investor site.

    In particular their SEC filings that AFAIK constitute a federal document for which they are dire and severe consequences for lying on.

    I have several issues with the linked article from Super Data Research

    1) It uses an odd choices of months to compare. April 2013 and November 2012

    Activision Blizzard only release GAAP Net Revenues by Segment/Platform Mix for three month periods , not separated out into one month periods.

    2) Why those two months ? The article was released in September 2013 where you have a selection of these quarterlies to use data from : End of June 2013 , End of March 2013 , End of December 2012 , End of September 2012

    3) Given that Activision Blizzard released revenue amounts include things like Call of Duty elite memberships , Skylander Toys and other Activision related sales how have they separated the Activision part out ?

    4) Looking at the quarterly reports & annual reports I have no idea where they're getting their figures from. According to :

    http://investor.activision.com/secfi...104659-13-8490

    Their online subscriptions revenue for the 3 months ending December 31 , 2012 was $285 Million , not the $612 million per that quarter as they would have you believe (IE If they've estimated April by taking the June 2013 amount and dividing by 3 it follows to reason that if they made $204 million in Nov 2012 , times that by 3 for the quarterly figure amount)

    AB's annual report :

    http://investor.activision.com/commo...ual_Report.pdf

    Lists their online subscriptions as $986 million for the entire year.

  13. #13
    Moderator Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    7,871
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipzo View Post


    WoW korea just added a 100% exp boost potion that costs ~0.93 USD, and lasts for one hour. I think this is pretty interesting, personally, but I won't say anything else either way. Take a look at this next link though...describes how it would be the best move for them given their revenue has dropped by 53% in the last 7 months.

    http://www.superdataresearch.com/blo...otransactions/
    This is old news. It's the XP bonus potion, though it will only be in asia for the time being. There's multiple other threads of this sort, some are rage and some are praise, but doesn't change the fact that it's not news.
    If you disapprove of moderation, seek an Admin or Global Moderator.
    Stuff can be fixed, just get enough glue or duct tape!
    R.I.P Project 'Titan' - My curious mind will still think of you!

  14. #14
    Over 9000! Arbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Draenor
    Posts
    9,003
    Months ago we had people freaking out about this & this was on the PTR for testing as when does Asia ever test stuff, It was said this was only for Asia & people though it was coming to US/EU yet there are no plans for it to come here.

    Asia is a totally different market than it is here, while this is accepted over there it isn't over here. But people will feed off any sort of information.

  15. #15
    IIRC They had a dev interview with a French site that said the in game store would be a good interface to their Blizzard store where they already sell mounts and pets on.

  16. #16
    Scarab Lord Mokoshne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    getting a coffee
    Posts
    4,487
    it is news that it is going live in an official way, so that's good.

    Microtransactions are paving the way for F2P and whether thats good or bad for the future of WoW is open to some discussion.
    My weekly podcast can be downloaded here this week we discuss Bill Cosby

  17. #17
    High Overlord Freeasacar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    it is news that it is going live in an official way, so that's good.

    Microtransactions are paving the way for F2P and whether thats good or bad for the future of WoW is open to some discussion.
    If you look at some of the blue posts from around the time the head items were added to the Blizzard store, they state that they were an experiment to see how selling gear in the store would be reacted to in the Western market and realized afterwards that it was a mistake. They also mentioned that the f2p model wouldn't suit the way WoW was designed. Of course that doesn't mean it won't ever come to that. Just look at how different the game is now from Vanilla and tell me to my face that such a change wouldn't be viable.

    Also on the subject of f2p I heard some discussion on a podcast that made me realize something the other day. The guy talking hadn't played since the Vanilla/TBC days and had to quit WoW because he was screwing up his life by playing so much. He ruminated that as soon as WoW's subscription numbers drop below a certain point, Blizzard will have the f2p model pre-loaded and ready to be activated on the PTR with the flick of a switch. A game with this much money behind it NEEDS to have a fail-safe if things start heading into a downward spiral, though at the moment we are simply seeing a decline. Scary to think about but it could easily happen.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Stino View Post
    Because Blizzard is totally 100% honest and upfront about everything.
    If this is how you feel then stop playing their games and stop paying for their products and move the fuck on already. Jesus christ enough is enough.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    This is old news. It's the XP bonus potion, though it will only be in asia for the time being. There's multiple other threads of this sort, some are rage and some are praise, but doesn't change the fact that it's not news.
    Seriously? Not one but two mods have posted in this thread and you yourself even state that this thread is spam and you leave it open. There are no words for how completely nonsensical this is. With all due respect isn't part of a moderator's duties to close spam threads? This kind of thing is happening far, far too often.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Well, yeah.
    Because there are laws against fraud.
    LOL, like that's a valid point in this debate. I could twist every sentence Blizzard says and turn it any direction I want. That's what happens when you let PR people run your company. Not saying you're wrong about them being honest or dishonest. Just saying "fraud" is something that doesn't apply to the game industry, really. Jesus Christ... get back to earth. Slinging around buzzwords. Disgusting.

    On that note: Korea is not EU/West. When will people get that message. However dishonest you think Blizzard is, they have never made a secret of their intentions with Korea or the asian market. The culture is different, gaming behaviour is different. And Blizzard always took the stance that special circumstances require special treatment. So whatever crazy you see happening in Korea does not translate to the rest of WoW. Christ, get real people...

  20. #20
    Old God Hyve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    10,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Stino View Post
    Because Blizzard is totally 100% honest and upfront about everything.
    Blizzard is a company, it is illegal for them to lie about their profits. The shareholders would sue if they were being told false information, and the various agencies set up to combat business corruption would shut them down ...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •