Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Archer/Bard Healing Limit Break

Anyone else not liking the fact that the Archer/Bard has a healing limit break?

This actually puts a hamper on me and my friends.

I'm currently playing a summoner (AOE damage LB), we have a paladin tank, a white mage healer, and a bard.

I would like to switch over to playing a Dragoon, which has a single target Limit Break... but that would leave us without an AOE limit break.

We would all love to see the archer/bard limit break be something like a "fiery rain of arrows" type move that does AOE damage.

Anyone else on here share that opinion? Or should I just go ahead and give up hoping that they'll make this change?

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a shame to be sure.

I hope they expand a lot on the Limit Break system as they add jobs, especially support jobs like Red Mage. Could use another LB for utility, something like a damage reduction on the entire raid or something. Situational but just as useful as any other LB.

I'm also rooting for personal Limit Breaks, something akin to FFXI's 2hr cooldowns.
    Last edited by -aiko-; 2013-09-24 at 09:17 PM. Reason: spelling and stuff, smartphones are hard

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    It is a shame to be sure.

I hope they expand a lot on the Limit Break system as they add jobs, especially support jobs like Red Mage. Could use another LB for utility, something like a damage reduction on the entire raid or something. Situational but just as useful as any other LB.

I'm also rooting for personal Limit Breaks, something akin to FFXI's 1hr cooldowns.
    Isn't that what the Tank Limit Break is? Or does it just absorb a flat amount of damage?

I think a good utility spell could be something along the lines of giving back a lump of MP/TP (depending on your class, eg. gives monks TP, but gives black mages MP). Instead of just increasing the regen amount of it, just gives back like 1000 MP/TP (kind of like elixers).

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, actually I think you might be right. I was under the impression that it absorbed X amount of damage, rather than reducing damage by X percent for X amount of seconds. Our tanks never, ever use it so honestly I'm not sure. Either way I guess they're too similar anyway.

I'm sure WHMs would kill for MP regen Limit Breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Hmm, actually I think you might be right. I was under the impression that it absorbed X amount of damage, rather than reducing damage by X percent for X amount of seconds. Our tanks never, ever use it so honestly I'm not sure. Either way I guess they're too similar anyway.

I'm sure WHMs would kill for MP regen Limit Breaks.
    I never played FFXIV 1.0 or FFXI, but personal limit breaks sound awesome!

I actually thought Bards should bring a party wide buff to spell & skill speed, so essentially a hero/lust. It would a) suit them to have a limit that buffs their party and b) is a pretty decent damage output and healing cd.

Quote Originally Posted by Gags View Post
    I actually thought Bards should bring a party wide buff to spell & skill speed, so essentially a hero/lust. It would a) suit them to have a limit that buffs their party and b) is a pretty decent damage output and healing cd.
    Mighty Gaurd as a limit break would be badass, Protect, Shell, Haste, Regen to whole party kind of thing.

The healer limit break isn't entirely worthless, at level three it raises everyone in addition to full heal. Once saved a party from a wipe by limit breaking after both healers died to an AOE and the primary tank went down from the healers being dead. Instantly brought everyone back up and we downed the boss.

So it's not entirely worthless.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Mighty Gaurd as a limit break would be badass, Protect, Shell, Haste, Regen to whole party kind of thing.

The healer limit break isn't entirely worthless, at level three it raises everyone in addition to full heal. Once saved a party from a wipe by limit breaking after both healers died to an AOE and the primary tank went down from the healers being dead. Instantly brought everyone back up and we downed the boss.

So it's not entirely worthless.
    Yeah agreed, the bard in our team has done a similar thing once. Pretty awesome when you think you're about to wipe and then BAM everyone's back up.

I am only level 47, but when I was running Qarns, it was a pretty nice save the day move that helped a few weaker groups get through some fights. I didn't think I would like it, but I think it fits the support feel of a bard.

There were times where I wished it was an aoe dmg or single target dmg. Other times im thankfull i had it.

I really would like it if there were class/job specific limit breaks. Most of them fit, but the heal limit break for a damage class just doesn't make sense to me.

eh i'm not a fan of party wide limit breaks tbh, i'd much rather have personal lb's
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

This makes BRDs more valuable in my opinion, not less.

If you're in a situation where you need healer LB3, either your healers are dead or are too busy keeping people alive to do it (it has a LONG cast time). Having someone who can do it but is not a healer is amazing and as someone who used to main a healer, I'd always love to have a BRD in the group whenever I do 8mans.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a bit odd, and makes doing any dungeon with more than one bard a real issue.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    It is a bit odd, and makes doing any dungeon with more than one bard a real issue.
    I don't know, I haven't really ran into a time where any class comp was an issue. Dungeons are fairly simple, haven't really had a comp make or break one for me.
    Last edited by Tazila; 2013-09-27 at 10:00 PM.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    That's debatable and would depend on the situation, in my opinion.

A BRD is able to bring a lot to the table in terms of utility and raw damage to mitigate the need to push a DD LB to come out on top if the fight goes south. You would have access to two songs when needed, excellent fight mobility, strong CDs, and can provide decent AOE. Sure, they'll get hit with the 20% damage debuff when they cast a song but it's not something you'll be using for the bulk of the fight and Foe Requiem usually makes you go OOM in no time until you start to put points in Piety.

I mean, if you get two or even one of the two BRD players in a light party who kind of half-ass their rotation, aren't providing consistent numbers and neglect their harp then yes, that's a problem but the same can be said for any other player who facerolls their keyboard.

If BRDs had a DD LB on top of their consistent damage potential and utility, we would likely see an influx of rerolls from camp DRG and other classes in general.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Bard's LB would have made sense if they were still an offhealing class with access to CNJ abilites, but they wanted it more damage focused yet left in the healing LB which is a trifle confusing from a gameplay standpoint. I do feel like they should drop Bard's damage somewhat and make the songs reduce damage by 10% rather than 20 but thats just a personal gameplay opinion.

BRD having a healing and res LB is a _MASSIVE_ boon for the class and for any raid group containing one.

We already have dps who can do single target LB (and frankly, melee wouldn't ever be brought if a ranged chr had it).
    We already have dps who can do multi-target aoe LB.
    We already have healers who can do heal/res LB.
    We don't have another dps who can do heal/res LB.

This means that the healers can continue to heal and do their normal duties while a healer LB is going out - and chances are that if you need to use a healer LB, you also need constant incoming healing and can more readily give up the DPS than the healing for the 2.5 seconds it takes to come out. It also means the healer doesn't get animation locked after the heal/res goes off.

I've never struggled in a dungeon, double bard or not - usually the highly mobile nature of bard damage means that limit break isn't really required. The one time in a dungeon where LB is really helpful (bees on demon wall), rotating binds on one of the bees has a similar effect (you can completely control one bee until the other is killed), meaning the fight is just slightly longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer having our bard LB if we need it rather than have a healer stop healing to cast the LB.

Quote Originally Posted by Kofisan View Post
    There were times where I wished it was an aoe dmg or single target dmg. Other times im thankfull i had it.
    *ONE* time I was thankful I had it. Fixed it for you.

Yes, it's stupid. One more common sense flaw in a game overflowing with common-sense flaws. They've basically removed limit breaks from one class for no good reason.
    Last edited by Venaliter; 2013-09-30 at 06:52 PM.