Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Sun song ranch (judging the most valuable materials to grow)

I am an airhead, so some one explain to me how to judge what generally tends to provide the most gold per plot of land farmed in Sunsong ranch. is there a way use to Auction House prices/statistics to judge the relative value of Golden Lotuses/Trillium Ore/whatever in terms of a gold/farm-plot?

I have three characters that have opened up all 16 slots
    I have tended to prefer planting Enigma Seeds in order to get Golden Lotuses, but perhaps the trillium ores from snake roots will be more valuable? basically i have been farming blindly, and i want to start farming more rationally.

It seems that Motes of harmony and windwool are really easy to AoE farm at Lion's Landing/Domination Point, and Leather is really easy to farm on the Timeless Isle.

is there a way use to Auction House prices/statistics to judge the relative value of Golden Lotuses/Trillium Ore/whatever in terms of a gold/farm-plot?
    Last edited by Grubjuice; 2013-09-23 at 06:26 PM.

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

Watch the AH over the week for trillium bars, ores, living steel bars (belt buckles if you have a smith) golden lotus, flasks, and blue quality gems. Watch the price differences between the related products (lotus to gem to flask, for example). That should give a rough idea of relative value.

Remember that the Snakeroot is a treacherous fiend. It will almost never give you a good split of white:black ore and you might not get a living steel every day (if that is the most profitable form of selling it).

I've had very good time using 2 farms for enigma seeds and 1 for snakeroot. I average about 2 steel every 3 days and have a good turnover for flasks and gems.

As a LW, I generally plant Raptorleaf, and then the odd Songbell for motes if I'm running short. Gives me a steady stream of Leg enchants and Hardened Hide... I get most motes from the Isle, but without Skinning I need to get my Leather from somewhere.

My alts however, just plant Enigma.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    You could just plant Enigma and muy more Leather from AH than Raptorleaf seeds give.. although it also would include slightly more effort.
    I'm all about less effort

Honestly, I find Gold a burden these days, and have gone full on "self sufficient" mode. I don't make much, but I don't spend much either. Used to flip the AH back in TBC/Wrath, got sick of it, tried the TSM route for a while moving glyphs/enchants... can't be bothered anymore.

I used to plant Snakeroot on the farm for Ores, and now have a bank full of raw gems for my JC to cut when I get an upgrade, and every green goes to my enchanter for DE to provide my own enchants.

Deleted
    engima so far has been the best moneymaker for.
    the golden lotus currently tend too sell 65-85g on my realms AH, and getting 2-6+ a day means i can easily buy the needed mats i else would get from other special crops.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kind of just use different seeds for each character I farm with:

Paladin: Motes because I can't be bothered to farm for those at Lion's Landing. That and 3 spirits every 2 days = something I can get mats to craft with blacksmithing or can just throw it at 2 golden lotus per spirit if need be.

Monk: Herbs for Golden Lotus.

Warlock: Cloth because, again, can't be bothered to farm cloth. Gets me celestial cloth and imperial silk per day.

Hunter: Leather because, again, can't be bothered to farm for it. Lets me make a magnificent leather --> hardened hide every day so it works.

Rogue and Warrior: Ore even though I'd much prefer ghost iron than trillium ore since I have a transmute spec'd alchemist. Will probably send said ore to JCer to prospect or send amount needed to transmute a living steel.

After that, each day if need be I'll just fly around on Paladin and gather remaining ghost iron to transmute to trillium, then living steel. Then give leftover ore to provide 2 engineers with Jard's energy source and my paladin blacksmith with balanced trillium ingots and lightning steel stuff.

Then slap all golden lotus earned/bought with spirits or some other way to Druid, transmute blue quality gems since flasks don't sell for much on my server compared to gems. This is just from literally farming on the farm and the occasional flying around to get ghost iron. About 30 mins. total per day to yield a pretty hefty amount of gold over time, especially if demand for 502 weapons or other gear is high. Said 502 weapons still sell for a lot on my server so there's that.

In short: I'm lazy and make a decent profit by doing what I typed.
    Last edited by Ryuji; 2013-09-28 at 08:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    Why your Paladin not plants Songbells when you need Spirits of Harmony and Enigma when you need Golden Lotus? You would have more Golden Lotus + random normal Herbs as opposed to converting Songbells to Golden Lotus.
    Don't need golden lotus on him. I use the spirits mainly to craft blacksmithing stuff. I just meant I could convert it to lotus if I wanted which I don't usually do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

It probably depends on your servers economy but as a general rule of thumb Enigma seeds will always be a winner if you don't need motes. On my sever Golden Lotus sells for around 70g and I have had up to 7 grow at any one time. That buys an awful lot of trillium, leather etc.

4 farms all planting enigma seeds and selling the herbs and lotus generally gets me 500 to 2000 g a day depending on how many GL I get

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sul View Post
    4 farms all planting enigma seeds and selling the herbs and lotus generally gets me 500 to 2000 g a day depending on how many GL I get
    This is what I'm doing too, it's good money for the little work.

11 farms, with enigma seeds would generally net me about 4-4.5k gold daily. I transitioned over to snakeroot farming and converting the trillium into living steel with my 5 transmute alchemists, I'm generally able to pull in the same 4-4.5k gold daily with some notable exceptions with lucky procs (made 7.5k yesterday).

im not sure what to do. i might switch over to enigma seeds as well. atm i got 5 farms ( plus one main just for windshear cloth seeds for my lock) but i was planting snakeroot since i have 2 xmute master alchemists + a miner to make ghost iron barbs/ trillium bars on my account. living steel is 600g each on Sargeras US but thats only 1200 a day. golden lotuses are around 60-70g each by comparison but honestly idk if i need to get one of my other 90s alchemy so he can be a flask master as well. are enigma seeds x5 really that worth it? vs snakeroot x5

Deleted
    unless you have 10 char farming it doesnt really matter. Gaining 500g or 300g a day is the same thing.

If you have a level 90 skinner, there is truly no point in using farm plots for leather. In a really short time on Timeless Isle you can have 3-6 stacks of leather, without even killing anything. Snakes, turtles, ox - most of the time people kill them, loot, and leave. Just run around and skin.

Enigma seed for sure offer the best time spent/profit gained ratio, as selling the herbs almost gives as much profit as selling finished products from them (flasks, gems, glyphs/shoulder enchants) with almost no risk of being severly undercut and not selling them.
    Last edited by Puri; 2013-10-12 at 01:02 PM.

6 farms here, I'm making 100k a month from enigma seeds+transmute master (uncut vermilion onyx goes for 90-100g on my realm), i did stock on cheap tiger opal before patch hit, so your profit may be lower depending on tiger opal prices. I'd probably make even more if i can be bothered to cut gems myself, but i cba to stay at AH entire day and undercut people, cut gem market is insanely competitive.

im usually going for a smooth supply+no farm

character 1: cloth, make celestials/imperial
    character 2: ore, for 502 crafted weps/new BS items
    character 3+: motes, so I always have enough for extra crafting.

id suggest getting an addon like auctionator or tradeskillsmaster so you can keep track of where the price was/is going and make better informed decisions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cudomix View Post
    6 farms here, I'm making 100k a month from enigma seeds+transmute master (uncut vermilion onyx goes for 90-100g on my realm), i did stock on cheap tiger opal before patch hit, so your profit may be lower depending on tiger opal prices. I'd probably make even more if i can be bothered to cut gems myself, but i cba to stay at AH entire day and undercut people, cut gem market is insanely competitive.
    You are a lier.

Let's say you're gaining 5 lotus for each farm a day (it seems to be the average).
    5*6*30 = 900

Now let's say you buy the green gems at 20g each. 900*20=18000
    Now let's add transmuc proc at ~15%. You will get 1035 gems.
    Let's say you sell them 95 on average.

1035*95-18000=80325. And that's taking into account optimal selling price for the blue gem. And that's not taking into account auction fee/enigma seeds prices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apart from where he said he stocked on cheap green gems, so that 18k you took off isn't entirely accurate.

Nor do you know the transmute proc chance, 1 guy for example on wowhead comments did around 1200 crafts and had 20% (ish) extra gems.
    Last edited by Rixis; 2013-10-12 at 01:45 PM.

Deleted
    Actually to be more accurate, let's take the other costs into account.
    ~4000 golds of fee
    ~2000 golds of seeds

we're now at 74k gold using perfectly average numbers. Except for the blue gem, on my realm is more like 80g.

So 25% lower than the initial statement. Which is huge.