Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Several mobs cant be taunted, Timeless Elites, Warbringers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Then they should have fixed that, not nerfed Growl for every mob 2+ levels above me.
    is a fix for overall raiding, they dont want you tanking with your pets in raids.

Could I just point out that I believe that Growl is in fact broken as it has been changed to not be only a taunt but also a +threat buff for the pet. The pet should still be using it, if you have it turned on.

spell=2649 growl

Your pet growls at the target, generating threat, taunting the target to attack the pet, and increasing threat that your pet generates against the target by 200% for 3 sec.

for what it's worth, i find that my pet is generating zero threat on some mobs - for example, i can kite a death adder down to 60-70% myself with my pet attacking it the whole time, and me manually taunting with my pet on CD, yet if i then feign, stay down for ~5 seconds or so, i'll then come up and immediately retake aggro, as if the pet isn't there at all. i'd noticed this when soloing older raids pre 5.4, also.

i've experienced no such problems on my lock - the VW holds aggro on anything, like a champ, be it a raid boss, death adder or one of the ordos elites.

Quote Originally Posted by Khetagurov View Post
    for what it's worth, i find that my pet is generating zero threat on some mobs - for example, i can kite a death adder down to 60-70% myself with my pet attacking it the whole time, and me manually taunting with my pet on CD, yet if i then feign, stay down for ~5 seconds or so, i'll then come up and immediately retake aggro, as if the pet isn't there at all. i'd noticed this when soloing older raids pre 5.4, also.

i've experienced no such problems on my lock - the VW holds aggro on anything, like a champ, be it a raid boss, death adder or one of the ordos elites.
    That's because the Voidwalker has the equivalent of Defensive Stance: all its attacks generate extra aggro while it's active. Hunter pets on the other hand keep aggro by taunting frequently with Growl, they don't have a general threat modifier regardless of whether they're specced Tenacity or not.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aretak View Post
    I think it's a fair trade-off. Warlocks have to work harder to keep their pet alive, Hunters have to work harder to manage their threat.
    When soloing on my hunter, Spirit Bond typically keeps my tenacity-spec spirit beast topped off against a single Ordon elite. If not, I burn a GCD every 10s at most to apply Mend Pet, and then only the summoned golems pose any sort of threat.

When soloing on my warlock (about 10 item levels lower than my hunter), Soul Leech -- even post-nerf -- has such near-100% uptime that Void Shield doesn't drop below its initial 60% value, and combined with the Void Lord's almost 70k armor (it's taking only about 16% of incoming physical damage by then, and 40% of magical), its health bar never even moves when tanking two at once.

The hunter pet has the advantage of passive regen and high on-demand healing that doesn't require actively dpsing a target. The warlock pet has the advantage of much higher mitigation along with (talented) absorbs and a (talented) trickle of healing (for patching up any damage that gets through) as long as its master is nuking something. The latter doesn't require a lot of additional maintenance compared the former (actually ... less) unless you're really pushing the envelope for solo content (a description for which, in my mind, the Isle doesn't qualify).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ... even if the target is immune to taunts, doesn't the pet still receive the new (as of 5.4) 200% bonus threat for a few seconds regardless? If that's the case, I'd really appreciate it if the AI could be fixed to Growl on CD regardless of target immunity in the near future.

There's no need either way. Hunters get something Warlocks don't: Misdirection. It's off the GCD, has no cooldown when used on your pet if you use the glyph and so it can be macroed into every shot you want. Playing around with MM, I macroed it to just Chimera Shot and Aimed Shot and threat stopped being an issue entirely. 200% bonus threat for a few seconds after Growl is not going to make much of a difference either way, because the pet simply doesn't hit hard enough to produce enough threat to keep things off the Hunter even with the modifier, unless it's casting Kill Command.

Comparing my Warlock and my Hunter, I find the Hunter to see just plain superior. Mend Pet (specially glyphed) is just too damn good, and threat is not an issue anyway with Misdirection being up for 90% of my shots. Sure, the pet seems to take a little bit more damage, but in the end I've had more success with the Hunter with Spirit Bond.
    Last edited by Holtzmann; 2013-10-01 at 04:28 PM.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    When soloing on my hunter, Spirit Bond typically keeps my tenacity-spec spirit beast topped off against a single Ordon elite. If not, I burn a GCD every 10s at most to apply Mend Pet, and then only the summoned golems pose any sort of threat.

When soloing on my warlock (about 10 item levels lower than my hunter), Soul Leech -- even post-nerf -- has such near-100% uptime that Void Shield doesn't drop below its initial 60% value, and combined with the Void Lord's almost 70k armor (it's taking only about 16% of incoming physical damage by then, and 40% of magical), its health bar never even moves when tanking two at once.

The hunter pet has the advantage of passive regen and high on-demand healing that doesn't require actively dpsing a target. The warlock pet has the advantage of much higher mitigation along with (talented) absorbs and a (talented) trickle of healing (for patching up any damage that gets through) as long as its master is nuking something. The latter doesn't require a lot of additional maintenance compared the former (actually ... less) unless you're really pushing the envelope for solo content (a description for which, in my mind, the Isle doesn't qualify).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ... even if the target is immune to taunts, doesn't the pet still receive the new (as of 5.4) 200% bonus threat for a few seconds regardless? If that's the case, I'd really appreciate it if the AI could be fixed to Growl on CD regardless of target immunity in the near future.
    That is because everything on the timeless isle has wet noodle melee attacks with almost all their damage tied to dodge-able ground targeted attacks. When mobs actually do a lot of damage hunter pets are much much tankier than a voidlord because of mend pet. Just try to solo warbringers or dinos on both to see the difference.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Just try to solo warbringers or dinos on both to see the difference.
    I have. The Void Lord takes next to no damage from Warbringers. The major problem with them is lack of Feign Death and four times the cooldown on the most similar ability (Soulshatter) when I pull off my pet during a fear like the noob that I am.

I haven't tried Isle of Giants big dinos on either character since 5.4. I'll have to give them a try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    I have. The Void Lord takes next to no damage from Warbringers. The major problem with them is lack of Feign Death and four times the cooldown on the most similar ability (Soulshatter) when I pull off my pet during a fear like the noob that I am.

I haven't tried Isle of Giants big dinos on either character since 5.4. I'll have to give them a try again.
    The voidlord takes a lot of damage now from warbringers, warlocks now use their t5 2p to keep up their voidlord.

blizz really needs to fix this. just toss kalgan out of the building and all these stupid problems will go away. get that "fackler" idiot out of the gaming industry!