Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    ele is a nightmare to level
    My experience was similar when I started the game (just when it launched) and decided to roll Ele. Mind you my Ele is 80 now so I have no idea how all the changes have affected leveling.

All I remember is that from lvl 1-20 I was getting DESTROYED, veteran mobs were impossible. I wasn't familiar with dodging mechanic (fresh WoW player anyone?) and the weapons you start off with (scepter+focus I think?) are fairly short-range. Things got a lot easier once I was lvl 20+, grabbed a staff and learned to kite...but it's still fairly easy to get squished if you're not careful. Meanwhile all the heavy classes can just face-tank/heal incoming damage (hardly ever dodging) and the other ranged classes have tons of mechanics to kite, CC, pet tanks/clones, etc.

Overall Ele really wasn't the glass-cannon "mage class" I was expecting at all, more like a glass-meh. I needed to work a harder to get the most out of abilities, long cooldown timers between attunements felt like a massive hindrance (other classes can just faceroll with a 2-3 abilities), I needed to dodge/kite a lot more, and the damage output really didn't compensate for all that shit.

It was only later when I rolled an Engineer I realized I was outputting the same fucking damage with my rifle's AUTO ATTACK on top of having the perfect kiting tools (knockback + immobilize on short CD)...all with 1 weapon. If you want a much easier class to level, try literally any other class...Ele is just flat-out unforgiving and frustrating to start off GW2 with.

(Off-topic: Ele is also absolutely miserable in PvP right now, voted by far the worst class by most of the community).
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-09-27 at 02:46 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Black Lion Chest key. They are bloody unheard of at later levels
    fixed that for ya.

in all seriousness tho, when was the last time anyone saw one of these keys drop? i have been doing the old "human ranger" grind to get the 50 keys i needed for the boxes i built up getting to 80, and got it down to 25 in the process as well as playing my 80 virtually every day. not seen a key drop anywhere in all that time.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

I have never seen a BLC key drop and I have played since beta. The only times I've gotten them are from the personal story, getting a zone 100% complete reward, and from opening a BL Chest. But otherwise I have never seen it actually drop from killing an enemy or from any other reward chest.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I have never seen a BLC key drop and I have played since beta. The only times I've gotten them are from the personal story, getting a zone 100% complete reward, and from opening a BL Chest. But otherwise I have never seen it actually drop from killing an enemy or from any other reward chest.
    You've never gotten another key out of the chest itself? That happens to me all the time. I often get to open btw 3-5 chests with one key.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    You've never gotten another key out of the chest itself? That happens to me all the time. I often get to open btw 3-5 chests with one key.
    I said I got them from opening a black lion chest, but not from any other chest in the game.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I said I got them from opening a black lion chest, but not from any other chest in the game.
    I clearly need coffee.
    BAD WOLF

I clearly need coffee.
    /pours coffee on kitty (iced coffee of course)

It's funny to me that Ele was a hard class to level. It was my second class to 80, and I don't remember having any issues with it. Of course, I didn't make her until Aprilish, so that might have something to do with it. I have a lot more issues with my mesmer, but I think that has more to do with she just annoys me. Every time she says "This rose has thorns, and HERE the are!" I want to stab her ><

- - - Updated - - -

I clearly need coffee.
    /pours coffee on kitty (iced coffee of course)

It's funny to me that Ele was a hard class to level. It was my second class to 80, and I don't remember having any issues with it. Of course, I didn't make her until Aprilish, so that might have something to do with it. I have a lot more issues with my mesmer, but I think that has more to do with she just annoys me. Every time she says "This rose has thorns, and HERE the are!" I want to stab her ><

I haven't had any issues with any of the professions. Some level a bit faster than others but none have been difficult.

Well actually Guardian has been difficult for me, but not difficult in the game sense but difficult because I just don't like the class. Except for hammer skill #4, that one never gets old.

I haven't had any issues with any of the professions. Some level a bit faster than others but none have been difficult.
    I made an elementalist early on and it was just a deathfest of failing to do even the simplest things. I think it was just not having experience with the game. When a friend of mine started, he made an elementalist and I told him to level a warrior first, but he insisted on running the elementalist and complaining every time he died. Finally he switched to a warrior and liked the game a lot better.

I've since leveled an elementalist with no where near the same issues, as has he, but as a first class they can be tough, IMO. (I mean, to contrast with a WoW mage, you basically fry stuff before it reaches you at most levels of gameplay.)

Well actually Guardian has been difficult for me, but not difficult in the game sense but difficult because I just don't like the class. Except for hammer skill #4, that one never gets old.
    Yeah, smacking folks with the aetherblade hammer is probably the only joy I have on my guardian. I haven't really looked at spec'd or playstyles with her, because I just don't care for the class much.

I can run around on my thief for hours, amusing myself with two smoking pistols though.

Deleted
    Yea man, mesmer and ele are so much harder to level compared to everyone else in the beginning it's not even funny. They pick up nicely later, but god those early levels... I d reroll just for the appearance issue, it's major in these games where you spend a lot of time looking at yourself.

What he said. My mesmer picked up around 10-15 but 40 is the real point of awesomeness. My ele is my squishiest toon (most are 10-30 with a few outliers) but she's low level (15?) and I'm over aggressive. Do some crafting once in awhile for the xp and when combat gets you down, do some full maps of the racial cities.

Might also be worth your time to check some elemental videos on youtube to see if the playstyles that become available are what you're looking for or not.

Also, there's always following the Queensdale champ train. Stay at range and toss whatever spells you want, collect loot and keep running in circles. I do that whenever I don't feel like playing by myself and just want an easy, no-stress ride to some XP and stuff.