Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What to do in bouts of unemployment?

After some misfortune I find myself unemployed.

I'm just curious to know what other people do with themselves when they're unemployed? It's a very common problem in Europe especially with the younger generation. Waking up feeling you have no real purpose can get very depressing. I'm applying for jobs but to sit around and do nothing until I find one seems, like a waste of time.

I've been trying to keep myself busy by upping my exercise and reading more, but apart from the exercise nothing serves much purpose. I did a TEFL course a few weeks back because I've always been interested in teaching abroad. I guess the next step would be to learn a foreign language.

TLR - How do you make the most of your time when unemployed?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurome View Post
    After some misfortune I find myself unemployed.

I'm just curious to know what other people do with themselves when they're unemployed? It's a very common problem in Europe especially with the younger generation. Waking up feeling you have no real purpose can get very depressing. I'm applying for jobs but to sit around and do nothing until I find one seems, like a waste of time.

I've been trying to keep myself busy by upping my exercise and reading more, but apart from the exercise nothing serves much purpose. I did a TEFL course a few weeks back because I've always been interested in teaching abroad. I guess the next step would be to learn a foreign language.

TLR - How do you make the most of your time when unemployed?
    Well it depends in what country you wish to teach and at what level. You don't need to know Mandarin to teach English in China or almost any country.

If you want to teach in high school or college etc, you need to know the language, of course. Same with teaching say, French in Germany, I'd imagine you would need to know German to teach it at all ages unless they had a bi-lingual assistant, not entirely sure how it works.

If it's China you're looking at then let me know, one of my cousins is doing the same thing.

I am currently unemployed. I just finished graduate school but have a significant trip in December with my family which will leave me gone 12 days. I decided to not look for a job until I am back because I didn't want to start a new job and then ask for 12 days off. I found a volunteer job working as a manager that goes until the end of October. It looks good on a resume because I don't have a large gap in my graduation date and then looking for a full time job.

I also spend extra time with my parents and husband, do some local travel and just enjoy the free time before going back to work full time.

Not unemployed myself but have you looked into volunteer work? It's something you can most likely combine with job seeking and it's something you can put on your CV and at the same time you are doing something good for sociaty.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

- Do some volunteering. Always good on your resume and keeps you in the working mindset.

- Study and/or learn a new skill (languages, learn to paint, take up digital art, buy a cheap instrument and learn to play etc.). The internet has a wealth from free guides to learn new skills from home.

- Take every course your employment agency will throw at you. The more things you know how to do the better.

- Try to come up with an idea to start your own business from home, even if it's small and just makes a little extra cash at first.

- Join hobby groups / clubs / fitness groups if there are any around for things that interest you. Sometimes just knowing the right person can get you work.

Every one of the above can both assist you being a better candidate for various jobs as well as give you something constructive and/or fun to do. I was unemployed for a long time and found that starting my own business was the way to go. I know where I am there is a whole separate department that assists unemployed people in starting their own enterprise (including financial assistance), worth looking into if you have a solid idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Waking up feeling you have no real purpose...
    No offense, but is working the only "real purpose" in your life?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    No offense, but is working the only "real purpose" in your life?
    Not at all, but without a job(money) there's only so much you can do.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    after being sacked from my last job for gross misconduct ( apparently posting things on Facebook about the clients wasn't allowed ) lol, i spend my time looking for jobs, i bought myself a graphics tablet and took up drawing manga and made myself a website. took sometime to study up on networking so i can go back to college in January to resit the units i didn't pass. but i see where you are coming from it is soul destroying when u apply for 20+ jobs per day and get no response or you get a email saying u were unsuccessful.

Try to volunteer (could lead you to a job).
    exercise, read (something useful, not like twilight or 50 shades of grey), pick up a cheap hobby

don't sit around and watch tv all day though. (as tempting as that is) or browsing sites like reddit (mmo-champ is ok though!)
    Last edited by bals; 2013-09-25 at 03:27 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    Try to volunteer (could lead you to a job).
    exercise, read (something useful, not like twilight or 50 shades of grey), pick up a cheap hobby

don't sit around and watch tv all day though. (as tempting as that is) or browsing sites like reddit (mmo-champ is ok though!)
    It's obvious you're going to be playing video games / watching TV more but I try to accomplish AT LEAST two things a day. That might be an hour of spanish or taking my time on a really good covering letter.

I'm reading A Song of Ice and Fire, Feast for Crows at the moment. Does that have your approval? :P

I have plenty of hobbies but I can't really do any of them at home (Tennis, Football, Drums are my main ones). I really want to start writing a novel, does anyone have any advice on where I can get a good creative writing book or how-to-write-a-good-book guides?

I've looked into volunteering but nothing really interests me. Most of it is care work (taking care of old people) and to be honest I couldn't think of anything worse.

Thanks for the advice people. I'm from the UK btw.

Deleted
    Wank yourself into a coma.
    Develop a serious drug habit.

Well it's better than a lot of things, but you should try to pick up some books that are useful to what work you were doing before, or work you might want to do and alternate between reading a fun book and a more serious book. Always good to grab a few of the classic books that make you think about the world and a more rounded person.

There is tons of volunteering in the states, I think you're sorely mistaken if you think it's primarily taking care of old people. Check http://www.volunteering.org.uk/ http://www.do-it.org.uk/ for uk stuff

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Wank yourself into a coma.
    Develop a serious drug habit.
    I think the first one is mandatory when you're unemployed

Stop buying slave made iToys that ship all the jobs you could be working to Asia.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Los Santos View Post
    Stop buying slave made iToys that ship all the jobs you could be working to Asia.
    Change the record already, there is a reason your thread was locked. People do not want to hear your rants.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Change the record already, there is a reason your thread was locked. People do not want to hear your rants.
    Right, how dare I be against slavery killing the world economy. I'm obviously the bad guy here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Los Santos View Post
    Right, how dare I be against slavery killing the world economy. I'm obviously the bad guy here.
    I suggest you read the forum rules, seriously.

Yes, unless I want to end up like the OP of this thread and get banned for having an opinion by mods on power trips.

I've got a feeling he's an alt account of one of the usuals who is taking a forum "vacation". Soon to also be taking a forum "vacation".

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    I've got a feeling he's an alt account of one of the usuals who is taking a forum "vacation". Soon to also be taking a forum "vacation".
    Asking why people worship slavery to have iToys obviously means I should be banned and was probably banned previously.