Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    I have a lifelong hatred of games that don't allow saves. Or have really sparse save points. Or put a really long boring bit before a really short very hard bit with no save in between so you have to keep re-doing all that shit over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Quick.
    Time.
    Events.

having a button pop up on the screen during a cinematic for me to push or I lose is the most annoying thing I've encountered in fully functional games.
    I've never understood why some people are so hostile to quicktime events. I usually enjoy them, and they're no big deal anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    The cover system in Mass Effect 1. I don't see the point of even going into cover. I can just stand behind something just as easily. I tend to get stuck on objects, and it aggravates the hell out of me. On that note, I hate the mako, too. And that damned mining quest. And I typically play fem!shep. Go away, Kaidan, I only want Garrus! I want to be nice and listen how Rahna broke his heart and all... but it doesn't mean I want to get into your pants!

And those puzzles... the Tower of Hanoi ones to be more specific. UGH. There was one in KOTOR, too.
    I feel like I'm the only person on earth who liked the Mako. But yeah the cover system was crap. Common in a lot of games. Worse than cover you don't need is cover that your character automatically enters when you're trying to do something else though.

Tower of Hanoi is pretty easy once you've done it a few times, but lights out puzzles drive me nuts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    The problem with ME1's cover mechanic was that it was automatic, so if I just wanted to walk buy a crate or something but I got to close, Shepard would cover. Or if I wanted to cover, too often I'd have to wiggle around to get it to cover for me, ME2/3 solves this by simply making it a key binding. Of course, in ME3 I'm constantly covering everytime I want to run somewhere . . .

As for elevators, if they weren't so damn slow and buggy . . . I swear I don't have a single ME1 playthrough where I did not get fucked over because the elevator got stuck and as a result, Shepard and crew got stuck on the elevator. Now in every game, whether its ME or not, I hit quicksave if I so much as see an elevator nearby.
    Really? I never had an issue with the elevators.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    B/c we should let you continue to make meaningful actions after having your throat slit or your spinal cord stabbed right?
    What makes you think it didn't just graze your arm instead?

If we're going to make a realistic FPS then everyone gets 1 hit point. Yay?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

QTE by far, followed by things like daze in wow, and artificial time extenders (side-quests).

That Borderlands style "Fight to Survive" bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by sith View Post
    That Borderlands style "Fight to Survive" bullshit.
    I like that. I mean, if I died there I'd just save scum anyway :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mini Maps in FPS games that show where other people are. You should have to use sound and your eyes to find someone. Not a red dot.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Unskippable cinematics before bossfights when you don't have the option to save. Yeah, sure, I want to go through this dialogue five-six times until I finally figure out how to defeat this boss.
    Yes. And I'm remember one game with skippable cut scenes. I'm thinking either FFX or FFX-2. And there was another game where you could skip em the second time if you died.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turin View Post
    Limited bag space. Christ, just let me fill my bag with however much crap I want.
    Related, carrying capacity in games. Seriously, if Lara Croft can hide 20 guns in her bra, you can carry a little more crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    How much stuff in your bag dictating how fast you run. Dragon's Dogshitma had this and it pissed me off. Why add it? Immersion? Is making your game immersive really worthy making it tedious as fuck?
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2013-09-27 at 09:50 AM.

I have a problem with platformers. I hate when all enemies can hurt you by running into you. This sometimes makes no sense.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What makes you think it didn't just graze your arm instead?

If we're going to make a realistic FPS then everyone gets 1 hit point. Yay?
    B/c the insta kill knife moves show you jamming a blade into someone's eye/throat/spine. I don't know of any game where you can just randomly slash with the knife at a distance and instantly kill them. It takes like 4-6 swings to do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Loaf Lord View Post
    How much stuff in your bag dictating how fast you run. Dragon's Dogshitma had this and it pissed me off. Why add it? Immersion? Is making your game immersive really worthy making it tedious as fuck?
    Well Murph, it is annoying to me as well but the short answer to your question is yes. It's opportunity cost to force your gameplay down certain avenues. Take Skyrim for example. Your power grows over time, as does your wealth, item collection, and ability to carry more things. It is tied into the leveling system, the reality presented in the game, and serves to force you into towns, your home, and to vendor things in the beginning of the game.

You are an adventurer just getting started, so yes it's a much better design the way they implemented it than simply letting you carry 1,000 steel shields in your underpants. Granted that game is better b/c you can use mods to get around it. I used a bandolier bags mod where I could craft extra bags that allowed me more weight, but it was still following the game's principles.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Poison, doesnt matter if its Dota 2, wow, dark souls or whatever, i fucking hate poison.
    oh yeah and unskipable cinematics and such
    Last edited by mmoc15645c0f5b; 2013-09-27 at 02:00 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    Unskippable cut scenes/Cinematics.

And unskippable dialog in games or Dialog that moves really slow.
    This. The first time I play something, I do watch all cut scenes and read through all dialogues. But, if it's a good game and I replay it, it sucks to have to watch all cutscenes and dialogues again. On the other side, I don't mind it that much if they're very well made. E.g. in SC2 I watched almost all cinematics again when replaying the campaign (though they would be skippable).

And another thing, if it can be categorized as game mechanic: Interfaces / controls only made for consoles, and not changed for mouse and keyboard on the PC version of the game. E.g. the Skyrim talent trees, or the Dungeon Siege 3 action bars.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsta View Post
    E.g. the Skyrim talent trees
    Uggh. Yes. It takes me 5 minutes to even navigate to the thing I want to upgrade that half the time I just forget about it. Even clicking on exactly what you want with the mouse has very unpredictable results.
    BAD WOLF

Cut scenes are not a game mechanic...

Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    Double press/tap to sprint is my number one most hated mechanic. Just thinking about it boils my piss.
    The fook? In all games? Double tap sprint is amazing in 2D.

Go back to sickbay and give yourself a Diagnostic "Bob"

...Friggin' Trekkies
    Last edited by HoopyFrood; 2013-09-27 at 03:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kill cams. I mean like Assassin's Creed 3 ans Skyrim type things. YES I KNOW I STABBED HIM IN THE FACE. No need to show me in slow motion...

Deleted
    Stuns. I fucking hate them. It's fine when it happens rarely but when you fight a pack of mobs and they all have a stun, you end up stunned 24/7.