Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Nobody seems to get that insurance is a business matter. Defined as a "transfer of risk". People elect to purchase health insurance to transfer the risk of excessive expenses onto another entity, should they be incurred. Same reason we have car insurance, home insurance, etc. Anyone been paying car insurance for 10+ years and never had a wreck?
    Americans have never been denied healthcare services before. Illegal aliens were never denied healthcare in America. They were however expected to pay for it.
    Health insurance is not required not a right, no more than getting a free cell phone.

However, Democrats want people dependent on them, so the more free stuff you give them, the more likely they are to keep you in office.

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    No, it keeps us a bit safer from terrorists, not "safe". The debate is whether or not the cost and the loss of freedoms are worth that increase in security.
    I was being sarcastic.
    Everyone knows the CIA is al queda.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmollster11 View Post
    Nobody seems to get that insurance is a business matter. Defined as a "transfer of risk". People elect to purchase health insurance to transfer the risk of excessive expenses onto another entity, should they be incurred. Same reason we have car insurance, home insurance, etc. Anyone been paying car insurance for 10+ years and never had a wreck?
    Americans have never been denied healthcare services before. Illegal aliens were never denied healthcare in America. They were however expected to pay for it.
    Health insurance is not required not a right, no more than getting a free cell phone.

However, Democrats want people dependent on them, so the more free stuff you give them, the more likely they are to keep you in office.
    And what happens when people got this health care and couldn't afford it? They went bankrupt AND a huge whack of costs got lumped onto the other taxpayers.

Worse, this was the most expensive possible kind of care and leading to the worst outcomes: no preventative care, only emergency/acute care.

By the way, know who gave out the free phones to the poor? Reagan and Bush Jr. You know, those Democrats who were trying to keep people dependent on them.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    It keeps us safe from terrorists though.
    Ouch! I just strained an eyerolling muscle.

Well, I can't speak for the overall effect, but a lot of the plans that we are starting to see offered actually look quite reasonably-priced.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/ar...owest-coverage

Average premium in Fla for lowest package: $257/mo
    Premium for a family of 4 making up to $96K, after subsidies? $104/mo
    the link doesn't tell you what the deductible is. some insurance programs actually make you pay over $1k before they even pay a cent.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Nearly all acts passed by Congress have Orwellian overtones. There's nothing more anti-patriotic than the Patriot Act.
    You're absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    As the title says.
    Why is federal government exempt if it's such a good idea?
    Because... They can?

The federal government does what it wants, when it wants, and screw anybody that gets in its way.

Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    the link doesn't tell you what the deductible is. some insurance programs actually make you pay over $1k before they even pay a cent.
    Well, there are literally dozens of plans that people will get to choose from, but those numbers give us some ballpark ideas. Remember: the $257/mo was the AVERAGE for the lowest package, and so I would assume that would include both low and high deductibles (I am not sure if there are strict rules around deductibles). Once people start signing up we'll hear a zillion stories about rates and deductibles and coverage.

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Nearly all acts passed by Congress have Orwellian overtones. There's nothing more anti-patriotic than the Patriot Act.
    my vote is to repeal them both.. there are better ways to do both

- - - Updated - - -

Well, there are literally dozens of plans that people will get to choose from, but those numbers give us some ballpark ideas. Remember: the $257/mo was the AVERAGE for the lowest package, and so I would assume that would include both low and high deductibles (I am not sure if there are strict rules around deductibles). Once people start signing up we'll hear a zillion stories about rates and deductibles and coverage.
    the problem right now is that everything is speculation.. we won't see the real damage until people learn to game the system.. which they will..because that's what people do
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    my vote is to repeal them both.. there are better ways to do both
    Then come up with better alternatives to replace them, THEN repeal them.

zhero,

http://www.coveredca.com/shopandcompare/#healthplans

family of 4, 35 yr old parents, 2 children, 96k income a year, premiums for the cheapest plan are $648/mo, no subsidy. That is the official California site.

I know that isn't Florida, but in Calfornia they would not receive a subsidy.

the problem right now is that everything is speculation.. we won't see the real damage until people learn to game the system.. which they will..because that's what people do
    WHich is one of the reasons the legislation is so long: trying to plug some of the holes ahead of time.

But yes like everything there will be creative ways people abuse it, or things not enforced properly that have to be shored up later. Everything either public or private sector tends to be like that. I mean, can you imagine if democratic vote never made it to America because people wrung their hands that some would find ways to abuse it?

The cheapest plan in CA has a $2k deductible, but co-pays for all of the routine visits and such. The deductible for that is applied first for hospital visits. Out of pocket max is 6750 i believe, which is the standard for all of the plans in CA I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Because the federal government already has healthcare? Obamacare doesnt provide healthcare, it makes it cheaper for low income people and forces insurance companies to insure people they normally wouldnt along with some other regulations.
    it also forces insurance companies to practice as they should and not how they have been.. examples are free breast pumps and covering people who are already sick. I do not understand why ppl have such an issue with HELPING others.. and those that make over 45k a year individually and DONT have insurance are idiots and should be fined... because if they end up in the hospital others will suffer when they cannot pay the bill. Also "Obamacare" has been doing wonders to regulate the overpriced nature of many things from insurance cost to what the hospital charges you when you are admitted.. and thats just a good side effect as far as I know.

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    WHich is one of the reasons the legislation is so long: trying to plug some of the holes ahead of time.

But yes like everything there will be creative ways people abuse it, or things not enforced properly that have to be shored up later. Everything either public or private sector tends to be like that. I mean, can you imagine if democratic vote never made it to America because people wrung their hands that some would find ways to abuse it?
    the problem is that the entire law is a mess.. it's full of holes and contradictions and unenforceable rules.. it's full of mistakes that hurt the very people it's supposed to help.. this is what happens when congress votes on a bill without reading it first..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoou View Post
    it also forces insurance companies to practice as they should and not how they have been.. examples are free breast pumps and covering people who are already sick. I do not understand why ppl have such an issue with HELPING others.. and those that make over 45k a year individually and DONT have insurance are idiots and should be fined... because if they end up in the hospital others will suffer when they cannot pay the bill. Also "Obamacare" has been doing wonders to regulate the overpriced nature of many things from insurance cost to what the hospital charges you when you are admitted.. and thats just a good side effect as far as I know.
    you seem to be under the impression that people had no access to this stuff before Obamacare...
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

Quote Originally Posted by frumper View Post
    zhero,

http://www.coveredca.com/shopandcompare/#healthplans

family of 4, 35 yr old parents, 2 children, 96k income a year, premiums for the cheapest plan are $648/mo, no subsidy. That is the official California site.

I know that isn't Florida, but in Calfornia they would not receive a subsidy.
    the 96k a year is well above the state average. I input some info, for 1 adult, deductibles as high as $5000

the problem is that the entire law is a mess.. it's full of holes and contradictions and unenforceable rules.. it's full of mistakes that hurt the very people it's supposed to help.. this is what happens when congress votes on a bill without reading it first..
    If only there was a party who was upset with the law and spent the past few years fixing the problems instead of demonizing and trying to repeal the whole thing...

you seem to be under the impression that people had no access to this stuff before Obamacare...
    Many people with preexisting conditions or family history of health issues didn't.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    the 96k a year is well above the state average. I input some info, for 1 adult, deductibles as high as $5000
    I know from my research, an individual in CA gets some subsidy up to around 38k a year. Thats where it zeros out, and it starts to reduce from lowest plan fully covered at around 20k to 0 benefit around 38k. That is for a single individual. Also, lower income people get an improved plan option for the cost of what middle/high income can choose from.

Typical plans are

bronze 60% insurance
    silver 70%
    gold 80%
    platinum 90%

whereas lower income get

"enhanced silver" options which is 87% coverage.

I will live to see the destruction of America and witness liberals get the paradise they demand, aka: nation wide Detroit.

And honestly you all deserve it.

The liberal voters deserve it because they're too concerned with being hip and cool and opposing those evil racist tea baggers to understand how destructive the things they're supporting are. Bahhhh bahhhh sheeple.

Everybody else deserves it because this plague of liberalism didn't spring up over night, its been growing in power for decades and only now people are waking up? Too little too late.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2013-09-27 at 05:41 PM.