Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    As a man who is striving to be extremely successful and rich in the future, while also having a modest family, I can honestly say I don't want to help anyone.

I don't think my contribution would benefit them beside making them greedy and lazy, I truly and honestly don't.

I'm not saying that's why extreme billionaires shouldn't do anything like donate, but it's their money, let them do what they want with it. Besides, they need that money to continue getting money and maybe when they're dead they'll donate it. It's not like you can say "well I hit this plateau, I better stop making money now." No, that's stupid, you have to continue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Rich people, generally speaking, are the ones providing jobs. That's one of the biggest benefits to society you can get.
    A job is a transaction between two parties. I don't think the television I just bought is a benefit to society unless I'm especially impressed with its value. A job can be good or bad in the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    They don't need the money, they don't use it, it just sits in a bank account being useless.
    Fallacy right here. If there was no money sitting in banks, no one would be able to get student loans or car loans or house loans. Everyone would have to save every penny they earn to do anything. Do you really think society would be better off if you had to save up money until you were 35-40 just to afford college? Do you think it'd be better if the majority of people never had enough money saved up to buy a house or car?

Money sitting in banks is absolutely not useless.

Besides, you're wrong anyway. The majority of net worth most of the mega-rich have is in stock shares. Bill Gates doesn't literally have 70 billion dollars sitting in the bank. He has about 70 billion dollars worth of shares, primarily in Microsoft that he can theoretically trade in exchange for cash when he so desires. Okay, SOME of his 70 billion dollars is in cash and other assets, but the majority of his net worth is simply shares of Microsoft stock. It's not sitting anywhere being useless. It's money he only gets if he decides to sell his stock and other people who have money decide to buy it. In other words, it's money sitting in your pocket, money pocket, your neighbors pocket, and everyone else's pockets.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    The better question is why do you expect them to? They're the ones that earned their money, they put in the work and effort to get their billions. Why would you, or anyone, expect them to waste their money on something like 10000 schools in Africa? Why is it a waste, you ask? Well because they won't gain anything from it, in fact I'd say almost nobody would benefit because nobody would even attend the schools most likely.

At the end of the day, they earned their money and shouldn't be expected to then donate everything they worked for just because they happen to have a lot.
    Im not saying i think they should. Im just really surprised that so many people, with more money than ways to spend it, do it. The only thing they do is accumulate more money (that they can spend) and thats used to accumulate more money than they can spend. So instead of buying a 5th lamborghini, why not build a few schools.

Deleted
    Bill Gates is a bad example, he's donated a hell of a lot of money to charity.

as for everyone else, its their money, and secondly throwing money doesn't really solve many issues the world faces, sure some rich person could donate 2million to some African charity, it won't have a massive impact though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MMKing View Post
    Cloth money cannot save the world from starvation or poverty.
    Redistributing resources directly would. No currencies required. The ethics are debatable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Besides, they need that money to continue getting money and maybe when they're dead they'll donate it. It's not like you can say "well I hit this plateau, I better stop making money now." No, that's stupid, you have to continue..
    Ok, so you have 50 billion sitting in your bank account.
    You get a yearly 1 billion interest rate on that.

You have 20 cars
    12 houses around the globe
    4 golddigger wifes
    300,000 dollar a day to spend

Why do you need to continue making money?
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2013-09-24 at 12:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    OT: There are many philanthropists. They are everywhere, and easy to spot. Most get publicity whether they want it or not. You can't make a large donation without having your name engraved on something.

Quote Originally Posted by Abysal View Post
    Fallacy right here. If there was no money sitting in banks, no one would be able to get student loans or car loans or house loans. Everyone would have to save every penny they earn to do anything. Do you really think society would be better off if you had to save up money until you were 35-40 just to afford college? Do you think it'd be better if the majority of people never had enough money saved up to buy a house or car?

Money sitting in banks is absolutely not useless.

The liquidity ratio is very low in the US. So yeah, money sitting in the bank is pretty much useless. We do not need tons of money to physically be inside of the banks....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    The liquidity ratio is very low in the US. So yeah, money sitting in the bank is pretty much useless.
    And more importantly, when large amounts of money stagnate unused, the value of it always depreciates.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    sure some rich person could donate 2million to some African charity, it won't have a massive impact though.
    We've already donated billions upon billions of dollars to Africa and in some places it's gotten worse.

It's like the old Chinese saying "Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."

We can give to charity. Sure that's noble. But those with problems need to learn how to take care of themselves if the problem is ever going to be fixed. Giving them food might save them from dying, but giving them the ability to grow enough of their own food efficiently and safely that they don't need us is how we're going to save them. At some point, too much charity becomes a hindrance because it gets in the way of people and cultures learning to take care of themselves.

Google Pompe and Fabris medicine. Come back to me when you learned the facts.
    ... I didn't really get much. Other than that someone had to spend $100 million.

... learn your facts? Either way you're entire thread is based on fallacies and now that it's reached a few pages I'm done bumping it.

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    The liquidity ratio is very low in the US. So yeah, money sitting in the bank is pretty much useless. We do not need tons of money to physically be inside of the banks....
    You generally don't get rich by having your money just sit in a bank.

---

Edit, back at OP: Your google gave shit. But doing some actual research, Shiift, into what I think you are blathering about I got the "facts" here:

http://pompestory.blogspot.com/2010/...s-results.html

Maybe more $$$ would have helped? Looks like "saving the world on a budget" did real well huh?

Learn your facts, x3?
    Last edited by nightfalls; 2013-09-24 at 12:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abysal View Post
    We've already donated billions upon billions of dollars to Africa and in some places it's gotten worse.

It's like the old Chinese saying "Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
    Unfortunately, teaching the person "to fish" is sometimes more expensive if we're comparing investments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, so you have 50 billion sitting in your bank account.
    You get a yearly 1 billion interest rate on that.

You have 20 cars
    12 houses around the globe
    4 golddigger wifes
    300,000 dollar a day to spend

Why do you need to continue making money?
    Hmm, buy a railroad. Biggest. Model. Railroad. Ever.

All i see is a bunch of assertions. other people have different assertions and they shout their assertions to each other. no where is there doubt or people listening.

Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post

You generally don't get rich by having your money just sit in a bank.
    I never said we did? Well maybe the banks get rich off of it...

Meh, that's a lame fingerpointing move. I'm talking about people with more money then they could ever spend. (IMO that mark is around the million dollar interest income since you would have to spend around 3k a day). Dont go pointing at my 400$ computer when they have 50 10k computers just for looks.
    Noone has more money than they can spend. If they want to spend, there are billions of things to spend on.

And this is not Sim City where you can just throw money and things happen. Who's going to do it, how much are they getting by doing it, how much will they take that money into actually doing it, then there are the legal aspects of everything... You can't just go and so ok Africa, I'm coming to build 10,000 schools, get out of my way.
    Last edited by OscaR; 2013-09-24 at 12:53 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Hmm, buy a railroad. Biggest. Model. Railroad. Ever.
    That will set you back 10 million.
    How will you spend the other 990 million?

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    Bill Gates is a bad example, he's donated a hell of a lot of money to charity.

as for everyone else, its their money, and secondly throwing money doesn't really solve many issues the world faces, sure some rich person could donate 2million to some African charity, it won't have a massive impact though.
    Lots of rich people do
    Steve Jobs is the exception...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

if nobody had over $20m dollars like you said, alot of people would lose jobs opportunities because nobody would have the money for big investments that provide so many jobs