Poll: Is there any good excuse to act like an Elitist?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is there ANY excuse to act like an Elitist?

This is about real life and online. Do you believe that there is any excuse to act like an Elitist? To have a bloated ego? to act and think as if you are superior to the average person? We all have a degree of pride, but expressing pride such as "I saved XXXX amount of lives in Africa with my charity" Im totally awesome. or "I did top DPS the entire raid XD" is different from acting or pretending you are "superior" to others, and others are "inferior".
    definition of elitist: There are variations in the definition, but they all typically point to treating/consider other people as lesser as a person than yourself. In other words, looking down/stepping on others.
    (of a person or class of persons) considered superior by others OR by themselves, as in intellect, talent, power, wealth, or position in society: elitist country clubbers who have theirs and don't care about anybody else.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/elitist

There are some pretty notable people who have contributed plenty to this world, hold a huge level of pride, but do not act as if they are superior to everyone else. Bill Gates, Martin Luther King Jr, and Aneurin Bevan. NONE of these men treat/talk to their people as if they are below them despite their virtues and gifts to society. Even if you are these people, I don't think it's a good excuse being it could be used against you and damages you reputation, and potentially harm your cause.
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2013-09-24 at 09:56 PM.

Depends to what degree. We're all guilty of some degree of pride.

If we all truly deflated our egos to reflect our place in this infinite universe, or even just among the billions of other humans, we'd probably all have depression or kill ourselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    Elitists are just dicks, simplez

10+ Year Old Account
    What's your definition of "elitist"? Is it someone who behaves arrogantly towards you simply because you're new to the game, or is it someone who wants to play better than you, but isn't necessarily rude in the process?

Quote Originally Posted by Santoryu View Post
    What's your definition of "elitist"? Is it someone who behaves arrogantly towards you simply because you're new to the game, or is it someone who wants to play better than you, but isn't necessarily rude in the process?
    arrogant member of a society, does not necessarily need to be in game, could exist in the work place or within a family.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=elitist

10+ Year Old Account
    Human evolution and survival of the fittest. The superior people have always lived long enough to reproduce. It is only in the last few 100 years that the less superior have lived a full life. Because of this I think its is fine to act like an elitist IF (key word IF) you are superior. Physically, mentally, health wise and where you are in life.
    Aye mate

Really, really, really depends on what your working definition of "elitist" is. Untrammeled populism is just as awful as untrammeled elitism. Fortunately, despite what each side of the debate would have you think, you need not choose only one. You are allowed to take pride in your skill, just as you are allowed to put aside that pride to do something for other people.

I have no real problem with people acting elitist if they earned it, whether it's online or in real life. If guilds that full clear heroic raids in the first 2 weeks want to act elitist then go for it, they've obviously proved they are very good at the game and they deserve the title. If someone like Warren Buffet wants to act elitist that's fine, he's one of the richest men on Earth and he did it from a young age with investments. I have no problem with that, he's proven he's elite enough to be above other people.

It's only a problem when scrubs think they're good and act elitist. That's annoying. Like the gangster that brags about being shot and stabbed, or the LFR hero that thinks he's amazing. Those people annoy me. If you're actually good at what you do I really have no problem with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasuya View Post
    arrogant member of a society, does not necessarily need to be in game, could exist in the work place or within a family.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=elitist
    I am asking only because people, who are not in favor of content being nerfed and simply want to beat the content at its original difficulty, are being labelled as elitits, even if they are constructive in their approach.

Deleted
    Yes, yes, there is.

WoW switching its target to a casuals/baddies-friendly environment has lead the community to harboring lots and lots of unskilled players, fully convinced of being good. Said players will then plague respectful guilds and be recruited, because the line has been lowered so much thay are now considered "good".
    You are forced to play in raids or arenas with the unavoidable batch of really unskilled morons (who, right now,a re just considered mediocre, rather than trash), and keeping your mouth shut will be required, since they are guildies.
    If this doesn't lead to becoming an elitist and whipping idiots when you can afford it without retaliation, I really don't know what could push you to such a behavior.

Reinstate Dungeon Set 2, Baron Runs and a couple of Attunements, then maybe people will have some respect for the guy with subpar dps/healing/tanking skills. I know I would: being able to survive such demanding requisites, means that a less skilled player has ample room for improving and can be helped. Showing up with full LFR gear and 10k dps? Sorry, little guy, even my grandma could reach your level through luck and inertia. Either show me that you really pushed yourself, or I'll just assume you are unskilled, and move on. People aren't going to potentially waste a couple of months if they aren't provided with proof of your determination.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasuya View Post
    This is about real life and online. Do you believe that there is any excuse to act like an Elitist? To have a bloated ego? to act and think as if you are superior to the average person? We all have a degree of pride, but expressing pride is different from acting or pretending you are "superior" to others.
    definition of elitist:
    (of a person or class of persons) considered superior by others OR by themselves, as in intellect, talent, power, wealth, or position in society: elitist country clubbers who have theirs and don't care about anybody else.
    catering to or associated with an elitist class, its ideologies, or its institutions: Even at such a small, private college, Latin and Greek are under attack as too elitist. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/elitist
    There are some pretty notable people who have contributed plenty to this world, hold a huge level of pride, but do not act as if they are superior to everyone else. Bill Gates, Martin Luther King Jr, and Aneurin Bevan.
    Is there an excuse? Who cares really? There are plenty of ways people act that get on people's nerves. I'm not cocky or an "elitist" by any means. But I would prefer to deal with someone who is cocky or elitist over someone who is passive/aggressive, bitchy and hypocritical.

I see it all the time on these forums and on the official forums. The passive/aggressive people who don't stick up for themselves irl use the internet to do it against people that have no part to play in their head games. Like the "Lawlz, Blood Legion, no life neckbeards losers." Those kinds of posts. But these same people will be the ones crying on the forums because someone in a dungeon was mean to them. And they'll justify it all day long. And they'll act superior. But at the end of the day, these people are worse. Because they're underhanded and shady.
    Last edited by Last Starfighter; 2013-09-23 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Santoryu View Post
    I am asking only because people, who are not in favor of content being nerfed and simply want to beat the content at its original difficulty, are being labelled as elitits, even if they are constructive in their approach.
    I don't consider them elitists, that's just being pro-challenging content which is different : )

Someone hurt your feelings? Need some comfort? What's the point of this thread? lol

Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-09-23 at 01:10 PM.

Elitism is pointless and serves no purpose besides creating disharmony, anger, arrogance, ignorance, sadness, etc. It's a petty human flaw where you need to convince yourself that you're good by telling it to others, making you feel better about yourself at the cost of others.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2013-09-23 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Someone hurt your feelings? Need some comfort? What's the point of this thread? lol
    I'm just curious people's take on attitude towards elitist behavior. I'm curious as to whether people agree/disagree with the notion that those who truly possess exceptional skill and/or contributed largely to the society would justify acting as a superior to others.

Don't think it's a good idea to act in that way even if you would be Bill Gates for the matter is that those who are skeptical of your actions would use that as an opportunistic strike.

yes there is. Even in real life at the hospital I work at, I can see doctors picking on other doctors. The surgeons with more experience or the ones who have studied more are more arogant against the clumsy ones who mess up ocasionally.
    Its basicly how team work goes everywhere and not just in games, people that are good at something prefer to work/play with other equally skilled players and get annoyed when they have to cary some one.

Deleted
    You're not to think you are anything special.
    You're not to think you are as good as us.
    You're not to think you are smarter than us.
    You're not to convince yourself that you are better than us.
    You're not to think you know more than us.
    You're not to think you are more important than us.
    You're not to think you are good at anything.
    You're not to laugh at us.
    You're not to think anyone cares about you.
    You're not to think you can teach us anything.

Quote Originally Posted by veehro View Post
    yes there is. Even in real life at the hospital I work at, I can see doctors picking on other doctors. The surgeons with more experience or the ones who have studied more are more arogant against the clumsy ones who mess up ocasionally.
    Its basicly how team work goes everywhere and not just in games, people that are good at something prefer to work/play with other equally skilled players and get annoyed when they have to cary some one.
    There's no excuse. There's just an explanation which is "people are flawed".

Yes, dealing with bottom feeders is really annoying even if you ignore it 99% of the time.
    Stay salty my friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends, people like to call anyone who criticizes someone else an elitist when in reality they are being blunt and saying improve, on the other hand there are the jerks but they are not elitist because most of them suck too.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.