Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Grunt Insanyti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Insanity, The Mind
    Posts
    19

    Question Pet's Growl Not Working?

    I checked back a few pages and saw no threads on this issue, so I hope I'm not bringing up something that has already been discussed.

    In the past week or so (or maybe since 5.4 came out, I really can't be sure) I am having quite a few issues with my pet NOT growling when the Growl spell is set to auto cast and when my pet does not have aggro on the target. I have put my pet in Assist, Defensive and Passive to test if it would activate in any of those stances when it was not working for me, and I also turn off the auto cast and back on many times, dismissed my pet and re-summoned..... but still, the growl would NOT go off. I've had to manually hit it so very often recently.
    I do keep my pet on Passive most of the times due to raiding, but then I turn on Assist and auto-growl for outside of raids and this SEEMS like when I have the most issue with this subject.

    Also to note: After a few hours of Growl not auto casting as it should have been, all of a sudden I just noticed that it was. I hadn't changed anything.

    Has anyone else been noticing similar events with their pets?

  2. #2
    Well, at first I thought there was something wrong with my pets once I reached Timeless Isle, but then I realized a bunch of mobs in there can't be taunted by pets at all.

    Outside of Timeless Isle the Pet Taunt seems to be working just fine for me.
    Trying to argue anything with any sort of nuance over Twitter is the intellectual equivalent of trying to trying to squeeze a cow through a keyhole. Sure, you might even be able to do it with enough brute force, and whatever comes out the other side might even still be considered to be "cow" in the technical sense, but it will be so mangled as to be completely unrecognizable.

  3. #3
    yeah timeless isle elites and stuff can't be taunted. the change now though is that if the mob isn't tauntable, the pet won't even TRY to taunt so you never see the cd going. before, the pet would taunt, cd would start, but a message would say that the mob is immune.

  4. #4
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by speakpkhq View Post
    yeah timeless isle elites and stuff can't be taunted. the change now though is that if the mob isn't tauntable, the pet won't even TRY to taunt so you never see the cd going. before, the pet would taunt, cd would start, but a message would say that the mob is immune.
    This is false. Warlock pet taunt work just fine. I'm not sure if regular tank taunts do though.

    It's just hunter pet growl that is really messed up.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post
    This is false. Warlock pet taunt work just fine. I'm not sure if regular tank taunts do though.

    It's just hunter pet growl that is really messed up.
    Fairly sure the issue is that the Voidwalker/Voidlord gets extra threat with all its attacks via Threatening Presence, while even Tenacity-specced Hunter pets only get additional threat by using Growl (and receiving it over Misdirection, of course).
    Trying to argue anything with any sort of nuance over Twitter is the intellectual equivalent of trying to trying to squeeze a cow through a keyhole. Sure, you might even be able to do it with enough brute force, and whatever comes out the other side might even still be considered to be "cow" in the technical sense, but it will be so mangled as to be completely unrecognizable.

  6. #6
    I've been noticing this, for the most part the growl seems to work in the open world but I've noticed in a few raids I was soloing for fun and then on the Timeless Isle that growl wasn't working and I was wondering about it, but the redirect glyph seems to work as a fine replacement for those cases if you happen to have it.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post
    This is false. Warlock pet taunt work just fine. I'm not sure if regular tank taunts do though.

    It's just hunter pet growl that is really messed up.
    No it doesn't, I found that out the hard way.
    It's almost always the wrong argument to compare yourself to the highest DPS specs out there. "Middle of the pack" is actually where everyone is supposed to be. -Ghostcrawler
    DPS Tuning
    •Yes, this is a roller coaster. Our process is to try things out and iterate if we don't like them. If the churn offends you, just hang on for another week or two.

  8. #8
    i still find taunt works when i click it myself.

  9. #9
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterbom View Post
    No it doesn't, I found that out the hard way.
    A few weeks back I spent hours farming rep at Ordon Sanctuary with a group. There were 2 warlocks in the group, and their voidwalkers taunted anything in there just fine. Meanwhile my pet refused to growl.

  10. #10
    This is so annoying

  11. #11
    Growl auto cast does not seem to work on the timeless isle but if you cast is manually it works fine.

    That's been my experience anyway.

    Correction, Growl auto cast does work sometimes, just not all the time.

  12. #12
    Grunt Insanyti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Insanity, The Mind
    Posts
    19
    Thank you all for your replies.

    And yes, I hadn't considered it at the time since I spent so MUCH time there but my experiences were of course on the Timeless Isle as well.

    Thank you for the information everyone!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Notho View Post
    Growl auto cast does not seem to work on the timeless isle but if you cast is manually it works fine.

    That's been my experience anyway.

    Correction, Growl auto cast does work sometimes, just not all the time.

    The higher health elites (Chanters, Kilnwhatever, High Priests etc) can't be taunted, so the pet's not even casting it on them. Lower health elites (cranes, turtles, yaks etc) can be taunted fine and growl works on them.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Holtzmann View Post
    Fairly sure the issue is that the Voidwalker/Voidlord gets extra threat with all its attacks via Threatening Presence, while even Tenacity-specced Hunter pets only get additional threat by using Growl (and receiving it over Misdirection, of course).
    this, they fix or change something when a few guilds were using pets to tank in raids. after that 1st week of will progression in MSV they removed pets taunting cap on bosses and elites, why idk why. if a pet could tank let it tank a boss dont nullify growl.

    this same thing happen with deadzone back in vanilla. it was a bug, after a while they just leave it like that.

  15. #15
    Best thing to do is use the Misdirection glyph so that it has no cooldown when you use it on your pet. I will say though, its annoying that lock pets get what is essentially a tank-style threat buff that works 100% of the time, and hunter pets are SOL if the mob is growl immune. I guess the ability to MD spam to your pet sort of makes up for it.. but its still a very irritating disparity.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Best thing to do is use the Misdirection glyph so that it has no cooldown when you use it on your pet. I will say though, its annoying that lock pets get what is essentially a tank-style threat buff that works 100% of the time, and hunter pets are SOL if the mob is growl immune. I guess the ability to MD spam to your pet sort of makes up for it.. but its still a very irritating disparity.
    I don't think so really. Warlocks are a lot more limited in the healing they can do to their pet. Keeping it up is a thing they have to actively concern themselves with versus tougher opponents, often stopping DPS entirely (unless they have the Health Funnel glyph, but that's a major nerf to the amount healed). Mend Pet is pretty ridiculous in its current form, healing a huge amount and requiring no effort whatsoever on the part of the Hunter to keep the pet alive. Spirit Bond just makes it even easier.

    I think it's a fair trade-off. Warlocks have to work harder to keep their pet alive, Hunters have to work harder to manage their threat.

  17. #17
    Honestly, the fact that pets can't use Growl etc to taunt elites is just annoying. Why disable a core mechanic like that? It's part of the reason you HAVE a tenacity pet, to keep aggro on it and not on the hunter.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Honestly, the fact that pets can't use Growl etc to taunt elites is just annoying. Why disable a core mechanic like that? It's part of the reason you HAVE a tenacity pet, to keep aggro on it and not on the hunter.
    ppl used to tank strenght adds on will of the emperor. since the adds dont do damage just stun shit and is aoe damage pet took no damage from it and u could ignore them.

  19. #19
    Then they should have fixed that, not nerfed Growl for every mob 2+ levels above me.

  20. #20
    I'm finding that my pet won't growl on the isle, and when I do manually cast it, it does nothing anyways. MD every few seconds works fine, but even if I put my pet on the mob & FD, I still get agro within 10 seconds.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •