Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Depends on what state you're in TBH.
    There is a reason I refer to the red states as the third world part of the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
    Good. But a freeze isn't enough. Except for the military, all Federal workers need to have massive pay cuts, as well as extensive layoffs and huge reductions in the total departments. Pay freeze? Pht - and it isn't even a FREEZE really because their salaries are still increasing, and they are still getting big bonuses and other payments that result in their salaries actually going up.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2...y-freeze-isnt/
    http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-overs...nment-2012.pdf
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-salary-rises/
    http://finance.townhall.com/columnis...1097/page/full

And even if they were REALLY substantively 'freezing' Federal salaries, how about instead of that they quit the ridiculous spending junkets, the lavish parties, the frivolous trips with the massive entourages, the conventions, the 'training seminars' with expensive door prizes, and all the other wasteful, profligate spending every Federal department racks up every month? Regardless, the pay freeze comes after several years of massive pay INCREASES - so boo hoo - sad pandas and tiny violins for the poor, poor Federal workers who are some of the highest paid employees in the nation today and the horrible oppression they suffer because their over-paid salaries have been frozen.

No - he does a mix of cheap, middle, and high. Problem is, not enough data exists because the HHS (who was supposed to supply data on the exchanges by now) has supplied only a tiny little propoganda blurb with no figures - so for many states the data doesn't exist yet. But the map accounts for that.
    That graph is a stupid comparison. Does the federal government employ a lot of illegal immigrant fruit pickers? How many teenage McDonald's workers are federal employees? Those two categories contain radically different industries and types of workers, of course their average pay is different.

Am I reading that graph right? Like a 5-6% pay increase per year on average? That's probably less than I get in the private sector. Shrug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Depends on what state you're in TBH.
    You can get the worst and the best in California! From liberal SF, to technology in the silicon valley, drive over to the agriculture of the central valley on your way to see the pristine Yosemite National park before you ski some slopes at Lake Tahoe. Then you can see the theme park Walt built within a few hours of the ghettos that brought us NWA. Skid row, the mexican drug cartels, all mix with hollywood and the celebrity circus. California is known for its environmental protectionism as it drains the colorado river to a trickle for southern California. Its definitely a contradiction to say you're from California, it could mean so many things.

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duallegend View Post
    Having read all this I'm glad to be an European. I mean we pay a ton more taxes but most people dont really care about that since most off it goes to good things instead of pointless wars etc.
    and that's why your middle class is about as prosperous as American poor... your extreme taxes suppress the economy assuring that the basics are covered.. but there's really no mobility from that point.. so sure.. your basic needs are met.. and if that's all you want.. more power to you

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    That graph is a stupid comparison. Does the federal government employ a lot of illegal immigrant fruit pickers? How many teenage McDonald's workers are federal employees? Those two categories contain radically different industries and types of workers, of course their average pay is different.

Am I reading that graph right? Like a 5-6% pay increase per year on average? That's probably less than I get in the private sector. Shrug.
    the point is that federal jobs and wages are increasing disproportionately to the private sector and state and local governments...
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    and that's why your middle class is about as prosperous as American poor... your extreme taxes suppress the economy assuring that the basics are covered.. but there's really no mobility from that point.. so sure.. your basic needs are met.. and if that's all you want.. more power to you

the point is that federal jobs and wages are increasing disproportionately to the private sector and state and local governments...
    "Prosperous" by what metric? The average HDI in most developed countries is higher than in the US, and said countries also have much lower poverty rates and higher rates of social mobility. They also enjoy shorter work hours and longer vacations. So yes, they may pay higher taxes - relatively higher, of course - but they live much better lives on average.

Or it could be showing that private sector jobs are not increasing proportionately to inflation, which is more correct.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Instead of comparing private sector wages to federal wages, why not compare each wage to the cost of living over the past 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    I hung out with some friends the other day and one has a wife and 8 year old stepson who are recent immigrants from Chile. The child overheard us talking as one of us mentioned how he hated his job and wanted a new one. The child chimed in and said "why dont you just go on Obamacare?" We laughed and asked him "whats Obamacare?" To which he responded "its when you don't like working and the government pays for you."

"Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is." -Yoda
    When I was 8, a classmate told me that Michael Dukakis would extend the school day from 8AM-3PM to 6AM-5PM and ban kickball, so I shouldn't vote for him in our 4th grade mock Presidential election.

Was that you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    the similarities between an 8 year old and a right winger are sobering.
    Same could be said about nearly any liberal I ever spoke with.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Same could be said about nearly any liberal I ever spoke with.
    what a comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It also compares average to average. Average wages will fluctuate not only because of actual pay increases/decreases, but also because of fluctuations in the entire labor pool. In other words, if a lot of people within a particular sector who make below average wages for that sector either leave or their employment is terminated, or otherwise do not remain constant as a percentage of the total workforce, the average wage for that sector will go up.

Which tells us nothing. What is the median educational requirement for a Federal employee compared to state or private sector employees? Has the Federal workforce been increasing, decreasing, or has it remained constant as a percentage of the total workforce? If its been changing, has the below-average wage Federal workforce been changing more than the above-average wage Federal workforce, or vice versa?

You guys really need to learn how to do an apples-to-apples comparison. It'll make it far more difficult for demagogues and charlatans to sell you bullshit.
    Last edited by Slybak; 2013-09-27 at 05:37 AM.

When liberals get their way and the nation becomes a coast-to-coast Detroit and collapses the survivors will be the exactly the type of people that liberals mock ...creating communities based on the values and ethics that liberals despise ...and succeeding once again because of the ambition and personal responsibility that liberals evade.

What American liberal voters can't seem to understand is that their leadership is warping every resonable concept. They've been so mentally abused that they can't see the majority opposition isn't against things like green energy, or improved health care, or immigration. What they're against is the vindictive malicious tactics of liberal leadership which invokes emotion from ignorant people using the guise of a general idea while deploying a strategy that has no chance of actually making it work and all along blaming the other side.

Please begin to question the motives of the people the the Daily Show tells you worship.

When liberals get their way and the nation becomes a coast-to-coast Detroit and collapses the survivors will be the exactly the type of people that liberals mock ...creating communities based on the values and ethics that liberals despise ...and succeeding once again because of the ambition and personal responsibility that liberals evade.

What American liberal voters can't seem to understand is that their leadership is warping every resonable concept. They've been so mentally abused that they can't see the majority opposition isn't against things like green energy, or improved health care, or immigration. What they're against is the vindictive malicious tactics of liberal leadership which invokes emotion from ignorant people using the guise of a general idea while deploying a strategy that has no chance of actually making it work and all along blaming the other side.

Please begin to question the motives of the people the the Daily Show tells you worship.
    wow, kind of hard to chew on all that crazy. gotta ask, how you go about your daily life without suddenly going into a panic attack at the thought of liberals existing...?

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frumper View Post
    Instead of comparing private sector wages to federal wages, why not compare each wage to the cost of living over the past 30 years.
    because that doesn't give an accurate picture of where the problem lies.. federal spending is suppressing the private sector
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

because that doesn't give an accurate picture of where the problem lies.. federal spending is suppressing the private sector
    elaborations are needed.

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    It also compares average to average. Average wages will fluctuate not only because of actual pay increases/decreases, but also because of fluctuations in the entire labor pool. In other words, if a lot of people within a particular sector who make below average wages for that sector either leave or their employment is terminated, or otherwise do not remain constant as a percentage of the total workforce, the average wage for that sector will go up.

Which tells us nothing. What is the median educational requirement for a Federal employee compared to state or private sector employees? Has the Federal workforce been increasing, decreasing, or has it remained constant as a percentage of the total workforce? If its been changing, has the below-average wage Federal workforce been changing more than the above-average wage Federal workforce, or vice versa?

You guys really need to learn how to do an apples-to-apples comparison. It'll make it far more difficult for demagogues and charlatans to sell you bullshit.
    the federal workforce has been rapidly increasing.. remember when Obama took office the federal budget was 2.7 trillion.. today (via CR) it's 3.8 trillion...

- - - Updated - - -

elaborations are needed.
    more spending > more debt > more taxes > less profit > cutbacks

it's that simple..

wow, kind of hard to chew on all that crazy. gotta ask, how you go about your daily life without suddenly going into a panic attack at the thought of liberals existing...?
    I've seen a lot of your comments and they're nearly always snarky remarks that add nothing to the conversation. Can you give us a reason why we should even read posts next to your name?

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    I've seen a lot of your comments and they're nearly always snarky remarks that add nothing to the conversation. Can you give us a reason why we should even read posts next to your name?
    careful zombergy... not being a liberal makes you about 50 time more likely to receive an infraction for posts like this..

10+ Year Old Account

it's that simple..
    It's not, actually, since taxes are not levied at a flat rate or at least should not be.

Furthermore, less profit does not translate to cutbacks. It translates to less profit; if they are making a profit then their operating costs are not causing them problems by definition.

it's that simple..
    this doesn't show me anything. I can agree federal spending is overblown in areas( military/bail outs for wall-street), but how are taxes hurting businesses? and WHAT businesses? for cereal I might take you serious if you explain further.

careful zombergy... not being a liberal makes you about 50 time more likely to receive an infraction for posts like this..
    Oh I'm 99% sure I'll have a banfraction when I log in next. G'nite