Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Idea for improved Firemage AoE

    Firemage currently is one of the worst AoE Classes against anything beyond Cleave. And for Cleave you need big rampup and its only mediocre at best.

    Frost is good for AoE because of its mechanics, while Arcane is good simply because it scales with its mastery. Why cant Fire AoE Scale with Mastery too?

    My "idea":
    Take away Arcane Explosion from Firemages and give them a new Version of Blastwave!
    It shouldnt be a 1:1 change that would lead to spamming Blastwave every GCD instead of Arcane Explosion. Make it work similar to the D3 Explosive Blast with Chainreaction Glyph.

    Blastwave - Instant - No CD
    2 Seconds after Activation you cause a fiery Explosion that deals x Fire Damage every 0,5 Seconds for 4 Seconds to all Enemies within 15 yards. Deals increased Damage to targets afflicted by Flame Strike.
    Causes Ignite.

    Of course it can't stack so you want to activate it 2sec after it starts dealing DMG for max Damage. And you want to put down a flamestrike before. (activate Blastwave -> cast Flamestrike -> do something else for 1-2 GCDs -> activate Blastwave).

    It currently just sucks to try to do any AoE as a Firemage because 95% of the other classes will own you in Recount as soon as there are small windows of AoE DMG.

    Other solution:

    Now that Combustion is nerfed to the ground just let make it spreadable to all targets again... even if you get a good 100k DMG Combustion it wouldnt be that overpowered because Demo Warlocks and Arcane Mages do the same numbers for AoE without preparation.

  2. #2
    Just have Arcabr Explosion but a fire animation instead and have it apply ignite.

  3. #3
    They need to update flame strike. Such a cool iconic spell that is absolutely pathetic atm.

  4. #4
    High Overlord Henzington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    184
    I remember a time not so long ago when combustion was an aoe ability those were the golden days.

  5. #5
    Gief channeled, non cooldown, flamebreath that deals some damage while doing a small side effect like; reducing move speed by 20% or increases damage taken by flamestrike by x% per channeled second stacking up to y times.
    Great way to use the new monk animations aswel!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Henzington View Post
    I remember a time not so long ago when combustion was an aoe ability those were the golden days.
    I'd say it was far from golden.. Fire was seriously underpowered on single target during start of cata, cause of combustion cleave. And most fights just happened to have no cleave at all. And combustion cleaving back then was just way too overpowered when we actually got to do it. But when we didn't combustion even Ignite cleaving beat out using Flamestrike as even if flamestrike spam made more dps, it used so much mana that you went oom if you had to spam it.

    Fire AoE hasn't been good in ages, I can't really remember WotLK AoE, but at least Cata--> now fire aoe(outside of combustion timings) has been 1 of the weakest in game.

  7. #7
    Yeah, Fire AOE is sad. The problem is that there's no synergy between spells. Arcane has mastery buffing AOE, Frost has FoF procs from Frozen Orb and Blizzard. Fire has only Infernal Blast cleave, which is cleave, not AOE. Flamestrike should at least cause Ignite.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    Yeah, Fire AOE is sad. The problem is that there's no synergy between spells. Arcane has mastery buffing AOE, Frost has FoF procs from Frozen Orb and Blizzard. Fire has only Infernal Blast cleave, which is cleave, not AOE. Flamestrike should at least cause Ignite.
    All specs have blizzard/flamestrike/cone of cold (you forgot this one its key currently)/Arcane Explosion ontop of that all have mage bombs.

    Fire is clunky and too RNG based yes but just thought i'd point out your comparison was missing clarity
    Quote Originally Posted by Equim View Post
    I really don't see anything wrong with playing what you enjoy. Be it Frost, Fire, Arcane or Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Salystra View Post
    All specs have blizzard/flamestrike/cone of cold (you forgot this one its key currently)/Arcane Explosion ontop of that all have mage bombs.

    Fire is clunky and too RNG based yes but just thought i'd point out your comparison was missing clarity
    He was saying what each spec has as their own not what they share. Either way it's pretty crap with arcane AE/NT spam being the least crap

  10. #10
    Dreadlord Jawless Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The last place you look
    Posts
    989
    modify blizzard into Frostfire storm?

    still slows, causes ignite, fire now has good aoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    I'd say it was far from golden.. Fire was seriously underpowered on single target during start of cata, cause of combustion cleave. And most fights just happened to have no cleave at all. And combustion cleaving back then was just way too overpowered when we actually got to do it. But when we didn't combustion even Ignite cleaving beat out using Flamestrike as even if flamestrike spam made more dps, it used so much mana that you went oom if you had to spam it.

    Fire AoE hasn't been good in ages, I can't really remember WotLK AoE, but at least Cata--> now fire aoe(outside of combustion timings) has been 1 of the weakest in game.
    Don't forget, Impact procs weren't guaranteed and if you were very unlucky the adds would be at half health before the game would let you spread your Combustion on to any of them

  12. #12
    Pit Lord Alltat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Scandinavia
    Posts
    2,453
    Just buff Flamestrike? There is already an iconic fire AoE spell that's been around since Warcraft III. No need to complicate things beyond that.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Alltat View Post
    Just buff Flamestrike? There is already an iconic fire AoE spell that's been around since Warcraft III. No need to complicate things beyond that.
    Simple solution but also most lazy and inefficient in the respect its a drop it and forget spell and can be moved out of.


    Frostfire blizzard sounds good but personally just like I have said about tier gear on another thread I would like to see the gear and "shared" spells change to the relevant spec, making firestorm/blizzard/arcane shower etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Equim View Post
    I really don't see anything wrong with playing what you enjoy. Be it Frost, Fire, Arcane or Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

  14. #14
    The point is:
    Fire AoE needs to scale better and/or have more synergies with other spells.
    Like i said Arcane AoE scales with Mastery and has Synergies with Arcane Charges, moreover you regenerate Mana while spamming AE (and mana = DMG) which is a nice synergy too.
    Frost has synergies with FoF, Shatter and most importantly has Frozen Orb as an exclusive very powerful AoE-Spell.

    Doesn't really matter which way they buff it. My idea with the new Blastwave is just to make it a little bit more creative. But Frostfire-Storm interacting with Flamestrike-DoT and Mastery sounds ok too. Or just a Fiery Explosion instead of Arcane Explosion which causes ignite. Or simply make Dragons Breath and Flamestrike hit really hard. Or let combustion spread to more targets... so many options, but blizzard is always afraid of making fire too good, so we are either underpowered or overpowered only rarely "balanced".

  15. #15
    Frost's AOE doesn't really have synergy with FoF, because the only FoF consuming spell you can use to hit more than one target caps at two targets

    That's actually worse Synergy than Fire has, with Inferno Blast

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Frost's AOE doesn't really have synergy with FoF, because the only FoF consuming spell you can use to hit more than one target caps at two targets

    That's actually worse Synergy than Fire has, with Inferno Blast
    Also missed the part where FoF/Ice lance do not benefit from mastery at all.


    Also at over poster regarding AE as Arcane you forget that alot of the time going into cleeve/mob range will get you or your raid killed such as Garrosh which leaves you with NT and Barrage spam only (not including shared flamestrike).
    Last edited by Salystra; 2013-09-26 at 02:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equim View Post
    I really don't see anything wrong with playing what you enjoy. Be it Frost, Fire, Arcane or Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

  17. #17
    Frosts AoE is just as bad if Frozen Orb is on cooldown. Seriously, once a minute we get an Orb, then we spam Blizzard/Flame Strike/Bombs? Fuuuuuun. Better then fire but only by a little.

    Frost needs the Rain of Fire (Destruction) equivilant with Blizzard, Fire needs a revamp on Flamestrike to make it instant cast and have the DOT actually do the most significant damage. Arcane has Arcane Explosion with Mastery hax, so they should be fine (haven't played Arcane in a while, but Explosion spamming in a Ring of Powers radius sounds annoying).

    Nether Tempest is no longer the best dot, and Living Bomb on 3 targets isn't getting the same amount of damage in trash. I am sick of pulling the worst numbers in Dark Shamans as Fire.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowserkills7 View Post
    Frosts AoE is just as bad if Frozen Orb is on cooldown. Seriously, once a minute we get an Orb, then we spam Blizzard/Flame Strike/Bombs? Fuuuuuun. Better then fire but only by a little.

    Frost needs the Rain of Fire (Destruction) equivilant with Blizzard, Fire needs a revamp on Flamestrike to make it instant cast and have the DOT actually do the most significant damage. Arcane has Arcane Explosion with Mastery hax, so they should be fine (haven't played Arcane in a while, but Explosion spamming in a Ring of Powers radius sounds annoying).
    .
    I still don't understand why blizzard is still targeted channel (only one left afaik).

    Arcane Explosion while in RoP is fine except its also deadly not just annoying, on garrosh you could cause a wipe due to the weapon throw and thats not the only mechanic which could get you or raid killed. AE really needs a ranged option like blizzard but not channeled (as blizzard should also be) we are ranged.

    This however I know will cause other gameplay issues as AE is awesome for moving while killing (as long as you dont expect high DPS )
    Quote Originally Posted by Equim View Post
    I really don't see anything wrong with playing what you enjoy. Be it Frost, Fire, Arcane or Hello Kitty Island Adventure.

  19. #19
    Dreadlord Spellweaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by Salystra View Post
    I still don't understand why blizzard is still targeted channel (only one left afaik).

    Arcane Explosion while in RoP is fine except its also deadly not just annoying, on garrosh you could cause a wipe due to the weapon throw and thats not the only mechanic which could get you or raid killed. AE really needs a ranged option like blizzard but not channeled (as blizzard should also be) we are ranged.

    This however I know will cause other gameplay issues as AE is awesome for moving while killing (as long as you dont expect high DPS )
    But you shouldn't really be actively AoEing the adds on Garrosh in the first place.

    A better example of AE being deadly would be the oozes on Dark Shaman, as you can't exactly run into the oozes and start AEing.

    WoW: Zebrin | TERA: Rintha | GW2: Nezira Cinderclaw

  20. #20
    Because now that it is the only remaining spell to be targetted and channeled, it is unique!

    I've said before that I'd like it a lot if it had some channeling/casting integration like mistweavers, like you can cast Ice Lance while channeling Blizzard and it will hit all targets with reduced damage (and consume the FoF stacks Blizzard builds that you can't use) or something like that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •