Page 1 of 16
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    WoW players have FEELINGS!!!

    I have noticed this in my last LFR. When I told a fellow warlock "hey , you're doing less dps then the tank, if you want I can help you with your rotation".

    The reply i've got was "mind your own fucking business".

    I mean this is a game and it shouldn't be compared to real life where if 3 people try to move a couch and one doesn't put any effort in it, as long as the couch gets moved nobody should pick on the third guy who is just pretending to move it.

    But honestly I don't understand why every single rule in the game is protecting the people who don't try to improve. LFR has rewards that makes raiders interested enough to clear it and thus boost players who do have the gear but don't have the skill to do it.
    This encourages people to be lazy and i don't understand why.

    When the new patch came out and raiders stoped doing lfr as they were interested in soo , i was amused to see my friend wiping again and again at throne of thunder because there werent enough raiders to carry everebody.

    Oh well i digress. My point is, that i can hardly imagine how these people play LoL or dota2. If they can't stand even the most minor criticism, how can they stand the down right insults coming from a dota 2 team when you underperform

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    34,148
    You're going to get that from time to time. It's unfortunate. Sometimes people have listened to me, and sometimes they've spurned my advice. I've just learned to walk away from it.



  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by veehro View Post
    I have noticed this in my last LFR. When I told a fellow warlock "hey , you're doing less dps then the tank, if you want I can help you with your rotation".

    The reply i've got was "mind your own fucking business".
    Sadly, I've learned that staying absolutely quiet, doing average dps (not too high or low) and just not being noticed is the only approach in LFR.

    I've seen people kicked for being at the top and the bottom of the charts.

    I've seen people kicked for suggesting a strategy.

    I got kicked once because i didn't accept a rez within 8 seconds, when I was on a rez timer of 15 seconds.

    LFR is like a big traffic jam, lots of impatient, anonymous people with no mechanism for real interpersonal communications.

  4. #4
    Brewmaster Azahel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Moon Guard
    Posts
    1,271
    Feelings decrease your DPS

    "Posting impassionately, they say you don't care. Posting nothing, they say you ignore. Posting with passion, you incite trolls. Posting fluff, you say nonsense. Post with what facts you have, they whittle down with rationale.
    There is no win, there is only slow degradation." Tseric and the truth about WoW community.

  5. #5
    The Lightbringer Paula Deen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Albany, Georgia
    Posts
    3,726
    LFR Population has declined since Flex was introduced, all thats left is the toxic players and the occasional OP-esque player who tries his best, gets kicked for it then gives up trying. Its really just a cycle. To be honest, I really do wonder if they may remove LFR with the introduction of Flex, its taken a very bad turn since this patch's opening.

    But yes, OP, in response to your post, its an issue with the people who run this kind of thing, they are typically young, emotionally repressed humans who cannot take a joke or any basic criticism. This trend however more or less mirrors society as a whole.

  6. #6
    Nothing different in real life. If you give them advise, you'll just get the exact same response. They probably see it as an insult or something

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post

    LFR is like a big traffic jam, lots of impatient, anonymous people with no mechanism for real interpersonal communications.
    I think this is the big issue. LFR is not fun. I dont think any one says "oh what fun i had at lfr last night". I wish blizz would never of gone this way. Instead of spending time tuning raids for 4 dificulties, they should of just used 1 dificulty but different raids for different purposes.

    But thats just my 2 cents

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by veehro View Post
    I have noticed this in my last LFR. When I told a fellow warlock "hey , you're doing less dps then the tank, if you want I can help you with your rotation".

    The reply i've got was "mind your own fucking business".
    No matter how polite you try to be that sentence is an outright "You are a bad player/afker".

    Example:"Hey girl-I-Just-Met-on-the-pub.I see that your hips are the size of a trailer wheel...can I suggest you some change in your diet? I can help you if you want".

    Well...I dont need to tell you how this is gonna end

    If you really want to help you cant make general statements like that but instead concentrating on specific details you noticed so the other player dont feel ashamed for your words: "Hey...I saw you clipped some embers...do you know about this addon that helps you...etc" "Hey...Is there any change i dont know of? Most destruction gem for crit but you are gemmed/reforged for mastery".

    A direct "Youre doing it wrong" will 90% of the times offend the pride of the player(and we wow players are the most incredible arrogant selfish human beings that ever walked the earth).

  9. #9
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,967
    Flex is my new LFR, I haven't stepped foot in LFR since 5.4 dropped and it has been awesome! The better casuals who couldn't devote set times to raid teams are probably doing flex over LFR too. Soon LFR will just be the really bad players who don't even want to try to improve and the elitist who just want to AFK the whole thing.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Amsden View Post
    Flex is my new LFR, I haven't stepped foot in LFR since 5.4 dropped and it has been awesome! The better casuals who couldn't devote set times to raid teams are probably doing flex over LFR too. Soon LFR will just be the really bad players who don't even want to try to improve and the elitist who just want to AFK the whole thing.
    My prediction is that LFR will get retuned in the future to be the 25-man scenario version of raiding. No tanks, no heals, all DPS players. Queue up and mash buttons until dead. Run back and rez mid-fight. Pure zergfest for lootz.

  11. #11
    Beep boop whirr. What feelings?

    I'll give some thoughts and advice if people ask me directly for them. Otherwise, seeing as how bothered I get when I hear unsolicited advice, I really can't blame anybody else for being bothered with it either. Generally this works out okay and sometimes I'll have mages asking me how to improve, and we can work something out in whisper. Or the first few weeks in LFR when the boss strategies haven't become common knowledge yet it's helpful to have a summary.

    And then sometimes you get the rare gem of a player who asks for help and then bites your hand.

  12. #12
    I don't think its offending their pride that makes people snap at others (at least not all the time), but its a result of the community accepting and in some cases fostering the idea that continuously dumping on each other for the smallest of things is not only okay but something that SHOULD be done. So when someone actually offers to help, people have this ingrained knee-jerk reaction to tell them to go get cancer or die in a ditch. If these toxic players were held accountable for what they said and not have excuses made for them, I think the community would be better for it.

    Though I have to agree that the OP should have rephrased his offer to help as it did come off as a bit condescending.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by veehro View Post
    "hey , you're doing less dps then the tank,
    That may not have been the best way to start a conversation. If you really want to help someone, you don't start by insulting them because it immediately puts them on the defensive. Yes, it may have been true. However, it is still a backhanded insult.

    If you would've started the conversation with something like "I have a warlock too, and I might be able to give you some tips on improving your DPS if you are interested". It might turn out different. A majority of the time I offer to help people, I get positive responses.

  14. #14
    Elemental Lord Blueobelisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    8,001
    I never help anyone unless they whisper me first. Which did happen a few times, but only because I really destroyed DPS meters.

    People are just defensive and take offense that you're calling them weak.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by veehro View Post
    I have noticed this in my last LFR. When I told a fellow warlock "hey , you're doing less dps then the tank, if you want I can help you with your rotation".

    The reply i've got was "mind your own fucking business".

    I mean this is a game and it shouldn't be compared to real life where if 3 people try to move a couch and one doesn't put any effort in it, as long as the couch gets moved nobody should pick on the third guy who is just pretending to move it.

    But honestly I don't understand why every single rule in the game is protecting the people who don't try to improve. LFR has rewards that makes raiders interested enough to clear it and thus boost players who do have the gear but don't have the skill to do it.
    This encourages people to be lazy and i don't understand why.

    When the new patch came out and raiders stoped doing lfr as they were interested in soo , i was amused to see my friend wiping again and again at throne of thunder because there werent enough raiders to carry everebody.

    Oh well i digress. My point is, that i can hardly imagine how these people play LoL or dota2. If they can't stand even the most minor criticism, how can they stand the down right insults coming from a dota 2 team when you underperform
    It's mostly in your delivery, friend.

    You're basically telling a stranger he's terrible and then expect him to take advice? It doesn't work that way. Even if he was looking for help, being condescending with your first statement doesn't open someone up to take help from you. At that point they just become stubborn.

    I do understand your intentions, and I don't really think you were necessarily TRYING to be an asshole, but I'm sure that's how he took it, and that's where his response comes from.

    If they're playing a class you know well, maybe something as small as, "Hey, friend, I noticed you were missing out on the benefit of XXX ability. Timing that along with XXX could help out a tad bit. Best of luck!" Then, it comes off as a helpful hint without the "you suck" preceeding it. Given this method, I've often found their response to be something along the lines of, "oh, yeah, I didn't even have that on my bar" and then they ask more questions about it. Once they begin to ask more questions, you can give all the advice you want, because you've earned that right.

    Never have the misconception that your skills in the game give you the right to give advice to anyone who doesn't want it. Regardless of how right you may be, it's still their character and they have the right to be as ignorant as they want.

    Again, it's all in the delivery if you're truly looking to help someone out.

    Hope it helps!

  16. #16
    I do love when 2 other monks and I are 1-3 in damage/dps but our top 3 damage items are all different. (BoK, FoF, SCK, Melee). We all laugh about it and get some swedish fish.

  17. #17
    Legendary! Thelxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,368
    For all you know that is his alt in unenchanted ungemmed blues while his main is 20 ilvls higher than you. Pointing out to strangers that they are doing less dps than the tank is rude and unnecessary. Next time you feel the urge to spread knowledge leave out the insult.

  18. #18
    Over 9000! Combatbulter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hanseatic City of Lübeck
    Posts
    9,164
    Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    That may not have been the best way to start a conversation. If you really want to help someone, you don't start by insulting them because it immediately puts them on the defensive. Yes, it may have been true. However, it is still a backhanded insult.
    How is that insulting? It is simply the truth, he can heed the advice or not, but the way his answer told us all that needs to be known, that he is a waste of space, he could have said no thank you, or something like that after all. If people do poor dps, they should let at least acknowledge that fact.
    He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    How is that insulting? It is simply the truth, he can heed the advice or not, but the way his answer told us all that needs to be known, that he is a waste of space, he could have said no thank you, or something like that after all. If people do poor dps, they should let at least acknowledge that fact.
    Combat, that's a stupid fucking post.

    If you'd like, we can discuss the topic further on why you're wrong.



    ^^^that's how it works. My above statement is true, but I highly doubt you're going to respond positively to it. Thus, we move to:


    A better way for me to respond would be:

    It may be true that he's not good at what he's doing, and the numbers show that. Maybe he's doing it on purpose, maybe he just doesn't know about XXX ability that should be in his "rotation."

    A person who believes that insulting someone will open them up to advice doesn't really understand how human being's work. Not to mention, they'd be terrible at any sort of persuasion.

    Unless you're Hitler, then you could persuade people through force. In WoW, however, you can't persuade someone through force, and if you are really trying to get them to improve, they have to WANT to take your advice.

    ---

    And I'll also point out, that the valid point I made in the lower half of this post now has absolutely no weight with you (regardless of its accuracy), because I chose to insult you beforehand.

    It works the same way in the case at hand.
    Last edited by Louis CK; 2013-09-24 at 03:48 PM.

  20. #20
    Over 9000! Combatbulter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hanseatic City of Lübeck
    Posts
    9,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Compstance View Post
    Combat, that's a stupid fucking post.

    If you'd like, we can discuss the topic further on why you're wrong.



    ^^^that's how it works. My above statement is true, but I highly doubt you're going to respond positively to it. Thus, we move to:


    A better way for me to respond would be:

    It may be true that he's not good at what he's doing, and the numbers show that. Maybe he's doing it on purpose, maybe he just doesn't know about XXX ability that should be in his "rotation."

    A person who believes that insulting someone will open them up to advice doesn't really understand how human being's work. Not to mention, they'd be terrible at any sort of persuasion.

    Unless you're Hitler, then you could persuade people through force. In WoW, however, you can't persuade someone through force, and if you are really trying to get them to improve, they have to WANT to take your advice.

    ---

    And I'll also point out, that the valid point I made in the lower half of this post now has absolutely no weight with you, because I chose to insult you beforehand.

    It works the same way in the case at hand.
    Just answer me how is this particular sentence insulting? "hey , you're doing less dps then the tank, if you want I can help you with your rotation". I don't see anything offensive there, he simply offers help, assuming the other one needs it. Answering to that with mind your own fucking business is the only insult here.

    So I personally put such players on ignore and try to boot them from the lfr, which works in 80% of the time.
    He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •