Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbubble View Post
    The fights aren't harder...there are just WAY more things to know about a fight.
    All fight mechanics are planned, and can be dealt with in predictable manners.
    That being said, the amount of knowledge a raider has to know for each boss is honestly getting a little out of hand.
    There are so many mechanics for each fight, that, in order to know every aspect of the fight requires a lot of studying.
    Look at some of the fights in the dungeon journal....there are some that are ~10 pages long!

The journal is a terrible way to research fights, really. A vast amount of the mechanics can be dealt with by knowing a few things:

1) Kill adds. I can't think of a fight where, if the boss summons adds, you ignore them. The adds always die. It might only be some of the raid that's tasked with doing this, but the adds die.

2) Interrupt bad things. See the elite adds in Horridon for the best recent example, but in most cases if a mob is casting a spell you want to interrupt it. Again, details might vary - if you're a 10 person raid and short on interrupts you might choose to interrupt Spell A and let B go through, but...

3) Stay/get out of bad things. Fire, axes, void zones... all bad. Move out of them or stay out of them. Do this even at the cost of interrupting a cast because while your performance dips when doing that your performance really sucks when you're dead.

4) Do your role well. This is knowing your class well and having a good handle on its abilities coupled with some knowledge and experience of a fight. Healers should know when to toss out the aoe heal, when to focus on the tanks, etc. DPS should know their priorities and be able to use abilities when they're off CD. Tanks should know how and when to taunt, how to kite, etc. Again, some of this will take practice, but it's not HARD.

Do that and you will be fine in 90% of fights. Yes, there are some fights with odd mechanics but those four points get you most of the way there on the vast majority of fights. Do those and you'll be fine in LFR and probably Flex. In heroic? Yeah ,you need to know more but at that point, you're a heroic raider and kind of cede the right to complain that raiding is hard or complex.

10+ Year Old Account
    The actual difficulty of raiding in wow has gone up, but only if you take amount of mechanics as the bar for difficulty. As someone else in this thread stated, many of mechanics now can almost be ignored and are just there for some flavor. A lot of words makes things look difficult, but a 500 page Manuel on how to spell the word "Umbrella" makes it look more difficult than it actually is.

I personally think what has happened to raiding since the old days was difficulty migration. In Vanilla/BC the ability to play a class was the only true challenge. The mechanics where gross motor and easy to deal with, IF you knew how your class would need to react to every situation. And the class challenge was not this shit priority system every class has, which I have not been a fan of since day one. I really liked the rotations of wrath. Because what they allowed for was very difficult mechanics. I remember playing on any one of my classes I had a very simple rotation, but if you fucked it up, it was a stark dps loss. You had to muscle memory your way through situations, and flip on the fly on mechanics. But now we have priorities. And I for example played a DK through Wrath and up until now he has stayed current content, but the class itself has huge flaws within the priority system, much like other classes. First and foremost being Procs. Procs them selves inherently are a great thing, but in some classes cases, they are not.

For example on my dk, there are times where I am resource flooded, and other times I'm literally not doing anything for 4-5 sec sometimes longer when I'm waiting for soul Reaper. enough runes for a couple attacks, almost full runic power, both procs, so I have to choose between the least dps lost. I can't feel good about it. Same with other classes I play. The point being I'm staring at resources almost the whole fight and not able to enjoy the aesthetics of any encounter. I honestly couldn't tell you what the areas look like for just about any boss from MOP. Everything is to focused on dealing with your own resources, My eye's are constantly switching between my Resource addon, and DBM. Very boring.
    Last edited by Huckfealing; 2013-10-04 at 10:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluttershy View Post
    No boss is easier than lucifron.
    Every boss in hyjal save Archimonde. Azgalor was especially a joke. I remember afking through my first attempt after receiving the mark and running to the tank spot. BRILLIANT BC RAIDING right there....

Unquestionably raiding is more complex and that in and of itself is serving as a huge barrier to entry. Even just playing ones class is more complex as well.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2013-10-04 at 11:10 PM.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlaloc View Post
    In Vanilla/BC the ability to play a class was the only true challenge.
    I'm sorry but I just had to point this out as utterly hilarious. Think back to the class you played most in vanilla, how many buttons did you NEED in a raid. I needed two, shield wall and SUNDER ARMOR. That said the boss mechanics in Vanilla were also piss easy, the difficulty came from having FORTY people in the raid.

I must pause here and honor the great and wonderful Baron Geddon, may his soul be forever respected in the memory of WoW players.

Raid difficulties are fine, if you've done lfr and flex modes in siege you can clearly see the content established for all levels of the community. Things could use more adjustments sure, but it is moving in the right direction rather than the wrong one.

As for Player skill, I don't think it's actually increasing or decreasing over time. The best players are always still the ones who play like the game is a job, that just makes sense. The only thing we see is a wide gap between the top and the bottom, but this is only because so many MORE gamers exist now than back in the 90s. The pros are still pros, the casual are still casual, and there will always be bads.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

15+ Year Old Account
    Why don't you compare Paragons of the Klaxxi to a different TBC fight? A TBC fight, where, maybe, Oh, I don't know. THERE'S MORE THAN ONE TARGET!?!?

Compare it to High King Maulgar. HKM has two phases and a couple of abilities to watch out for. Krosh has 2 abilities to watch for. Olm the Summoner has a pet with it's own abilities, as well as two important raid mechanics. Kiggler the Crazed has two abilities to watch out for as well as 2 more damage abilities. Blind Eye heals the other raid targets with several abilities. HURRR RAIDING IS HARD NOW.

Illidari Council? No? How about M'uru? Still no? You don't want to compare a Council fight that requires a high degree of control to another Council fight? You just want to compare it to a DPS check fight? Compare Brutallus to Patchwerk. Oh, they've got the exact same number of mechanics.

I know I'm trolling, but Jesus, your post isn't even a post. You put a question in the title and then instead of making an argument you posted up two fight descriptions and said nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    And I remember playing my rogue back in Vanilla/BC and being able to kill people naked just by out playing them. And in pve it wasnt that the classes where difficult, it's that having 40 people was difficult and each one knows what to do.

15+ Year Old Account
    Healing was also one of the complicated things in vanilla, back when Mana ment something u'know.
    But yeah, to me normal modes already feel like the bosses of vanilla/TBC when it comes to all the shit you have to pay attention to, Heroic modes now are an awful lot harder than 'back in the day'. Quite frankly I get a bit tired these days, when I see that very soon my guild will start on Paragons and I get a wall of text critting me, I almost cba anymore.

How else would they keep raid encounters fresh? They can't all be 3 mechanic fights.