Would anybody be interested in a MMO-Champion Android app?

UPDATE
    Hey again guys!
    Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it!

Well, I basically sat down at my computer for the day and coded and got the bulk of it done.
    I also got a bit carried away and decided not to just do the News section but I have also pretty much done most of the site!

You can now view RSS Feeds of the whole forum except 'Guild Recruitment'(may add in a later revision) and 'Archive'.

I'm not sure if I will keep that design in later revisions. The second screen of the app which uses imagebuttons (News, World of Warcraft, etc) may be changed to a listview like the later screens.
    The app should correctly (hopefully!) warn the user if he is offline and has no internet connection. This should prevent the app from attempting to load the rss feed and crashing.

My back is aching and my neck is cramped like hell but it has been a productive day! I was glad to get back into coding and delve into it for the day.
    I would have waited an extra day to publish but tomorrow is my Birthday and I don't think I will be at my computer too much.

Now the nitty gritty!

There was some things I really wanted to do which I just could not in the end (maybe I will return to it and improve it once I learn more).
    I wanted to attempt parse the text from each rss item (each news item basically) and pull the text out of them and display it on a screen which would be highly optimised for mobile.
    I tried for weeks to do this during my dissertation too. I gave it another go and again failed. I once managed to pull the text without the images but it missed a LOT of characters and refused to space the words.
    Someone asked about the ability to post responses, while technically you can do it, I haven't added anything to enhance this. Basically because I don't know how and don't have the confidence in doing it (I have to emphasise how much of an amateur I am! haha).
    While coding this I went into my habit of coding it the long way. I could have completed the app much faster had I used some better coding techniques (such as one RSS class using if statements or something similar). It really wouldn't have improved performance at all but it would have been good coding practice. Old habits! I always do things the long way!

And now regarding iOS development. I noticed quite a few of you asked for it and it pains me. Unfortunately I don't have a bit of C programming in me. I coded exclusively in Java in College and while I know they are both almost identical there is still some stuff you need to know when coding in C (garbage cleanup and stuff like that) that I have no clue about.
    On top of that you need to dish out around €100 to get the development tools from Apple (so I heard). Sorry about that guys!

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy it. I'll be the first to admit it's far from perfect but it's definitely small and portable. Hopefully some of you may enjoy it.

And with that, here is the link!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...v.mmo_champion

If you guys did enjoy it I would ask you to submit an ol'review of it for me please!
    And as always, I take criticism extremely positively!

=============================
    Hey guys.
    I am a amateur Android developer at the moment and during my 4th year of College I did a disseration on RSS technology.

I am always trying to improve my coding skills and I always want to try keep on top of it to prevent me from getting rusty as I job hunt.

I have currently developed and published two applications on the google playstore using RSS technology.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...elopment&hl=en

I am thinking about developing an MMO-Champion Android application that will firstly use the main news feed using RSS. I may then add other sections such as general discussion, class discussion, etc.
    The app will of course be completely free with zero ads if I end up making it.

It will be by no means an excellent app. I am still very very much an amateur at all of this and I am just trying to build upon what I have done before.

If any mods or staff members running MMO-Champion have a problem with this then I completely understand and will refrain from developing it.

Just trying to find out if there would be any interest in this kind of thing!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Alan3002; 2013-09-24 at 10:43 PM.
    - I participated in the Legendary 22/02/11 EU internet Crash thread, also known as "The day EU trolled Blizzard" -

I would be interested. Good luck!

10+ Year Old Account
    This would be Great. If you do decide to develop this app, please consider following:

regular update on forum posts / most active threads (like top 7 on the font page of mm-champion), and easy way to open thread that interests you (while easy way to type your respond (like keyboard pop-up same as regular texting keyboard)).

Thank you and Good luck! This idea is Great.

Deleted
    i'd love an IOS friendly one!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I'd be interested in it, so go for it ^^

hell yes. been asking for one for ages now
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan3002 View Post
    Hey guys.
    I am a amateur Android developer at the moment and during my 4th year of College I did a disseration on RSS technology.

I am always trying to improve my coding skills and I always want to try keep on top of it to prevent me from getting rusty as I job hunt.

I have currently developed and published two applications on the google playstore using RSS technology.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...elopment&hl=en

I am thinking about developing an MMO-Champion Android application that will firstly use the main news feed using RSS. I may then add other sections such as general discussion, class discussion, etc.
    The app will of course be completely free with zero ads if I end up making it.

It will be by no means an excellent app. I am still very very much an amateur at all of this and I am just trying to build upon what I have done before.

If any mods or staff members running MMO-Champion have a problem with this then I completely understand and will refrain from developing it.

Just trying to find out if there would be any interest in this kind of thing!

Thanks!
    Interesting idea! It always irked me that MMO Champion doesn't have a responsive layout for mobile devices, never noticed the RSS feed either! Good luck with the app, I look forward to using it!

Feel free to use my phone to help test hardware configurations (there's only so much the emulator can tell you :-()

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm certainly interested. I'll be willing to help you test and debug it at the very least. If you toss it on Github, I can pull any updates down and compile it on my machine and test it.

Deleted
    I'd use it every day.
    Please, do develop this.

If the moderators approve, ofcourse.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was dreaming of an mmo-champ App, please make it happen (IOS after)

Deleted
    Would be very practical, a lot of people visit the site with their phones

Ooh, I certainly would be. I've been browsing MMO-C at work so much recently.

do it.

but use ads, no reason to make something for free. as long as they're just the bottom banner ads no one really minds, and i think we all understand why they are there. you can always update it later and remove them - things like that actually make users very happy.

also, you may want to talk to the site admins. i'm not entirely sure how things like this work, but getting their direct permission cannot hurt your cause. hell, THEY may give you a job.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would definitely use it... if only I had an Android instead of iOS.

I don't think I would ever put my phone down lol. Do it!!!

If only you'd knew how many times I searched for an MMO-Champion app. Go for it! It is something we NEED

1 thing tho, am an IOS user, so consider that as well.

All the best!
    And then it's dysfunction this, and dysfunction that, and dysfunction vaffancul!

Hey again guys!

Well, I basically sat down at my computer for the day and coded and got the bulk of it done.
    I also got a bit carried away and decided not to just do the News section but I have also pretty much done most of the site!

You can now view RSS Feeds of the whole forum except 'Guild Recruitment'(may add in a later revision) and 'Archive'.

I'm not sure if I will keep that design in later revisions. The second screen of the app which uses imagebuttons (News, World of Warcraft, etc) may be changed to a listview like the later screens.
    The app should correctly (hopefully!) warn the user if he is offline and has no internet connection. This should prevent the app from attempting to load the rss feed and crashing.

My back is aching and my neck is cramped like hell but it has been a productive day! I was glad to get back into coding and delve into it for the day.
    I would have waited an extra day to publish but tomorrow is my Birthday and I don't think I will be at my computer too much.

Now the nitty gritty!

There was some things I really wanted to do which I just could not in the end (maybe I will return to it and improve it once I learn more).
    I wanted to attempt parse the text from each rss item (each news item basically) and pull the text out of them and display it on a screen which would be highly optimised for mobile.
    I tried for weeks to do this during my dissertation too. I gave it another go and again failed. I once managed to pull the text without the images but it missed a LOT of characters and refused to space the words.
    Someone asked about the ability to post responses, while technically you can do it, I haven't added anything to enhance this. Basically because I don't know how and don't have the confidence in doing it (I have to emphasise how much of an amateur I am! haha).
    While coding this I went into my habit of coding it the long way. I could have completed the app much faster had I used some better coding techniques (such as one RSS class using if statements or something similar). It really wouldn't have improved performance at all but it would have been good coding practice. Old habits! I always do things the long way!

And now regarding iOS development. I noticed quite a few of you asked for it and it pains me. Unfortunately I don't have a bit of C programming in me. I coded exclusively in Java in College and while I know they are both almost identical there is still some stuff you need to know when coding in C (garbage cleanup and stuff like that) that I have no clue about.
    On top of that you need to dish out around €100 to get the development tools from Apple (so I heard). Sorry about that guys!

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy it. I'll be the first to admit it's far from perfect but it's definitely small and portable. Hopefully some of you may enjoy it.

If you guys did enjoy it I would ask you to submit an ol'review of it for me please!
    - I participated in the Legendary 22/02/11 EU internet Crash thread, also known as "The day EU trolled Blizzard" -

Great, now i will have to worry about people MMO-champing while driving now. Mainly myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan3002 View Post
    Hey again guys!

Now the nitty gritty!

Howdy! I sent you a quick PM that you may be interested in :-) thought I'd post here too in-case you don't leave yourself logged into MMO Champion to see the PM pop up ;-)