Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    Deleted

What is the inherent reason to have only dual spec

Its not like having to reconfigurate one of your dual spec settings to get third spec is anything important. There is no reason to not have 3spec system.

And why is tri-specc even needed?

Correct me if I'm wrong but dual specc was pt in to facilitate pve-pvp transitioning and helping out the tank/heal characters that didn't farm on alts?

And if you're among those that really need to jump around with 3 or more speccs... I tend to just be of the opinion of "enjoy one of the few real gold sinks in WOW" (I don't believe a real sink is an "otpional graphical bonus")

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    And why is tri-specc even needed?
    Because classes have 3 different specs? As a druid I have balance/resto as my two specs. But I additionally have 489 ilevel tank gear and would definitely queue for heroics/LFR if I could swap to my tanking spec. But I can't and so everyone else gets longer queue times because of one less person. And I'm sure there are many others in my similar situation. There is no good reason to not allow 3 specs or unlimited specs short of Blizz just doesn't want it. They say they want your choices to be meaningful but that is a load of shit. Your choices haven't been meaningful since...ever.

Additionally, allowing you to freely change any specs/talents would encourage people to try off the wall things. This happened a ton in GW1 where you could freely swap any talent/skills/etc anytime you were in town with no cost and it caused no harm to the game. It in fact promoted new and exciting builds. This is not as big anymore due to the change in talent trees though.
    Last edited by NightZero88; 2013-09-26 at 03:11 PM.

Signature Created by Jassinta

And if you're among those that really need to jump around with 3 or more speccs... I tend to just be of the opinion of "enjoy one of the few real gold sinks in WOW" (I don't believe a real sink is an "otpional graphical bonus")
    I don't care about the gold cost, it's just a hassle going to the trainer and moving all your buttons around everytime (and I do that a few times a week)

Quote Originally Posted by Oratory View Post
    I don't care about the gold cost, it's just a hassle going to the trainer and moving all your buttons around everytime (and I do that a few times a week)
    To which people will reply download that one addon that saves your bars which I also think is dumb. I don't want to use a third party addon to do something because Blizz is dumb and lazy.

Dual spec was created because back in Vanilla, and even TBC, if you were a tank or a healer you had to respec just to farm. I don't believe it was ever intended to let you fit every role.

It really isn't really necessary now with all the talent/spec changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    Its not like having to reconfigurate one of your dual spec settings to get third spec is anything important. There is no reason to not have 3spec system.
    Because if you could freely change spec whenever and wherever you wanted there would be no difference between any given person of a class.

There is identity to being a frost/fire mage, holy/ret paladin or a demo/afflic warlock.
    When you have all three specs, every warlock becomes just a warlock, every paladin is just a paladin, and every mage is just a mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Because classes have 3 different specs? As a druid I have balance/resto as my two specs. But I additionally have 489 ilevel tank gear and would definitely queue for heroics/LFR if I could swap to my tanking spec. But I can't and so everyone else gets longer queue times because of one less person. And I'm sure there are many others in my similar situation. There is no good reason to not allow 3 specs or unlimited specs short of Blizz just doesn't want it. They say they want your choices to be meaningful but that is a load of shit. Your choices haven't been meaningful since...ever.

Additionally, allowing you to freely change any specs/talents would encourage people to try off the wall things. This happened a ton in GW1 where you could freely swap any talent/skills/etc anytime you were in town with no cost and it caused no harm to the game. It in fact promoted new and exciting builds. This is not as big anymore due to the change in talent trees though.
    The people that used to do exactly what you're talking about would be the first to get kicked from a group. "Kick this healer! He isn't specced correctly!" There was 1-2 viable builds per spec and if you didn't have one, you wouldn't go to things.

I personally don't think that there is any need to add tri-spec. I change my OS as needed. If my guild needs me to tank, I swap it to tank real fast. If I need to do dailies, windwalker it is. it's not even remotely a hassle to change it as needed.
    <Semi Retired> - Recruiting for 9.2!

10+ Year Old Account
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...23?page=32#622

"The question used to be, why don't we have a way to keep a spec for PvE and PvP? And to a lesser extent, wouldn't it be great if I could swap roles with my hybrid if needed without having to hearth and make everyone wait on me?

Those are the specific reasons for why we agreed with the sentiment of those questions, and dual spec now exists in the game. It's great (kind of) that some people have found uses for it outside of that, having two slightly variant builds of the same spec for different situations, however, it's not our intent with multiple specs to encourage that type of gameplay, and thus it's not our intent to offer tri or quad or quint, etc. specs.

Obviously having an array of possible specs to choose from would be convenient for any number of reasons, but it would also encourage situations where people are using it to shift their builds around for each individual encounter or task. Those are the kinds of options that quickly stop being options, and instead become a requirement. And as they become a requirement our necessity to design and balance around it changes it from a nice convenience option to a core piece of the game design puzzle.

A lot of people like to throw the phrase 'slippery slope' at us when we make certain changes, and dual spec is actually truthfully one of those systems. Once we have two specs, why not three? If three, why not four? But, we have our hiking boots on, and don't intend to lose footing on this just yet. BUT sliding down muddy hills is a lot of fun, so you never know."

That's back in 2011, but I doubt much have changed since then.
    Last edited by Santti; 2013-09-26 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Because if you could freely change spec whenever and wherever you wanted there would be no difference between any given person of a class.

There is identity to being a frost/fire mage, holy/ret paladin or a demo/afflic warlock.
    When you have all three specs, every warlock becomes just a warlock, every paladin is just a paladin, and every mage is just a mage.
    What? This makes no sense. There is no identity to being a spec. Every player can be exactly the same as any other player by going to a trainer and changing specs and swapping talents to match. Whether I have to go to a trainer to do it or simply hit the 3rd spec button on my bar makes 0 difference.

Thus far they have refrained from giving us tri-spec because not being able to be every spec adds weight to the specs you do choose. It makes the decision moderately important. It customizes your character. And being that it's one of the last limitations that actually does that, they're unlikely to lift it.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Dual spec was created because back in Vanilla, and even TBC, if you were a tank or a healer you had to respec just to farm. I don't believe it was ever intended to let you fit every role.

It really isn't really necessary now with all the talent/spec changes.
    Just because it "isn't necessary" doesn't mean it would hurt anything. Thats not good reasoning at all. I don't think portals from Dalaran to every major city is necessary... but we still had/have em.

Honestly, outside paladin, druid, and monk. I don't see much reason to need more than 2 speccs.

They are the ones that can tank, heal, or dps.

If you're jumping around and really spending that much time playing with 5+ builds? Roll an alt for it and gear them up. The differences between some classes dps builds aren't worth a third specc, imo. And since I can't see a reason to justify freely utilizing a tri-specc (or quad specc or any more additional speccs) for all the classes I don't see a reason for it to be made available.

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    Thus far they have refrained from giving us tri-spec because not being able to be every spec adds weight to the specs you do choose. It makes the decision moderately important. It customizes your character. And being that it's one of the last limitations that actually does that, they're unlikely to lift it.
    In my opinion, its just a time waster. I still need to change sometimes. If I were locked into only two specs ever, you might be on to something.

10+ Year Old Account
    well given that accessibility is a guiding beacon of light in wow now, it is actually quite reasonable to ask why they don't offer tri-spec. The funny thing about accessibility is that, once you accept the premise that it is universally good and convenience is good, you really run out of arguments against almost any game simplification/convenience feature.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    What? This makes no sense. There is no identity to being a spec. Every player can be exactly the same as any other player by going to a trainer and changing specs and swapping talents to match. Whether I have to go to a trainer to do it or simply hit the 3rd spec button on my bar makes 0 difference.
    this is the essence of the issue. once dual-spec was allowed, arguments against it and tri-spec were greatly devalued.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Honestly, outside paladin, druid, and monk. I don't see much reason to need more than 2 speccs.

They are the ones that can tank, heal, or dps.

If you're jumping around and really spending that much time playing with 5+ builds? Roll an alt for it and gear them up. The differences between some classes dps builds aren't worth a third specc, imo. And since I can't see a reason to justify freely utilizing a tri-specc (or quad specc or any more additional speccs) for all the classes I don't see a reason for it to be made available.
    Just because you don't value or care about something, doesn't mean anything, really. Be objective when you argue a point please. "Well, mickybrighteyes doesn'ty see a need for it guys, so we aren't implementing it" isn't a good reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    imo ? Gold Sink
    Lot of wow players care less a nickle about mini pets, or vanity items, mounts etc, maybe (to less degree) transmog too
    How to force them to gold sink those serious players ? Limiting spec

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dual was added to address the fact no one would heal or tank dungeons when leveling because dps was almost always the best leveling spec.

Tri spec, however, would be no different than removing specs entirelly. You'd have access to, and be expected to master, all specs. And no, they won't add a 4th spec to all classes. Gc said itd be impossible to balance.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Just because you don't value or care about something, doesn't mean anything, really. Be objective when you argue a point please. "Well, mickybrighteyes doesn'ty see a need for it guys, so we aren't implementing it" isn't a good reason.
    Isn't that an inherent problem with tri-spec anyway? It benefits hybrids (Druids especially) the most and pure classes only marginally and making their choices less significant. Opinions work both ways, you know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oratory View Post
    I don't care about the gold cost, it's just a hassle going to the trainer and moving all your buttons around every time (and I do that a few times a week)
    Use the "Action Bar Saver" addon. Really makes swapping between more than 2 preconfigured setups really easy, short of going to the trainer to respec.