Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
  1. #41
    Scarab Lord Mokoshne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    getting a coffee
    Posts
    4,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    No doubt this is coming to the US if subs don't pick up into the start of next expansion.
    i don't think subs will matter, it's coming regardless. It makes too much financial sense. Blizz will keep their subscription model going as long as they can and have these microtransactions as well. Why wouldn't you?
    My weekly podcast can be downloaded here this week we discuss Bill Cosby

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    i don't think subs will matter, it's coming regardless. It makes too much financial sense. Blizz will keep their subscription model going as long as they can and have these microtransactions as well. Why wouldn't you?
    Well they did openly say that they feel it won't fit in well with the western world at all, so there's that.

  3. #43
    Fluffy Kitten Thage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground
    Posts
    10,554
    Blizzard is taking WoW free-play in the Asian markets (most notably China, Taiwan, and Korea) because of the market differences overseas. In Asia, pay-to-play as a business model is rapidly dying while cash-shop free-play only grows in popularity every year. Many Asian free-play MMOs that tanked in the US remain extremely popular in China and Korea, because they offer a la carte content and players can buy what content they desire and experience it when they want, without having to worry about paying for game time.

    That being said, they also noted that they are looking at free-play options for the Western markets, again due to the surge of pay-to-play MMOs going free-play and seeing a surge in players and revenue, but only have any intention of doing so if they are 100% sure it will be a superior move to the current sub model in terms of revenue stream and content delivery.

    Awesome sig by Elyaan is awesome.

  4. #44
    Warchief Redpanda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Searching for the Old Gods
    Posts
    2,120
    im trying to read the article from this site and it says no where that its going f2p just doing some comparisons. :\ say be falling...i guess
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

  5. #45
    Baby steps are the path to acceptance. Get it out there, let players discuss and debate it. Get people used to the idea. Make small seemingly insignificant changes. Before you know it they will be selling all kinds of things in the store, people will be paying for a sub, buying the latest gear etc... etc... etc... After the initial outrage people will continue on as usual. Not saying I'm for it, because I'm definitely not but until players are willing to put their money where there mouth is and say "we don't want this now, we don't want this ever, and we aren't going to pay you if you do this" then it will happen. People are already over the initial outrage from the pet store and happily buying things, not seeing as how this will be any different.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    Baby steps are the path to acceptance. Get it out there, let players discuss and debate it. Get people used to the idea. Make small seemingly insignificant changes. Before you know it they will be selling all kinds of things in the store, people will be paying for a sub, buying the latest gear etc... etc... etc... After the initial outrage people will continue on as usual. Not saying I'm for it, because I'm definitely not but until players are willing to put their money where there mouth is and say "we don't want this now, we don't want this ever, and we aren't going to pay you if you do this" then it will happen. People are already over the initial outrage from the pet store and happily buying things, not seeing as how this will be any different.
    also known as 'how to boil a frog.' it works, and that is why companies do it. they are patient, they can plan out years with incremental steps, etc.

    the one thing i don' see is FTP, ever or at least not within many years. as far as ftp/china, has netease given any indication they plan to do this?
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, John Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Agatha Christie, Steven Erikson & Ian Esslemont, Stephen R Donaldon, and recently Jack L Chalker.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Yes. But what you're not seeing is that anyone - even a company - is entitled to change their opinion. And that doesn't make it a fraud. No one from Blizzard ever said that they would never change their strategy. All they ever said is that they were not thinking about it at that time. How so many people miss that nuance is beyond me. They always leave a backdoor open. Read their blue posts, it's a genius compilation of back doors. Everyone of the bigger ones that are about WoW business strategy or development. Key phrases like "At this time" or "in the future, we may" are quite worth a drinking game.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Oh but it is, because to pamper their numbers they do actually count more than just "paid subs". They include all the asian accounts, of which none are subscription based as you know it. Now what? You have your definition of "players playing the game", they have theirs. And while I - nor anyone else - know exactly what the basis for their numbers are, I - and others - are fairly sure it's not just "paid subs". Because honest to god, without Asia, WoW never had close to 10 million paid subs. Ever.
    Subscription numbers aren't opinion. It isn't some nebulous thing that can't be pinned down. Go look at ATVI's last quarterly report and you will see it quite clearly and explicitly states how Wow subscription numbers are handled. As per SEC regulations this kind of information has to be 100% accurate or Blizzard executives risk prison time and significant fines not to mention the fact it puts ATVI's whole operation at risk. Seriously just stop with this nonsense you are only making yourself look quite ignorant.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    There is a huge difference between telling your customers one thing and then doing another, such as saying there will be no transfers from PVE to PVP realms and then allowing them, and what you are talking about. One is fraud the other is changing policy.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Really? Is there any Blue post or Tweet from a Blizzard employee that backs this up?
    I know of at least two different threads where you have asked for this proof that Blizzard said these types of items are unlikely to ever appear in the NA/EU cash shops only for you to immediately dismiss it and then ask for the same proof yet again in subsequent threads. Just stop. You aren't fooling anyone here.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    We knew this was coming to WoW Asia since 5.4 went on the PTR.

    No doubt this is coming to the US if subs don't pick up into the start of next expansion.
    Except for one little problem: Blizzard has said NA/EU markets aren't nearly as receptive of these types of items in cash shops as evidenced by the reception of the transmog helms they started selling. It doesn't matter anyway because the amount of subscriptions required for an mmo to remain profitable are well below 1 million and Wow won't be getting to that point for many years.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    Blizzard is taking WoW free-play in the Asian markets (most notably China, Taiwan, and Korea) because of the market differences overseas. In Asia, pay-to-play as a business model is rapidly dying while cash-shop free-play only grows in popularity every year. Many Asian free-play MMOs that tanked in the US remain extremely popular in China and Korea, because they offer a la carte content and players can buy what content they desire and experience it when they want, without having to worry about paying for game time.

    That being said, they also noted that they are looking at free-play options for the Western markets, again due to the surge of pay-to-play MMOs going free-play and seeing a surge in players and revenue, but only have any intention of doing so if they are 100% sure it will be a superior move to the current sub model in terms of revenue stream and content delivery.
    Wow isn't going free to play anywhere. Those of you who continually make these claims don't seem to be able to comprehend the fact that mmos are still profitable with significantly less subscribers than Wow has currently. They could lose all but 500k subscribers and the game would continue to make a profit, just on a smaller scale.

  8. #48
    Herald of the Titans Sibut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,736
    Not really sure why anyone would care. I wouldn't pay $1/hour for 100% bonus xp, but I honestly don't care if others would. It's not like you couldn't pay $20 for an extra account, tie it to your main, and get 300% extra xp for 3 months now which is a much better rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Come to Detroit for the beer and crumbling architecture.

    Stay in Detroit because someone stole your passport.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    Baby steps are the path to acceptance. Get it out there, let players discuss and debate it. Get people used to the idea. Make small seemingly insignificant changes. Before you know it they will be selling all kinds of things in the store, people will be paying for a sub, buying the latest gear etc... etc... etc... After the initial outrage people will continue on as usual. Not saying I'm for it, because I'm definitely not but until players are willing to put their money where there mouth is and say "we don't want this now, we don't want this ever, and we aren't going to pay you if you do this" then it will happen. People are already over the initial outrage from the pet store and happily buying things, not seeing as how this will be any different.
    Blizzard has been selling all kinds of things in the Blizzard store for years. This isn't new. At all. There is certainly nothing to be outraged over. Again do you people bitch to your cable company for not including premium channels in your basic cable package? After all they should be included in the basic package and not sold for extra right? Right?

  10. #50
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Welcome to the Metachronopolis!
    Posts
    12,029
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Wow isn't going free to play anywhere. Those of you who continually make these claims don't seem to be able to comprehend the fact that mmos are still profitable with significantly less subscribers than Wow has currently. They could lose all but 500k subscribers and the game would continue to make a profit, just on a smaller scale.
    This rather misses the larger business point which is that WoW pays for a lot of things including Blizzard non-game infrastructure. In truth, it might be possible to be profitable with 500K subscribers but it would be a very different Blizzard with all sorts of consequences for all of their games, including WoW. You don't just strip that much revenue out of a company without some profound changes. I personally think we're still a long way away from WoW being F2P but it wouldn't surprise me a lot to see some sort of expansion of the free game--like maybe F2P for 1-80 or higher while end game is still one or two expansions, i.e. 5-15 levels beyond that.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-09-26 at 01:04 AM.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

    It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    I know of at least two different threads where you have asked for this proof that Blizzard said these types of items are unlikely to ever appear in the NA/EU cash shops only for you to immediately dismiss it and then ask for the same proof yet again in subsequent threads. Just stop. You aren't fooling anyone here.
    This is not true, why do you lie to defend Blizzard? I have seen nothing from Blizzard that says the experience potion is unlikely to ever appear in the Western cash shop only that there are no plans at present and all the comments I have read from Blizzard regarding this item have been pretty opened ended and most certainly leave the door open for it to sold in the West in the future. Perhaps you could link a post where they actually say it is unlikely to ever to be sold in the West instead of directing veiled insults towards me?

    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Wow isn't going free to play anywhere. Those of you who continually make these claims don't seem to be able to comprehend the fact that mmos are still profitable with significantly less subscribers than Wow has currently. They could lose all but 500k subscribers and the game would continue to make a profit, just on a smaller scale.
    As Moanalisa has pointed out it is unlikely that Blizzard could maintain development of their other titles with 500k subscribers. It appears that you are saying you are saying that they are taking the money from almost eight million subscribers and only investing the equivalent of the income from less than 500k back into WOW, what are they doing with the money from the other 7 million?
    Last edited by Pann; 2013-09-26 at 08:08 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •