New PC - GPU 'fans facing down'

Hey, So as the title reads I just got a new PC,

One which i enquired about on these forums, just delivered so I thought i'd take the side casing of too take a look,

What I can see is that the supplied MSI GTX 770 is essentially upside down, with fans facing the bottom.

Is this normal? Cant say I've ever seen something like this before. It could be that the Fans are too large to be facing the normal way up but anyhow, is this normal?

Thanks

I can upload pics if needed!

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly can't remember I saw a GPU with upward facing fans so, yes, I'd say it was normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Samdalf View Post
    Hey, So as the title reads I just got a new PC,

One which i enquired about on these forums, just delivered so I thought i'd take the side casing of too take a look,

What I can see is that the supplied MSI GTX 770 is essentially upside down, with fans facing the bottom.

Is this normal? Cant say I've ever seen something like this before. It could be that the Fans are too large to be facing the normal way up but anyhow, is this normal?

Thanks

I can upload pics if needed!

Yes it is completely normal 99% of the time. The only time your going to get a GPU vertical is in a miniITX case or something similar where there simply is not enough room for it to be horizontal.

Fans pointing down collect less dust than fans pointing up too. That and it's probably good for the motor in the fan(keeps it flat).
    Last edited by tielknight; 2013-09-26 at 12:50 PM.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember also that those are intake fans; the card vents out the back of your machine. Thermodynamically, it's bringing in cooler air by facing down than if it were facing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorphius View Post
    Remember also that those are intake fans; the card vents out the back of your machine. Thermodynamically, it's bringing in cooler air by facing down than if it were facing up.
    That whole "hot air rises, cool air descends" schtick still applies oddly enough

Reason why people usually have fans on the front-bottom sucking in air and fans at the top-back/top blow out air.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Ah I seem very silly now, I did think as much..

Just looks a bit funny with the barebone board showing when they put so much effort into making the fans look awesome, but oh well!

Cheers guys

You can't get a GPU in the wrong way regardless due to the structure of a PCIe slot.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760