10+ Year Old Account

Fake Review Sting

In a sting operation, the New York Attorney General caught 19 companies taking money to write fake reviews for products on websites like Yelp.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...0HJ39820130923

Do you think writing fake reviews on sites like Yelp and Urban Spoon and Amazon should be illegal, and if so, what sort of sentence should it carry?

I personally consider it fraud, but I'd call it a misdemeanor. Maybe a $50 fine per offense for people caught accepting money to write a fake review, payable by the person, not the company. Then an additional $500 per offense for the company.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that is pretty shady and low to do that. I am ok with the conditions you set. I mean I shouldn't be surprised but at the same time people shouldn't be getting away with this crap.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    In a sting operation, the New York Attorney General caught 19 companies taking money to write fake reviews for products on websites like Yelp.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...0HJ39820130923

Do you think writing fake reviews on sites like Yelp and Urban Spoon and Amazon should be illegal, and if so, what sort of sentence should it carry?

I personally consider it fraud, but I'd call it a misdemeanor. Maybe a $50 fine per offense for people caught accepting money to write a fake review, payable by the person, not the company. Then an additional $500 per offense for the company.
    if it positive reviewing i dont really know tbh. i think it's shitty and deceptive, but i dont know if it should be falling under legislation - unless it is considered a form of false advertising?

if it is negative reviewing it absolutely should be punished, and punished hard imo. that type of thing can wreck a business, and should be considered slander or such
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Some of these companies are so large that if you could only prove a handful or fake reviews that the penalty wouldn't be high enough to stop them from doing it again. They wouldn't fine a company so high that it would go out of business just high enough to make them go Ouch.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reviewers are at fault, not the bribers.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame6 View Post
    Some of these companies are so large that if you could only prove a handful or fake reviews that the penalty wouldn't be high enough to stop them from doing it again. They wouldn't fine a company so high that it would go out of business just high enough to make them go Ouch.
    Yes, but finding a company doing these shady things puts them in a bad light, which in turn makes some people stop buying from them. Even if the direct monetary loss is not substantial, the indirect losses would be a lot larger presumably.

10+ Year Old Account
    While it's a terrible business practice, I cannot justify punishing them for it. It's their websites, they can write whatever they want on them. I firmly believe in internet freedom, and this law would diminish that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    While it's a terrible business practice, I cannot justify punishing them for it. It's their websites, they can write whatever they want on them. I firmly believe in internet freedom, and this law would diminish that.
    internet freedom doesn't cover fraudulent claims that intend to mislead the public in general. Fake reviews on those sites would be the same as a fake review in a newspaper or on TV. There has to be some accountability or the whole system is pointless and should just be removed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetis View Post
    internet freedom doesn't cover fraudulent claims that intend to mislead the public in general. Fake reviews on those sites would be the same as a fake review in a newspaper or on TV. There has to be some accountability or the whole system is pointless and should just be removed.
    Personally, I'm willing to make that sacrifice. The government keeps trying to take more and more ground on the internet. We need to halt that advance. And I don't know where you live, but I doubt you want the US government having absolute dominion over the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Personally, I'm willing to make that sacrifice. The government keeps trying to take more and more ground on the internet. We need to halt that advance. And I don't know where you live, but I doubt you want the US government having absolute dominion over the internet.
    The internet is just a medium. I don't want them to have total control over the medium any more than I want them to have total control over newspapers or telephony, but I DO want them to punish criminal activities, including fraud, when identifiable through warrant or in a public forum whether they occur in newsprint, telephony, or the internet.

This goes for lots of places on the internet ... i know for a fact that booking.com ( a hotel booking portal ) offer the hotels 10 good reviews for x payment, i am also pretty damn sure the online fastfood ordering service we have here in denmark does the same but cant be 100% on that ... just a feeling. .

i have 0 faith in online overly positive reviews.

If you didn't already know was happening...
    The good thing about yelp and other review sites is that no one is paying for bad reviews.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like puffing is all, which is completely legal. If they are negative reviews that I could see as actionable.

Do not like it at all because I use those reviews. I know this shit happens all over now in every area that allows public feedback.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Seems like puffing is all, which is completely legal. If they are negative reviews that I could see as actionable.

Do not like it at all because I use those reviews. I know this shit happens all over now in every area that allows public feedback.
    Puffery is done under the assumption that the person being sold to knows they're being sold by a salesperson or a company representative. This is not puffery, because it's being done under false pretenses.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    If you didn't already know was happening...
    The good thing about yelp and other review sites is that no one is paying for bad reviews.
    Sure, I knew it was likely happening. I'm just glad to see it being punished.